UN small arms control treaty: is this true?

philthygeezer

• Members

In less than a year the U.S. government has gone from being one of the chief opponents of the proposed UN Small Arms Control Treaty to being a strong supporter. Elections do matter and have consequences.

As many predicted, the United States has changed its United Nations Gun Control Treaty position by joining other countries in the UN

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who knows?

I doubt we will end up banning these kinds of weapons here.

I know a democrat is in power so everyone is freaking out and being lead to believe we want to take away everyone guns ;-) so anything is possible.

I dont see why a responsible citizen shouldnt own a gun.

• Members

for what its worth, I dont own, never have owned nor plan to own a gun...

just that if you arnt a criminal I dont see why you cant own one.

I mean it IS inherently dangerous, but people make legal dangerous decisions all the time

but you dont think criminals retain this right? what if they just shoplifted a can of food?

• Members

Who knows?

I doubt we will end up banning these kinds of weapons here.

I know a democrat is in power so everyone is freaking out and being lead to believe we want to take away everyone guns ;-) so anything is possible.

I dont see why a responsible citizen shouldnt own a gun.

I doubted that the Gov't would own GM and Chrysler...but they did.

My father doubted that the GM stocks/bonds he owned would be nullified by the same government...but they were.

I doubted that this Prez would extend the much disliked wiretapping laws...but he did.

I have learned not to doubt a lot of stuff.

• Members

but you dont think criminals retain this right? what if they just shoplifted a can of food?

I draw the line at violent felony convictions. If you have been convicted of something like rape or assault or god forbid murder and are out of prison, you have effectively nullified your own personal right to own a firearm of any kind. Shoplifting isn't a violent crime, so I'd say that a convicted shoplifter hasn't forfeited that right like a convicted armed robber.

• Members

I doubted that the Gov't would own GM and Chrysler...but they did.

My father doubted that the GM stocks/bonds he owned would be nullified by the same government...but they were.

I doubted that this Prez would extend the much disliked wiretapping laws...but he did.

I have learned not to doubt a lot of stuff.

so you doubt doubt?

• Members

and what if we all {censored} lollipops?

I actually used to work with a guy who had gone to jail for robbing a gas station with a garlic press... he was a nice guy when he was sober.

FWIW I wouldnt trust him with anything let alone a gun, especially since last I heard he was back on crack and back in jail.

• Members

so you doubt doubt?

No, I don't doubt doubt. (I have learned not to doubt a lot of stuff.) Like a double negative. We Americans have traditionally let someone else (Uncle Sam) do things for us...things that we don't want to do. We need to watch the bean counters more closely.

• Members

To answer the original poster, yes this is true. They are using the auspices of preventing international gun smuggling as an excuse for this, and that is one of the many reasons things like kidnappings across the US mexico border have been more widely publicized lately. Justification. While MOST people in this country feel very strongly that we have the right to gun ownership, there ARE many out there who would like that right to no longer exist and to either strongly curtail that right or do away with it altogether. I'll leave it up to the individual to decide what they think the motivation for that would be.

Will it come to pass? Time will tell, but I think that the outcry that would comefrom the american public would still hold enough sway to keep it from happening. That and the fact that it is a direct infringement on our soveriegnty and a violation of our national constitution.

From a personal perspective, the UN can piss up a rope in general, and on this issue they can go play a long game of "hide and go {censored} yourself" as far as I am concerned. I didn't vote for a "one world" government making decisions on what a US citizen can and can not own, and I will be damned if I will abide by any law to this effect.

If they want my weapons back, they will get them back one bullet at a time. ;)

• Members

A nation should never ever cede aspects of sovereignty, especially not to silly UN agreements.

Yeah, Rwanda should have been free to encourage it's citizens to genocide :thu: the UN definitely should have intervened LESS.

Indonesia NEVER should have given up East Timor, especially not because the UN was actively working against Indonesian sovereignty.

I mean, say what you will about this specific example, but the UN has some flaws but certainly it has stood for some peace and fairness in the world, even at the cost of the 'liberty' of some countries and rulers.

• Members

I actually used to work with a guy who had gone to jail for robbing a gas station with a garlic press... he was a nice guy when he was sober.

FWIW I wouldnt trust him with anything let alone a gun, especially since last I heard he was back on crack and back in jail.

Awesome. I retract my post:D

• Members

Yeah, Rwanda should have been free to encourage it's citizens to genocide
:thu:
the UN definitely should have intervened LESS.

Indonesia NEVER should have given up East Timor, especially not because the UN was actively working against Indonesian sovereignty.

I mean, say what you will about this specific example, but the UN has some flaws but certainly it has stood for some peace and fairness in the world, even at the cost of the 'liberty' of some countries and rulers.

Jugghaid knows that I am a huge fan of the UN's role in mediating conflicts between nations and keeping world peace. We've discussed that one tooth and nail. However, I can't help but feel that global civilian disarmament is the dumbest thing I ever heard of in light of the 170 million people who got murdered by their own governments last century. Global government disarmament would be a worthy goal though. :)

The UN is indispensible as an international table. However, I think America should be careful about supporting goals which may be contrary to the nation's stated internal beliefs. I can understand Obama signing onto the deal in order to prevent shipment of illicit arms to oppressive regimes, and I like that part of it. But I think civilian disarmament campaigns are fraught with danger as the balance of power shifts. The UN simply can't accept the responsibility of protecting the people they disarm.

In Uganda, meanwhile, the government has been periodically killing civilians, bombing homes, and destroying crops as it seeks to disarm the Karamojong, displacing some 80,000 people. Kopel and his co-authors describe the campaign there as

• Members

Nice {censored} stirring but this nonsense is really getting obnoxious.

I've been here since before the great crash of 2003. I remember when Juggs tracked that Zon thief down. Occasionally I'll come in and post something I saw in the news or on the net, sometimes along with my opinion of it, sometimes with questions. Occasionally I'll ask what pick guard you like best on the bass I'm building. Sometimes others comment and change my opinion. You guys are a rational sounding board as much as a bunch of musicians.

Right now, I'm not playing much bass, but I'm watching legislation on free speech and firearms ownership get debated in my country. What better group of people to ask opinions about the topics than a bunch of peaceful Americans who play music? If someone comes out and says, "you're full of poo, and here's why", I'm just as happy as when people agree.

• Moderators

I've been here since 2003. Occasionally I'll come in and post something I saw in the news or on the net, sometimes along with my opinion of it, sometimes with questions. Occasionally I'll ask what pick guard you like best on the bass I'm building. Sometimes others comment and change my opinion. You guys are a rational sounding board as much as a bunch of musicians.

Right now, I'm not playing much bass, but I'm watching legislation on free speech and firearms ownership get debated in my country. What better group of people to ask opinions about the topics than a bunch of peaceful Americans who play music? If someone comes out and says, "you're full of poo, and here's why", I'm just as happy as when people agree.

I wasn't talking directly to you, but the {censored} stirring over the "OMG this treaty/statute/local ordinance will infringe our Constitutional rights" is obnoxious, tired and juvenile.

Archived