Reinforce my decision to get badass bridge

bengerm77

• Members

One thing about some 'fancy' bridges.. I have a Schaller on my Greco and I dunno.. theres something about all the adjustments available that makes the thing feel like it doesn't really 'lock in'.. like there are so many link in the chain that the string vibrations are deadened somehow..

Have a 201 on my P-Project.. rocks hard, feels like it really transfers every little bit of vibration, put it this way, nearly all of the Japanese custom manufacturers use the Gotoh bridges as stock..

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I found the metal base on both the Gotoh and the Badass to be so thick that on one bass the saddles were bottomed out and the action was still too high. I went back to the bent steel Fender original.

This man makes a good point! I experienced the same issue. I had to make the saddle grooves in the BAII really deep.

• Members

I found the metal base on both the Gotoh and the Badass to be so thick that on one bass the saddles were bottomed out and the action was still too high. I went back to the bent steel Fender original.

Yep. I had to shim the neck pocket on both basses--one with the Gotoh 201, the other with the BA II.

• Members

One thing about some 'fancy' bridges.. I have a Schaller on my Greco and I dunno.. theres something about all the adjustments available that makes the thing feel like it doesn't really 'lock in'.. like there are so many link in the chain that the string vibrations are deadened somehow..

Have a 201 on my P-Project.. rocks hard, feels like it really transfers every little bit of vibration, put it this way, nearly all of the Japanese custom manufacturers use the Gotoh bridges as stock..

Yeah, I have a higher end Gotoh bridge (504 or something...) on my customshop Aria. It's a nice bridge.

• Members

Huh. I really dig the BA on my Essex P. I didn't file grooves. I'm letting that happen from time/playing. No issues here. The improvement in sound is minuscule. But in music, it's all about the snowball effect of the details...for better or for worse.
Anyway, I feel it's money well spent, and it's working for me. :idk:

Then again, I liked the Wilkinson bridge on my ol' Carvin BB75. :D

• Members

+1

And the bass itself. I've added several BA's to basses and noticed a big difference on one, and literally none on others. My 78 Pbass benefited greatly from a BA II but I've not noticed a big or any difference at all on other basses. The 78Pbass is a very very light swampAsh (one of the lightest Pbasses I've played) but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Archived