can someone please tell me this isn't a good idea...

Chlo_treacher

• Members

Yeah, there are a million Little Mark IIs popping up for sale used because of people anticipating all of the new Markbass products....

Save yourself some cash and buy used!

Oh, and just FWIW, I got rid of my Markbass and have a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0. I couldn't be happier...

• Members

Every day there are more and more small and light heads hitting the market, you'll get much better value for your money by waiting a few months.

There, how's that?
:)

perfect thanks, hehe!!.....but i still want the damn thing!!!! its getting to the point that I'm being landed so many god damn gigs that I think i need to invest in some decent gear. the cab i've got is huge and totally not transportable..infact it's been currently used as a bed side table!! but if I had a amp head......

:mad: for f-sake this is getting unbareable!

• Members

perfect thanks, hehe!!.....but i still want the damn thing!!!! its getting to the point that I'm being landed so many god damn gigs that I think i need to invest in some decent gear. the cab i've got is huge and totally not transportable..infact it's been currently used as a bed side table!! but if I had a amp head......

:mad:
for f-sake this is getting unbareable!

I'd go with the LM II for gigs - more volume than you'll ever need and the same features as the 250.

For a gig amp the LM II is darn near perfect: DI could be better but who cares?

Also there COULD be a mute switch but again, who cares?

It's got the tone you need, especially for upright.

I pulled my back a few weeks ago and said "enough", and finally got the LM II.

My back is still bugging me though: don't wait until you hurt your back to get a rig that won't kill you moving it around.

• Members

This is the correct answer - better DI, better support, and most likely a better record of reliability... Both sound really good, but Genz's many plusses carry that decision for me...

The Markbass has a more natural tone that is perfect for URB: a lotta upright guys love the Markbass - haven't heard ot too many that are playing through the Shuttle.

Ultimately an amp is only as good as the tone it provides; not knocking the Shuttle at all but I've never heard anyone describe it's tone as the "natural sound of the bass" as I have with the Little

Mark.

Traditionally, URB requires an amp that doesn't color the tone is what I'm trying to say.

• Members

i don't mean to disparage the mark II in particular, as my question has more to do with the idea of a lightweight bass amp in general: what's the point of being able to carry around a head to gigs if the cabinet still weighs a ton? are there clubs with a bass cab and no head?

imo, either go for portability and use a bass DI through the effects loop of the club's bass rig (bypassing said amp head's suckiness), or say screw portability and get the best sounding head and cabinet you can afford.

• Members

Your prolly right about theDI, but are you sure your not WAAAY off with your other remarks?

Well, I don't think there's any doubt that Genz-Benz supports their products better(Roger and Andy vs Guitar Center - need I say more?) - and truth is, I've heard of more than a few MarkBass failures, and little, if any from Genz-Benz...

- georgestrings

Archived