School me on Warwicks.....

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I don't understand the whole "fat neck thing" The Warwick $$ Corvette I owned had the nicest neck out of all the basses I have owned/played. It wasn't thick at all. I wish I'd bought the Std. Corvette though, the $$ IMO is too much, the pickups are in the way and are too close together.

I will buy another Corvette one day when the right one comes along.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's that the profiles tend to be rounder and thicker front to back. If you like that, you like it. I personally don't. In fact a lot of people don't, I've known more than one person who bought a Warwick and then had the neck shaved down.

I love the big neck - especially on the 5'r. I cant stand 5-stringers from most other companies because they're made with {censored}ty little neck profiles.

• Members

I love the big neck - especially on the 5'r. I cant stand 5-stringers from most other companies because they're made with {censored}ty little neck profiles.

Yeah, and some people do..{censored} some people like that crazy wide fretboard that Warwick puts out:eek:. I'm more of a jazz neck guy. The less effort I have to put in the better. I'd still love to own a a Thumb 5 banger, I'd actually like to find one of the 90's Thumbs as I like their neck profiles a lot more. Of course then you have to pay attention to not snapping the {censored}ing headstock off:facepalm:

• Members

I don't understand the whole "fat neck thing" The Warwick $$ Corvette I owned had the nicest neck out of all the basses I have owned/played. It wasn't thick at all. I wish I'd bought the Std. Corvette though, the $$ IMO is too much, the pickups are in the way and are too close together.

I will buy another Corvette one day when the right one comes along.

The $$ I had had a narrow but FAT neck. Way more depth than a lot of basses I have played. It didn't bother me, but the way the neck went REALLY far out from the body did

• Members

Yeah, and some people do..{censored} some people like that crazy wide fretboard that Warwick puts out:eek:. I'm more of a jazz neck guy. The less effort I have to put in the better. I'd still love to own a a Thumb 5 banger, I'd actually like to find one of the 90's Thumbs as I like their neck profiles a lot more. Of course then you have to pay attention to not snapping the {censored}ing headstock off:facepalm:

In '96-'98, they had added the heel to the back of the neck to add that strength.

• Members

Greatest bass construction company out there.

Why do you say that??? I don't see them as being built any better than a Spector or Schecter, for example... I'm not saying they're worse - but why don't you tell us what makes their build quality better???

- georgestrings

• Members

Why do you say that??? I don't see them as being built any better than a Spector or Schecter, for example... I'm not saying they're worse - but why don't you tell us what makes their build quality better???

- georgestrings

Spectors I've playes sound like complete ass. There was a high end USA one (I'm not sure of the model names and numbers in Spector) at the local store, and it was soooo thin sounding!!! The lower end models are 'fine' but nothing special. YMMV.

Schecter are good value but there's always something missing, I don't know what it is.

Warwicks, for me, are comfortable, sound great, look cool, fit and finish works for me. Now that's not to say they are perfect, not by any means, the expense is definitely a downside, but the used market is abundant, if you have a sloppy technique you can find them hard to play (IME) and they all have a distinctive sound, if you don't like it Warwicks aren't for you.

These factors aren't unique to any bass company, generally, and I'm still at a loss why other companies don't attract the same hate that Warwick seem to (as far as I can see).

• Members

Warwick has the best customer service around.

I've had nothing but completely positive experiences with Warwick's CS.

They also let their customers create a new bass design (a single cut which they expressed interest for) that is going to be finalised soon, the designer receives a few instruments for their design!

I think that's pretty excellent!

• Members

It isn't the first time they do this.

There was a similar event years ago that ended with the Altus. Since the name was taken already they had to take them off the market and re-released it as the FNA, which according to urban legends means {censored}ing Not Altus.

• Members

I have two Warwicks. Both from the time before they moved the plant. One is a Thumb n/t from '85. It has the old one-piece bridge and the Seymour Duncans they used at the time. To me it sounds really good. Muscular bass and nice mids. The neck is, with the legacy from Framus, narrow and a little chunky. With time the open pores have been smoothed down to bliss. It's ergonomically carved and sits well on my belly and I have no problems with diving. It's not especially heavy either. My '78 J is heavier. The other is a Fortress from

• Members

Plus those older Thumbs and the like had the Barts and I'm not sure what preamp, but gawd, were they sexy...

Stefan used them on the first 3 DMB records and I've always been in love with that tone, even if it's a little light in the mix.

• Members

Thank you. I like it a lot myself. Needs a new nut, however. The old one is nearly down to the board, but it makes for easy slides.

PS.: I was really eager for your Dolphin.

Yeah that def was a "one that got away" type deal. I really shouldn't have let it go, considering you just don't see those come up. My gf was mad, she loved that thing.

• Members

Yeah that def was a "one that got away" type deal. I really shouldn't have let it go, considering you just don't see those come up. My gf was mad, she loved that thing.

Exactly. I was mad at you, when you wouldn't let me buy it.

Don't read: Looks at horn and starts wondering about teh g/f.

Runs.

Archived