Cash For Clunkers

Thunderbroom

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ford is taking a bail out if they are participating in the cash for clunkers program.

Ford doesn't receive any of the cash. The rebate goes to the purchaser, not the automaker. Customers participate, not dealers. They may be seeing a jump in sales, but that is true across most brands (due to the program).

• Moderators
Ford doesn't receive any of the cash. The rebate goes to the purchaser, not the automaker. Customers participate, not dealers. They may be seeing a jump in sales, but that is true across most brands (due to the program).

I'm getting the impression that the money is going to the dealerships. It may be an incentive that is received by the consumer, but it must be signed over to the dealership. Otherwise, what would be the incentive to go buy a car and trust that your government will send you a $4500 check in the mail.

• Members
Both the seat and the steering wheel are adjustable. If you can't read the info display on the speedo cluster, move something so you can.

The 3 buttons on the dash left of the wheel are funky and are blocked from view. You'd need to move the wheel to the right to see 'em. The 3 line readout under the tach that the 3 buttons are used for are funky as well...."press the left button twice, now press the right button. Ok Now press the left button again. Now press the center button."

This is what the salesman said until I told him to hold it right there I heard enough BS. There were more combos of the buttons yet he didn't tell me about! Not a clean sports car display at all.

• Members

I'm getting the impression that the money is going to the dealerships. It may be an incentive that is received by the consumer, but it must be signed over to the dealership. Otherwise, what would be the incentive to go buy a car and trust that your government will send you a $4500 check in the mail.

Functionally, it is a $3500-4500 rebate/discount on the price of a new car. Still, unless the dealership is selling the car for full price and pocketing the customers rebate, they aren't the party receiving the rebate.

• Members
The car has to be less than 25 years old and you have to have owned and insured it for a year, so no.

Don't forget about the other 160 pages of the 'program' where more rules apply. Oh, and that no one has read. :idea:

What's going to happen to all those charities that take clunkers? Seems another unintended consequence. :rolleyes:

Creating short term artificial demand, another great government idea! If the consumer is smart, he/she will buy Korean and Japanese cars. I suspect that's where a lot of those billions will go. The rest will go to the bureaucrats salaries and benefits packages. ;)

• Moderators
Functionally, it is a $3500-4500 rebate/discount on the price of a new car. Still, unless the dealership is selling the car for full price and pocketing the customers rebate, they aren't the party receiving the rebate.

The dealer has to sign up for the program, not the consumer. If they aren't seeing the rebate money floating through their hands, there's no reason for them to go to all the trouble of killing engines with sodium silicate. It's a credit that the dealership fills out and submits, so that they get their $4500.

from -
http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) will be administering the program. Car dealers,
not consumers
, will need to register for the program on
www.cars.gov;
the only official Federal website.

from -
http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/bill-faq

Q: Is the value of the voucher tax-free to the consumer?

A: Yes. The CARS Act expressly provides that the credit is not income for the consumer. However,
the credit will be considered as income for the dealer.

Q: If dealers are offering cash incentives toward a new car purchase, would that be in addition to this credit?

A: The CARS credit is independent from manufacturer buying incentives. For example, if a car dealer is offering $3,000 off the list price of a car and you qualified for a $4,500 CARS credit from your trade-in, then the total reduction off the MSRP would be $7,500. You should always shop for the best deals before buying a car.

• Members
What's going to happen to all those charities that take clunkers? Seems another unintended consequence.
:rolleyes:

I'm not sure I know what you are referring to with this point. The cars are disabled upon the dealership being reimbursed for the refund money.

I definitely see what you are saying with the rest of your post, though.

• Moderators

I'm not sure I know what you are referring to with this point. The cars are disabled upon the dealership being reimbursed for the refund money.

What the program does is artificially raise the value of cheap transportation, so that it's more difficult for low income people to find affordable automobiles. Often times people donate their clunkers to charities as a write-off and the charity finds a low income person who needs the car.

• Members
What the program does is artificially raise the value of cheap transportation, so that it's more difficult for low income people to find affordable automobiles. Often times people donate their clunkers to charities as a write-off and the charity finds a low income person who needs the car.

Obama clearly hates black people. :mad:

• Members

The dealer has to sign up for the program, not the consumer. If they aren't seeing the rebate money floating through their hands, there's no reason for them to go to all the trouble of killing engines with sodium silicate. It's a credit that the dealership fills out and submits, so that they get their $4500.

Yes, the dealer is allotted the paperwork. The dealer is not receiving any gain from the program, though (other than the possibility of higher sales figures). The most notable element of this is that the dealer is taxed on the full amount of the sale, including the portion of the money that the gov't is chipping in. So a $20,000 car is sold to the consumer for $15,500, the gov't chips in the remaining $4500 and the dealer pays the taxes for a $20,000 sale. The consumer is still the one receiving the discount.

• Moderators
The consumer is still the one receiving the discount.

No kidding? Really? That's not what is being discussed. What's being discussed is who is getting the rebate money. It happens to be the dealership as the CREDIT is considered dealership INCOME by the government. The money is going to the dealership.

• Members

What's going to happen to all those charities that take clunkers? Seems another unintended consequence.
:rolleyes:

I've got a 2000 Ford Focus I can't sell (not running, can be fixed, just don't feel like it, need a new van for bebes, etc.), so I'm going to donate it to Purple Heart. It's too fuel efficient to qualify for the CARS program, so there you go.

• Members

Instead of trading in my vehicles (done this four times) I donate them to a charity that will come and pick up the car but it must be viable running machine. The donation is a tax deduction as a cahritable contribution. Some who were going to do this may not and opt for the 4500. This hurts the charity.

• Members

Doesn't it eventually get tiring to look for what's wrong--especially when the only action that's being taken is to look for something else that's wrong? Eventually, all you end up with is a picture of a world where you're a feckless entity inside of a nightmare of your own creation.

But you aren't feckless. You've got too much going on in life to be seen as feckless. So, the question is in what you get from finding the most 1-sided negative perspective of the Obama administration? Consider, your perspective is neither wrong nor right. So, your perspective says everything about you and really nothing about the administration.

No, this "cash for clunkers" program is a blatantly bad idea. T-boom's perspective is shared by countless others, and it does say quite a bit about the current administration. This is certainly not a case of "finding the most 1-sided negative perspective of the Obama administration."

We don't have to "look for what's wrong" when it's being forcibly crammed down our throats. We're not all economic illiterates, and we know that money doesn't grow on trees. While my neighbor might get a nice subsidy on his/her new car (and the automakers get yet another artificial stimulus, albeit in a different form), someone else has to pay for that. A market economy is not a zero sum game, but when the government spends, it most certainly is.

BrotherMango, your assertion that Thunderbroom, or any of us for that matter, are "a feckless entity inside of a nightmare of your own creation" is wrong. I wouldn't call this a nightmare, but it's most certainly not of our own creation. Most of us want to speak out against this massive government expansion because our own future is at stake, especially those with kids. It would be foolish and irresponsible not to stay informed and get involved, even if only a little bit. The American people aren't feckless, at least not all of them. The public outcry against the new healthcare initiative is evidence of that.

• Members

No kidding? Really? That's not what is being discussed. What's being discussed is who is getting the rebate money. It happens to be the dealership as the CREDIT is considered dealership INCOME by the government. The money is going to the dealership.

The dealership is getting the same money regardless of a rebate. They are selling a $20,000 car for $20,000. They aren't selling a $20,000 car and getting $24,500 for it. The customer is getting the rebate, as it is the customer's portion of the transaction that is changing. It is the customer receiving the benefit (a car for $4,500 less than its actual cost). Because the dealership is in charge of handling the disbursement of the rebate does not mean that the dealership is receiving a rebate.

• Members

And I saw two dealers on the tube this morning that have stopped the program because the eagle, thus far, has not {censored}. They are very worried they may not get their money. Gee, ya think?

• Members

I've got a 2000 Ford Focus I can't sell (not running, can be fixed, just don't feel like it, need a new van for bebes, etc.), so I'm going to donate it to Purple Heart. It's too fuel efficient to qualify for the CARS program, so there you go.

That's good news but the ones I have dealt will not accept one that isn't running.

• Members

The dealership is getting the same money regardless of a rebate. They are selling a $20,000 car for $20,000. They aren't selling a $20,000 car and getting $24,500 for it.

Thud's point is that $4,500 of that $20,000 is now coming from the gov't, and going to the dealership. Any way you slice it, it's gov money going to dealerships.

• Members

Thud's point is that $4,500 of that $20,000 is now coming from the gov't, and going to the dealership. Any way you slice it, it's gov money going to dealerships.

Yes, they are receiving gov't money. In the same way that the grocery store that accepts food stamps is receiving gov't money. It isn't a rebate to the dealership, though. It is a rebate to the consumer. The consumer is the beneficiary of the transaction.

Archived