UN small arms control treaty: is this true?

philthygeezer

• Moderators

*Hell even if it was against international law I doubt if the US would care... but that's another can of worms that isn't for this thread, and probably not this forum.

It's already been addressed in this thread. "No treaty, no law, no local ordinance can impact Constitutional rights. Period. End of story."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's it like, living in paranoid fantasy land? Is it sort of like a cross between the
Daily Mail
and
The Neverending Story
?

I don't know. Can you tell me?

IANSA is described as an umbrella network to which almost all national and regional
groups belong
and is estimated to represent over 800 gun control organizations in 120 countries
. IANSA opposes the use of
for
. It advocates prohibiting the private possession of many kinds of small arms, including
and

IANSA membership in Brazil includes the groups Instituto Sou da Paz and Viva Rio
which campaigned for a complete ban on civilian gun sales in Brazil
. The ban was subject to a
. A week before the vote, IANSA coordinated an international day of support for the Brazilian ban, with demonstrations taking place in Britain, Italy, South Africa, and other countries.

The IANSA network includes Canadian gun control organizations such as the Coalition for Gun Control

IANSA membership in the United States includes gun control organizations such as the
, Legal Community Against Violence and the

IANSA

• Members

Getting a firearm (legally) in some states in the US is already more restrictive than it ought to be. The
last
thing we need is more regulation, licensing, and registration.

It's main intent is not for internal US laws. That's the country's own business. It's intended to prevent even more firearms ending up in places like Somalia, Uganda and Afghanistan.

Calm down.

• Members

As much as I dislike the right for the average US bozo to own and brandish deadly items, it is indeed a right for you and a cultural specificity that shouldn't be abandoned unless citizens say so.

I like how most of them see guns as some sort of extension of manhood, as some sort of symbol of being macho and like to see themselves as 'badass' or whatever, until even the tiniest threat arises to their rights and then they become crybabies.

• Members

No, I really can't, because I still can't see how regulating the international arms trade will lead to a repeat of the Holocaust - perhaps it has something to do with the Illuminati and the Bilderbergs?
:confused:

Fair comment if that's what you thought I was asserting. The JPFO doesn't assert this either, but rather that civilian disarmament is one key factor in creating conditions for genocide.

I thought you were questioning whether NGOs (IANSA) intimately associated with the UN international action on the illicit trade of small arms were also heavily involved in civilian disarmament campaigns in sovereign nations.

• Members

I like how most of them see guns as some sort of extension of manhood, as some sort of symbol of being macho and like to see themselves as 'badass' or whatever...

No firearms owner I shoot with acts in this fashion or feels this way. However, I have seen some of this attitude from people that don't own guns, but use them at work.

• Members

No firearms owner I shoot with acts in this fashion or feels this way. However, I have seen some of this attitude from people that don't own guns, but use them at work.

Just for the record, I've spent a fair bit of time around guns during my military service. For me, seeing them as a source of entertainment or collecting them is just weird - I'll always see them as instruments of war which are treated with utmost caution and certainly weren't for playing around with.

• Members

While still treating them with utmost caution and not 'playing around' with them, tens of thousands of firearms owners go to ranges every year with an excellent safety record. Others use them for recreational hunting to put food on the table.

Maybe if you tried skeet or metallic silhouette, or steel challenge, or built a 10/22 and tried to accurize it, you might have a bit of fun? I dunno - I haven't ever been trained to think of a firearm as solely a weapon. I've never bought one for that purpose, except if you count bears, ducks or grouse.

• Members

I like how most of them see guns as some sort of extension of manhood, as some sort of symbol of being macho and like to see themselves as 'badass' or whatever, until even the tiniest threat arises to their rights and then they become crybabies.

I've never experienced anything of this sort, although I hear it tossed around as a stereotype of gun owners by anti-gun folks. A lot of gun owners (myself included) are a bit overly sensitive to impending legislation though, probably because gun rights are constantly under assault in one locale or another. Imagine if music gear prices fluctuated wildly, sometimes doubling or tripling within a matter of a few years. It would be pretty annoying.

I'm actually pretty new to guns, and just got my first one a year ago at the age of 28 (if you don't count the pellet gun I had as a kid). It's a great hobby once you get the basics down. Almost every gun owner I've met has been a very respectable and responsible person, none of whom act like their guns are steel phalluses.

At the same time, I don't blame anyone for not liking guns. I can't stand people who hot rod their cars (I especially hate those little Honda Civics with those glasspak mufflers) and drive them around, but I respect their right to do what they want as a hobby. Guns are dangerous and can be frightening to people who aren't used to them. It's okay to dislike them, but it's not okay to interfere with those that do.

• Members

While still treating them with utmost caution and not 'playing around' with them, tens of thousands of firearms owners go to ranges every year with an excellent safety record. Others use them for recreational hunting to put food on the table.

Maybe if you tried skeet or metallic silhouette, or steel challenge, or built a 10/22 and tried to accurize it, you might have a bit of fun? I dunno - I haven't ever been trained to think of a firearm as solely a weapon. I've never bought one for that purpose, except if you count bears, ducks or grouse.

There was an article in the paper here in Australia a couple of days after the fort hood thing, mentioned that there are 276 gun related deaths/injuries etc every single day in America, I found that exceptionally high..

276 a day.. {censored} me.. that seems a lot, is it right?

Take the article for whats its worth (I don't know anything about the writer and Australian press does tend to have an lefty slant to it)

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/americas-gun-outrage-276-people-killed-or-wounded-a-day-20091109-i4gj.html

• Members

There was an article in the paper here in Australia a couple of days after the fort hood thing, mentioned that there are 276 gun related deaths/injuries etc every single day in America, I found that exceptionally high..

276 a day.. {censored} me.. that seems a lot, is it right?

If that's the count of deaths and injuries, then that's probably right.

There are usually about 20,000ish gun deaths per year in the US, the vast majority having to do with urban male youths (i.e., gangs).

The majority of gunshots are not fatal, so having a total number for deaths and injuries that's five times the number of deaths doesn't seem unreasonable.

Archived