Bridge replacement question

NitroBobby

• Members

I am going to be changing the bridge on my bass. I am looking for information on how to do this properly. My biggest concerns are:

(1) Placement. specifically, the measurements involved to ensure the bridge is in the right spot.

(2) Holes. the new bridge won't have the same hole pattern as the old one. do i need to fill in the old holes? what do i use to do this?

(3) common issues. i've never done this before, so any advice on avoiding common issues would be great.

if there is a thread that covers this already and someone has a link, i'd appreciate the help.

i did use the search, there were 11 pages and i went through a bunch of stuff. i didn't find anything that addressed these questions. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

kgb

• Members

I am going to be changing the bridge on my bass. I am looking for information on how to do this properly. My biggest concerns are:

(1) Placement. specifically, the measurements involved to ensure the bridge is in the right spot.

(2) Holes. the new bridge won't have the same hole pattern as the old one. do i need to fill in the old holes? what do i use to do this?

(3) common issues. i've never done this before, so any advice on avoiding common issues would be great.

if there is a thread that covers this already and someone has a link, i'd appreciate the help.

i did use the search, there were 11 pages and i went through a bunch of stuff. i didn't find anything that addressed these questions. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

kgb

What bass do you plan on doing this to?

• Members

I replaced the bridge on my Jackson bass with a Bad Ass II bridge. Those bridges are pretty good in my opinion. Gives the bass good sustain. The holes didn't line up, but I just screwed in new the screws that came with the Bad Ass II bridge. I would recommend using a power drill, as I did.

• Members

My methods are by no means scientific. I'll use blue painters tape to outline the old bridge, line up the new one, grab a yardstick making sure the E and the G will stay on the fretboard and then install the new one.

I wouldn't fill in the old holes and I'd hang onto the original bridge, by chance the new bridge doesn't work out or you sell the bass, you'll be glad you kept it, and it'll screw in no problem.

• Members

It really depends very much on what bass you are replacing the bridge on. Most standard bridges are perfectly fine in my experience and really dont need to be changed at all.

However, I ALWAYS replace standard Fender bridges with Leo Quan Badass11's - they make a definite improvement in the sustain/overtones imho! In fact the badass is simply the best replacement bass bridge on the market ...Gotoh etc also make some fine replacement bridges.

• Members

put masking tape on each side of the place where the bridge will go and mark off a line at the scale length

set the saddles at 3/4 way out and this is the position for the G saddle

as for holes...they probably all vary except for fender/badass i think

plug the old ones and drill new if required

make sure the bridge is dead central in line with the neck

Archived