Coleman concedes

fretless

• Moderators
It still is for good reason. If the popular vote determined the presidency, it would significantly decrease the influence of the smaller states. California, New York, Illinois, Texas, and Florida would basically decide who becomes president. That's not a scenario I would be comfortable with.

I know what you mean about adding Illinois in there. It's a shame. The state should be divided north/south of Interstate 80 and east/west of Interstate 39 north of I-80. That would pretty much allow Chicago to remain bankrupt and let the rest of us live in common sense.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It still is for good reason. If the popular vote determined the presidency, it would significantly decrease the influence of the smaller states. California, New York, Illinois, Texas, and Florida would basically decide who becomes president. That's not a scenario I would be comfortable with.

i am curious as to what the margins were for those states in the last few elections. A big state, with a lot of votes, is not decisive if it breaks close to 50/50. With popular voting there is no winner take all element. Im not really arguing for or against, just thinking about it.

• Moderators

2008 was somewhat different (about 50/50 territorywise). Here is Illinois' electoral map from 2004. You can see that Bush won almost the whole state except for Chicago and a few other areas and Kerry still took the state. Routinely, Cook, Peoria and Champaign counties along with an area in Western Illinois go Democrat. Kerry won Peoria County by 70 votes that year out of a touch over 82,000 votes.

Illinois-2004-counties.PNG

• Members

Nah, all the states still get their reps in Congress... They're the real decision makers, anyway. The President should be decided by popular vote.

Honestly, I think the campaign should be made into reality TV where the candidates debate (all candidates... Not just repub and dem) and maybe do some other stuff and the public votes at the end of the month who goes. It may sound stupid, but I really do think if we voted off the candidates we really don't like, we'd be left with a President that most people could at least live with.

• Moderators
Nah, all the states still get their reps in Congress... They're the real decision makers, anyway.

I gotta disagree. They are one of 535 mouths. The President has a bully pulpit. It's taken Ron Paul 20 some years to get people on board to audit the Fed.

• Members

It was an interesting saga, that's for sure. Coleman was declared the winner on election night by a few thousand votes, a total which was reduced slightly after the first administrative recount. Franken made some highly improbable net gains at every subsequent recount, and for awhile there it seems like Franken ballots were coming out of the woodwork. Once Franken got the lead by a few hundred votes, he held onto it and was backed up by the court system.

Who really won the election? I don't think we'll ever know. No matter who was declared the victor in the end, there would've been a lot of people viewing the election as stolen.

I despise Franken and think his positions and policies are atrocious, but Coleman was no great shakes either. He was especially weak when it came to standing up to the environmentalists.

• Members

Ah... wrong.

Personally, I'm glad to see it over and done with. If you lived in St. Paul while Coleman was mayor (and I did), you'd know just how much of a tool he was.

True. However, his tool-ness didn't match the unparalleled douchebaggery of current Saint Paul mayor, Chris Coleman (no relation of course). That guy is completely off the reservation.

• Members

I know what you mean about adding Illinois in there. It's a shame. The state should be divided north/south of Interstate 80 and east/west of Interstate 39 north of I-80. That would pretty much allow Chicago to remain bankrupt and let the rest of us live in common sense.

Well said.

Archived