So, I'm getting my brother a bass for his birthday and have no clue what to get!

Fuzzball24

• Members

I'm a keyboardist, I don't know anything about bass..

Anyways, my younger brother really wants to play the bass so my dad and I are going to get him one. I've kinda of researched online and I really don't know what basses are good. Also, we need an amp, so if anybody can help with that..

We have $300. Not a ton, but at the same time, I don't want buy a crap bass that he won't play because it doesn't sound decent. We also have no problem buying used.

He basically will want to play indie rock/pop and some metal.

So, shoot with some answers.

• Members

Used Ibanez Soundgear SR-400 Series and up (eBay or Pawn Shop), is a good middle-ground area to start, having a little bit of everything tone-wise and the best necks for n00b bassplayers. The 400 Series as a Minimum as they tend to get crappier the lower the series number (the higher the Series number they turn into some very well made instruments)

• Members

Ibanez GR200..versatile, good sound, easy neck and value for the money. Ibanez is very consistent with their production and they have more winners than duds. They surpass Squire in their price category, IMO. If you want something a little nicer, the Squire Classic Vibe series are excelent basses for the money. Don't forget the other expenses: Amp (just starting out in the bedroom, 15-30 watts should suffice), cable (10ft), strap (2-5$), and last but not least.......a tuner (25-40$).

• Members

Ibanez GR200..versatile, good sound, easy neck and value for the money. Ibanez is very consistent with their production and they have more winners than duds. They surpass Squire in their price category, IMO. If you want something a little nicer, the Squire Classic Vibe series are excelent basses for the money. Don't forget the other expenses: Amp (just starting out in the bedroom, 15-30 watts should suffice), cable (10ft), strap (2-5$), and last but not least.......a tuner (25-40$).

If you can, get one of those tuner/metronomes, they're very useful

• Members

Only thing Id concider for $300 and under (internet store prices not list) is ESP Ltd and Ibanez. The epi thunderbird bass isnt good choice for several reasons imo: Cant upgrade pups if wanting to. Very limited sound wise. Very awkward bass which feels like neck is much further out then it is distance reach wise. (Ive owned real gibson thunderbird and epis copy of so. My first single neck bass was gibson thunderbird back in 76. So is from direct experience with them).

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm probably gonna look for both of those Squier's used.

What about buying a pack? Are those good?

If not, what should I do for an amp? Any sugesstions?

Those squires are relatively new models so you won't find many, and they usually aren't that much cheaper than buying them new. Just a heads up so you don't waste time looking for something that may be there. They are nice basses though, so don't shy away from grabbing one new if that's what you're set on.

Also no, the packs are not good. They come with worthless 5w amps that sound like a can of bees, and are typically the lowest end bass that the manufacturer makes. You're better off buying a nice used bass and a cheap $100 25w-50w combo amp off craigslist (peavey, crate, ashdown).

• Members

Those squires are relatively new models so you won't find many, and they usually aren't that much cheaper than buying them new. Just a heads up so you don't waste time looking for something that may be there. They are nice basses though, so don't shy away from grabbing one new if that's what you're set on.

Also no, the packs are not good. They come with worthless 5w amps that sound like a can of bees, and are typically the lowest end bass that the manufacturer makes. You're better off buying a nice used bass and a cheap $100 25w-50w combo amp off craigslist (peavey, crate, ashdown).

Agreed on all counts...

- georgestrings

• Members

Alright.

Well, just in case, is there anything else that is as good or nearly as good as the Squire's in that price range?

• Members

Way better then the fender squire, better bridge, better pups, better necks, better fretwork, 6 in stead of 4 bolt neck for added sustain and tone. Excellent build qaulity overall. ESP LTD B50: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B50-Bass?sku=512723

Pups are aqllmost identical to dimarzio pj set, marginal difference found when swapped the stock ones for dimarzios years ago when had one. Only $239 at MF new. Add their deluxe gigbag and new spare set of strings plus some picks and a strap and cost is still under or barely at $300 complete.

Add small bass combo amp by Acoustic or Peavey along with instrument cord.

Archived