Iranian Protesters - Guns

dravenzouk

• Members

If the citizens of Iran had the equivalent of Second Amendment rights, they wouldn't be in this fix...

I understand that this is a commonly held view. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree quite honestly (hence posting this thread for discussion). I certainly think it's much more complex than that, and that things aren't so cut and dried perhaps. Could you elaborate; explain more of why you think this?

Also, some might argue (and I AM NOT saying I believe this) that the Basij Militia is essentially that equivalent. In one sense they are a "well regulated militia" made up of volunteer citizens. Their loyalty is to the Ayatollah, not necessarily "the government" -( which is of course sort of the same thing...... but not really...... but sorta.........although different.........kinda).

• Members

Kind of hard to speculate. I imagine there would be a lot of bloodshed.

I imagine a lot of civilians would be killed and injured because they would probably not be wearing military issue protective gear like Kevlar.

I'm thinking, "guns would not help this situation at all."

In all of the demonstrations I've witnessed in my lifetime as a US citizen, I can't remember one where the US citizenry brought out guns in conflicts against the military and/or police. i can remember one incident where the Nat'l Guard did fire on unarmed college students.

• Members

I imagine a lot of civilians would be killed and injured because they would probably not be wearing military issue protective gear like Kevlar.

In all of the demonstrations I've witnessed in my lifetime as a US citizen, I can't remember one where the US citizenry brought out guns in conflicts against the military and/or police. i can remember one incident where the Nat'l Guard did fire on unarmed college students.

It's not an issue of if they suddenly had guns now. It would have been a NON issue if they had them all along ;)

• Members

Also, some might argue (and I
AM NOT
saying I believe this) that the Basij Militia is essentially that equivalent. In one sense they are a "well regulated militia" made up of volunteer citizens. Their loyalty is to the Ayatollah, not necessarily "the government" -( which is of course sort of the same thing...... but not really...... but sorta.........although different.........kinda).

Not all Iranians have equal access to firearms.

The Supreme Leader Khameni, (not the popularly-elected President) controls the military, and the Basij militia. The Supreme Leader determines who has access to arms, and excludes most Iranians from the right to keep and bear arms.

• Members

I'd hazard a guess that the 2nd amendment is to make sure that things didn't get to that point- or if they did, to give the citizenry some ability to solve the problem.

After all, the Constitution is a document not designed to limit the citizens - it was designed to limit the government.

• Members

This is why politicians want to control and regulate and eventually eliminate gun ownership in America, IMO. It's all about kontrol, with a backwards "R" and {censored}.

Once they don't fear violent retaliation, they'll do anything they want. Not that anyone has really stood up to our government and their {censored}ed up decision making in recent years anyways.:rolleyes:

C7

• Members

Once they don't fear violent retaliation, they'll do anything they want. Not that anyone has really stood up to our government and their {censored}ed up decision making in recent years anyways.
:rolleyes:
C7

Is the government that bad that many people in America want to violently retaliate? That's not the impression I get

• Members

I'd hazard a guess that the 2nd amendment is to make sure that things didn't get to that point- or if they did, to give the citizenry some ability to solve the problem.

After all, the Constitution is a document not designed to limit the citizens - it was designed to limit the government.

Thank you.

• Members

Is the government that bad that many people in America want to violently retaliate? That's not the impression I get

I think if you took away many of the things that make us complacent, and people started paying attention to what's really going on, then yeah, it would be different, especially if the media wasn't in the pockets.

But hey, as long as I gots my PS360 with the nunchuk remotes, and everything else I'm totally like, entitled to, I won't complain about arcane and silly legislation and a president that just slapped my great great grandchildren with debt they'll never be able to pay off for programs that are destined to fail. It's all good.:D

C7

• Members

Yeah -- that worked out really well! ;)

Sometimes I get the feeling the Constitution was drawn up to protect "interests", not persons.

There is a case to be made that the two previous US elections weren't quite on the up and up. I didn't see a lot of enraged citizenry racing out into the streets with guns drawn in protest. Of course I realize this would mean one would actually have to get up from in front of the TV set.

And, I guess the majority of US gun owners agreed with the results. Still, in the spirit of patriotism and democracy they would have demanded the inaccuracies be investigated in the name of fair play. :)

Oh well, back to speculating about Iran.

• Members

And, I guess the majority of US gun owners agreed with the results. Still, in the spirit of patriotism and democracy they would have demanded the inaccuracies be investigated in the name of fair play.
:)

Oh well, back to speculating about Iran.

I would guess that the majority of gun owners didn't agree with the results of the most recent election, but that's a big ACORN to crack.:idea:

C7

• Members

It's impossible to say. It's a different culture, a different situation, and a different type of government against which the citizenry is protesting (can we call it 'rebelling' yet?). You've got so many variables, changing just one of them won't allow you to predict the outcome any more reliably.

• Members

I'd think that the situation would look worse, but end up better. I think the government would step up there attacks and the citizenry would respond in kind. However, I think that it would be much harder for the military to squash uprising, and the people would most likely have an outlet to express their political disenfranchisement.

If this doesn't make sense, just ignore it. I'm way too tired to be getting political. :)

• Members

I think if you took away many of the things that make us complacent, and people started paying attention to what's really going on, then yeah, it would be different, especially if the media wasn't in the pockets.

Fair enough - I think you'd agree things are a lot better than they are in Iran, or another country with similar governmental problems. That's how I see it.

But hey, as long as I gots my PS360 with the nunchuk remotes, and everything else I'm totally like, entitled to, I won't complain about arcane and silly legislation and a president that just slapped my great great grandchildren with debt they'll never be able to pay off for programs that are destined to fail. It's all good.
:D
C7

I think if you live somewhere were you have nunchuk guns all of life's problems disappear when you become a sniper ninja.

• Members

Exactly...

- georgestrings

• Members

I dunno. In some ways it doesn't seem that different than we have it in the US. There: rocks vs. guns... here: guns vs. big-ass guns. I mean, Uncle Sam could just bomb the {censored} out of your house if you were in his crosshairs. All the Constitutionally protected gats in the world aren't gonna help you then. BUT, w/ enough of a popular movement, the odds can be overcome. We just gotta always at least have rocks, I guess. :o

AHMADENIJAD'S TRYIN' TO TAKE AWAY MAH ROCKS! :mad:

Archived