Reinforce my decision to get badass bridge

bengerm77

• Members

So I decided today that I wanted to buy a new bridge for my neglected bass. The only reasonable option is to buy a badass II bridge and put it on myself. What are it's main advantages/perks; what can I expect in improvement in toanz?

Also when I went into the local store to purchase one of these doo-dads the guy behind the counter said that he just tried contacting the badass people and they wouldn't answer any means of communication and he thinks they're going out of business.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also when I went into the local store to purchase one of these doo-dads the guy behind the counter said that he just tried contacting the badass people and they wouldn't answer any means of communication and he thinks they're going out of business.

This is the news on the street.. most places have been out of stock of them for AGES.. Apparently they are going for $140 on ebay used..

• Members

Listen to some other suggestions. I've got two USELESS Badass bridges. One is unslotted and the other one has such booger-ed saddles not even Pete Wentz would want it.

I myself prefer just a vintage styled Fender bridge. I put a Gotoh on my fretless J and do like the results.

If my Badass bridges were slotted maybe I'd be more into 'em, but I think it's mildly stupid they sell bridges you can't just screw in.

• Moderators

...I think it's mildly stupid they sell bridges you can't just screw in.

I think it is exceptionally stupid they name their product Badass. :lol: It's a bass bridge. It is not badass in any way shape or form. In fact, it's the opposite of badass. It's nerdy.

• Members

The mojo of changing out bridges eludes me :( Most decent instruments have fine bridges. If it ain't broke, eh.

It drives me nuts that some idiot takes a Fender MIM bass, blows 150 bucks getting a "badass" installed and thinks he can recoup that on sale ;) 700.00 used MIM jazz basses anyone? I thinks not :p

• Members

I also recommend considering other brands. The Gotoh (201) is a better value than the BAII, I think; also, there are no-name, high-mass replacement bridges available at even lower prices.

When I paint my masterpiece, I'll likely use the Gotoh.

The only reasonable option is to buy a badass II bridge and put it on myself.

-- Just wondering why you think this is the 'only reasonable option' ?

• Members

I put a BAII on my Jaguar for the only reason that the bass is top heavy. It did add a little bit more weight at the bottom and reduced the neck dive a bit. If that's what you're after, I'd first recommend Hipshot Ultralight tuners. I actually did both and the tuners made the biggest difference.

Soundwise? I dunno... I really didn't notice much of a difference in sustain, or anything else for that matter.

If it were me... I'd spend the money on something else like a REALLY nice suede strap. That's something that helps me to enjoy playing.

But if you're dead set on a new bridge, go with a Gotoh.

• Members

Those look pretty cool. May I ask about how much they run?

The only one I could find was for a five-string, and is 98,- Euros, the four will be a little less. My guess is about 80-90 Euros. That would make it around 120,- Dollars.

• CMS Author

I'd just like to thank everyone who's posted that bridge replacement is not all that and a bag of chips. I replaced the stock MIM Jazz bridge with a Badass and swapped them back and forth twice, trying to discern some difference.

None.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock bridge on 99% of basses.

• Members

The mojo of changing out bridges eludes me
:(
Most decent instruments have fine bridges. If it ain't broke, eh.

It drives me nuts that some idiot takes a Fender MIM bass, blows 150 bucks getting a "badass" installed and thinks he can recoup that on sale
;)
700.00 used MIM jazz basses anyone? I thinks not
:p

$150 on a badass? Jeez... if he spent that then he deserves to get stung on resale value. :lol:

I have badass II's on two basses and they do the job fine. I bought them for more stability and also... extra weight (one of the basses was a bit neck heavy). Plus I like the look of them. :idk:

• Members

I'd just like to thank everyone who's posted that bridge replacement is not all that and a bag of chips. I replaced the stock MIM Jazz bridge with a Badass and swapped them back and forth twice, trying to discern some difference.

None.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock bridge on 99% of basses.

You need to get your hearing checked :)

• Moderators

I have two of them, and both of them have not only improved the tone of my instrument, but they've also helped eliminate any dead spots.

Those are both stability issues. If you were to exchange them for bridges of equal stability, you would experience the same effects.

• Members

Those are both stability issues. If you were to exchange them for bridges of equal stability, you would experience the same effects.

Stability and tone issues.

I use Badass bass bridges, and I like them. The price, the look of the bridge, and the name aren't issues for me. I've heard good things about the Gotoh, so I'm not saying one is better than the other, except the Badass has a much cooler name ;)

Archived