Just for bassists:

Teletypist

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as bass is my main instrument and I love it to pieces, if I could magically make myself good at any instrument, it would be concert piano.

When I was 6, I got sent off to the conservatory to learn piano. Hated it, loved it, but it gave me the foundation to my next love - harmonica.

Serious consequences! But - it laid the foundation to appreciation of instruments and what they bring to the table.

I still love the clarity of tone a good piano can bring to the mix.

• Members

Don't get me wrong - I love playing bass. I've been doing it for 35 years and I think I'm good.

-however-

Given the choice when I was much younger, I think I'd have chosen cello. The richness of the sound is just phenomenal.

• Members

I started off on trombone and played it for a few years. I then switched to piano, which got me involved with synths, which got me involved with sampling, which got me involved with drum machines, signal processing and finally engineering. During that time, I learned my way around the fretboard and learned drum set rudiments, both from hanging around the instructors.

I'm playing what I'm supposed to be playing. ;)

• Members

Bass is the instrument that best fits with my personality.

+Eleventy-One, in all ways, shapes, fashions, and forms. I played Tuba, Trombone, Trumpet, a little bit of saxophone(just trying something different in band), some steel drums, a hair of guitar/piano, then bass. Bass is the only thing I've really stuck with.

• Members

Fiddle.

But I don't look at it like that's what I wish to be great at. Because I still could if I wanted to be.

Instead, I just wish I could have started taking fiddle lessons at a really young age. It's one of those instruments that really helps to start young.

OTH, I started piano young. And I wish I never would have stopped. :idk:

• Members

Piano. It's the quintesential one man band instrument IMO

That is generally the 1st thing to come to my mind. However, it's utter lack of portability kills it for me. I miss the ol' days when every other household and public building had a piano. That would virtually eliminate the portability issue for me.

FWIW, bass guitar is my home because it fits my personality so well, and in so many ways. :)

Archived