POS Rig Vs. Top of the Line Rig

burdizzos

• Members

Clearly, but I think that's the way Z-x was leaning. Had he prefaced his "{censored}ing stupid" remark with something like, "If you play in a market where most venues do not have installed sound.", then everything would have been fine.

Aaand...

If you book a gig at a venue w/o or less than desirable sound, you rent or hire-out. You don't dis people for investing in inspiring rigs. You dis 'em for thinking they need BIGGER rigs instead of doing the right thing-

rent or hire-out an appropriate PA for the gig you agreed you could handle. Part of being a professional is accessing the situation ahead of time.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brian, you keep referring to "your town", without acknowledging they cover a gigging area of several hundreds, if not thousands, of square miles. Thats probablyover a dozen towns and venues thay deal with on a regular basis, while you mention 3 (three) clubs that you go to all have PAs, and that the "top 40 cover band" is the only one who brings thier own PA rig. THEY (ZX and Burdi) ARE A COVER BAND.

• Moderators

Is my market seriously the only one in the country where a working band is required to have a PA?

The only? No way. However, when I gigged DC I was at the Black Cat quite a bit and the 9:30 Club once and obviously those two places provided the PA for us. I hadn't gigged in any clubs that required PAs, but based on what I know of the area, your experiences don't shock me.

• Members

To Z-x saying that something is "{censored}ing stupid" is similar to you saying, "I wouldn't do it that way, but if it makes you happy, then have a good time and may your life be showered with peace and rainbows."

;)

Is my market seriously the only one in the country where a working band is required to have a PA?

As I posted earlier, no. It must be a regional thing.

• Members

To tell us our bass rigs are obsolete and unnecessary and the cash should be dumped into a PA system, that none of us will use because we're not playing empty buildings, is downright INSULTING and shows a completely piss-poor understanding of how real gigging happens around the world. It's a very narrow-minded and horse-blinders view of the music industry.

I just thought this had to be repeated. The world is full of stupid musicians because they don't spend their money in accordance with the needs of a cover band in VA. Dontchaknow? :rolleyes:

• Members

My band in college had a PA and used it almost exclusively. We played a ton of parties & none of them had house sound. I think we played 3 gigs where there was an actual house sound system.

My metal band didn't play a single gig where there wasn't house sound.

Depends on your situation, but I'm on the side of the average listener not being able to tell the difference between a Peavey rig and an Aguilar rig.

• Moderators

Depends on your situation, but I'm on the side of the average listener not being able to tell the difference between an Peavey rig and an Aguilar rig.

I'm on the side of the average bassist not being able to tell the difference. :eek:

• Members

My point was exactly what you just proved as well -- the people posting near Chicago all seem to have bars with installed PA, and there's so many forum members from that area in this thread that it's making it look like bars unanimously have this setup all over the country.

There are many clubs that do not have PA. It's understood that a professional music group will access the situation ahead of time and rent PA or hire-out the sound for the job.

I think we get a lot of kids thru here whose egos would rather they have a bigger rig. It's more glamorous than worrying about having a proper PA setup in order for the band to sound it's best.

• Moderators

There are many clubs that do not have PA. It's understood that a professional music group will access the situation ahead of time and rent PA or hire-out the sound for the job.

I think we get a lot of kids thru here whose egos would rather they have a bigger rig. It's more glamorous than worrying about having a proper PA setup in order for the band to sound it's best.

Which is why I try to say fairly regularly, your rig is for your personal use and the PA is for the crowd.

• Members

this is coming from a guitarist's perspective, so the whole tone issue is dramatically different...but in the circuits i typically play in the clubs ALWAYS provide the PA & soundguy, and you don't have much of an option to bring your own; which means you have to be prepared for any type of situation for every gig

you don't have to spend several thousand by any means, but it's important to have a good sounding live rig...the audience may not know the difference between an ampeg b2 v.s. a mesa big block head, but the amp you use is a part of what they hear from the band overall...and they know when one band on a bill sounds better/worse than the others, even if they can't tell you why

when you're trying to make your money by building a following and merch sales, you need to be that band who sounds better than the others...again tho i'm a guitarist, and one who plays metal at that, getting a heavy but clear tone onstage is never an easy task, especially when you've got two guitars going

I totally agree with these statements.

• Members

My "bar rig" would be a bass in the $400-$500 range (something that looks good on stage, sounds decent, and you won't be afraid to gig with it), a SansAmp DI (or Countryman if you want a clean signal), and a powered floor monitor. Done. Walk in with the bass in one hand, the monitor in the other, and the DI and cable in your pocket.

I could never gig with a setup like that.

I need a good rig behind me so i can connect with my instrument and play my best.

• Members

I am sure to piss off some of the respectable members of this forum, but I am going to go ahead and go here, IEMs are for pussies.

Score one for ignorance.

I have less than $1000 in my bass rig at the moment, and it's the best amplified tone I've had. I'm not trying to carry the house most of the time, so it's nice to have a full-range monitor for myself and the band. We don't play in places advanced enough to run IEM systems, nor do we have the cash to buy such things, so we're stuck with the old-school tech, as it were.

• Members

Which is why I try to say fairly regularly, your rig is for your personal use and the PA is for the crowd.

I disagree. I specifically get as close to the stage as possible when I go see touring bassists so I can hear the show through their rigs and setups and avoid the PA. I have met numerous fans and non-bass players who do the same thing.

• Members

I could never gig with a setup like that.

I need a good rig behind me so i can connect with my instrument and play my best.

That sounds odd to me, but cool...

I guess I've played through headphones for long enough that I don't really need anything but a bass and monitor as well. :idk:

• Members

I disagree. I specifically get as close to the stage as possible when I go see touring bassists so I can hear the show through their rigs and setups and avoid the PA. I have met numerous fans and non-bass players who do the same thing.

So....you have to get as close to the stage as possible in order to hear the stage sound. Makes sense. :)

• Members

To tell us our bass rigs are obsolete and unnecessary and the cash should be dumped into a PA system, that none of us will use because we're not playing empty buildings, is downright INSULTING and shows a completely piss-poor understanding of how real gigging happens around the world. It's a very narrow-minded and horse-blinders view of the music industry.

*snip*

You're insulted over this? :rolleyes:

• Members

I disagree. I think that you'd be lucky to find many non-bassists who even give a {censored} about the bass guitar and how it sounds.

• Members

So....you have to get as close to the stage as possible in order to hear the stage sound. Makes sense.
:)

I would love it if some bigger name bands would tour super small clubs under a fake name with vocals only on the PA. It would be amazing.

• Moderators

That's fine, but when I'm playing, my stage sound isn't intended for you and isn't adjusted for your benefit. What you hear may be different from the PA, but it's not what I'm trying to communicate to you. If you don't care to listen to what I'm trying to communicate to you, that's up to you. If my stage sound was adapted to communicate to the audience, it would have to be large enough to replace the PA to do so effectively... which leads you right back to my point. :D

Archived