School me on Warwicks.....

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Listen, me and George have butted heads on a number of occasions but he's a really good guy from what I can tell. Just because he doesn't candy coat {censored} doesn't make him an asshole, just makes him honest.

We don't need to create drama by calling each other names over stupid {censored}.

Dan

I know he's a good guy.....but I'm the type to say it like it is too.

We're both stubborn. :p

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I GASsed for Warwick back in the day.

I saved up my loot and bought a Warwick Thumb 4 string for full pop, back in 1990 or so. It was a neck thru with MEC pups. IIRC, they didn't even build bolt-on neck basses then. I loved the baseball-bat neck & wenge and bubinga goodness. The MECs never really did it for me though, so I flipped it.

I had the good fortune in 1992 to buy a 1989 neck-thru Warwick Thumb 6 string with Barts. I still kick myself for selling that bass. Hands down, the bass I miss the most of all I owned over the years.

I've played a few since. The $$ did nothing for me, but I did enjoy my spin on a Streamer Jazzman.

• Members

I read that both Warwick and Spector bought the design from Steinberger.
:idk:

Yeah, I've heard it a few different ways. Ned sold the design to Stuart Spector for N.A., and sold it to Warwick for Europe. The other was I heard Warwick bought the rights through Spector.

Either way, I believe Warwick always had the legal right to that body shape, and Funkee owes us an apologee.

• Members
Yeah, I've heard it a few different ways. Ned sold the design to Stuart Spector for N.A., and sold it to Warwick for Europe. The other was I heard Warwick bought the rights through Spector.

Either way, I believe Warwick always had the legal right to that body shape, and Funkee owes us an apologee.

I laugh when I saw the ad campaign from Spector, "building great basses for 20 years, 30 including stolen designs" something like that. :rolleyes:

• Members

Hey Toejam. I know you had a recent $$. Was it a 4 stringer or a 5er? I always liked the 4 string baseball bat neck, but never tried a 5er. The 6 string I had was an absolute beauty for a neck. Nice and wide and flat.

I had a 2006 $$ Corvette 5. The neck was no thicker than my current bass, BTB656. Wide and flat. 19mm spacing. Beautiful neck to play, I really wish I had bought the STD instead of the $$ I would still have it if I did.

• Members

I've had a Rockbass Corvette for a few years; I like it a lot, but it's not flawless. The sound is a little thin, the electronics are a little noisy, but it was an inexpensive ebay purchase so I don't sweat the small stuff. I use it on long bar-type gigs because it's much lighter than the G&L and stays comfortable for 3-plus hours. I don't think I'd buy another one (looking at Spector Euros myself now), but it's a good product for the price, IMO. m/

• Members

I've had a Rockbass Corvette for a few years; I like it a lot, but it's not flawless. The sound is a little thin, the electronics are a little noisy, but it was an inexpensive ebay purchase so I don't sweat the small stuff. I use it on long bar-type gigs because it's much lighter than the G&L and stays comfortable for 3-plus hours. I don't think I'd buy another one (looking at Spector Euros myself now), but it's a good product for the price, IMO. m/

Rockbass /= Warwick. :mad:

:p

• Members

The local guitar center has a Corvette $$ 4 string for $980 on clearance. I really like the sound, and the neck feels fine. It's thicker than what I'm used to, but it's super slick.

I probably should have played something else too, so I could decide if it was the Warwick I liked, or the Little Mark I was playing through.

The bass had a monster scratch on it, and they said no layaway on clearance, so it's off my mind.

Archived