Fight! Fight! Fight!

Sugarskull

• Members

Ugh:facepalm:

How many of you know the terror of seeing a brawling group of men tumbling towards you and all your gear? Quick, grab what you can and get out of the way!

Gosh darn drunks!! They just about killed our drumkit. They would have completely destroyed the guitars if I hadn't grabbed them and ran.

Fighting gets me so upset. It's one thing to see a bit of shoving and a few words. I can mostly handle that, but full on bloodshed affects me deeply. What a crappy gig. :(:mad:

• Members

Dang...

I really hate it when a fight breaks out at a gig. It messes up things for everyone.

Boomers played a gig in Salem, Oregon last month. We had just started the last song of the last set when a couple jerks started brawling in the back. Lights on, taps off, and that was the end of an otherwise great night.

I was loading out my gear and the parking lot was full of drunk @ss-h@les. One of them grabs me by the arm:

Drunk: 'Where the f*ck do you think you're going?'

Me, reaching under the front seat for my 18" hickory tire club: "I'm going home. If you back off, you can go home, too."

He got the point. :D

• Members

Stink one.

It's weird when people fight when your playing ,Do you stop or keep going....

If you're playing rock, heavy metal, or punk you keep going, but anything else and you need to start wildly flinging roundhouses at any and all things that come near your gear keep your bass on though. I've found that if you learn to push the bass slightly behind you as you spin your roundhouse has alot more force.

• Members

If you're playing rock, heavy metal, or punk you keep going, but anything else and you need to start wildly flinging roundhouses at any and all things that come near your gear keep your bass on though. I've found that if you learn to push the bass slightly behind you as you spin your roundhouse has alot more force.

Good advice :lol:

• Members

I'm a fan of having some visual element on stage. I have yet to buy something like a laser system or cool lights, so I decorate my amp. Usually, I place a katana on a sword holder on top of the amp. Not a super-high end piece, mind you, a display piece. I've never been in a situation where a fight breaks out at the gig, but I don't want any of my gear (or bandmates, to an extent) to get hurt if it can be prevented.

Plus, it just looks cool.

• Members

Don't bother "wildy flinging" punches. If you're gonna hang where fights can and do happen--learn the skill. Big drunk people and even little drunk people can still hurt you and your gear if you don't learn to fight properly, which is to say, without rules drilled into you by society.

Also, you can hurt people more than need be by NOT learning to fight properly. Take the time, spend some money, get the training from a qualified instructor. You'll be glad you did. :thu:

BTW, I'm not talking learning MMA with competition rules. Learn something strictly street, strictly business. Don't misunderstand me, I really appreciate the MMA guys and have no desire to bang heads with any of them. They're finely tuned athletes, young strong and tough. I respect what they do. On the other hand, I don't want to learn an art that has sport rules, either. Because I'm not a finely tuned athlete who's young strong and tough, I need an art with no rules, no limitations, and no unnecessary inhibitions. YMMV. :thu:

• Members

The best thing to do is to find the nearest CO2 fire extinguisher if they have one. Give the rowdies the "Chill test".

Yes:thu:

Dry-chem ABC's are messy, but they get the job done too.

I've used my P-bass several times. It helps to have a long strap and sling-low. The headstock ramming into the rib cage is almost always a deal-breaker.

• Members

Attach a bayonet to your headstock.

Stops brawls DEAD in their tracks!

I had one of my former lead guitarist's drunk friends decide that he should hug my former lead guitarist. In the form of a drunken leaping choke hold. Both of them went tumbling. Almost took out his entire guitar rig with that $3000 amp head, my PA's speaker tower and some lighting.

We flipped out at the drunk, but my guitarist took exception to our angry reaction.

Go figure.

• Members

That sucks. I've yet to be in that situation, but I'm sure it would make me pretty uncomfortable as well. I'm not really a fighter, I don't see the point.

Am I the only one that remembers el cabong?

:D

• Members

Yet another advantage of my style of play. The only ones who ever get hurt at one of my gigs are the slow ones trampled by the fast ones fleeing the stage area. The band is never in any danger.

• Members

I've always thought this bass was made with chicken-wire cage stages in mind:

MM%20SUB4_f.jpg

Ah yes,the tuning key of death! We used to play some really rough places in the late 70's. I actually used that G tuner on my MM a couple of times. A tap to the head was the first warning,the second was not as gentle.Yes it will make someone bleed. Fights do suck at a gig for everyone,but in certain places they are almost expected. After Roadhouse came out,everyone wanted to be a badass it seemed. Thank god most of them got over it.

• Members

My first 5 or 6 gigs years ago ALL had fights. They were all real hillbilly joints in the catskills. Some of them not even there anymore. Saw some dude get his ear lopped off at some Main St dive in Greene Co. That was one of my final gigs with that particular band.

• Members

I watch out more for my physical protection than my gear. At one gig years ago, a stoopid ass jumped into my mike stand from the pit, and the mic hit my front tooth, chipping it.

Ever since then I look out for number one. Gear can always be replaced.

Archived