I'm going to buy that Acoustic 2x15 cab!

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Thanks - I was just curious... I could probably pair up my 215 and 410, but don't really see the need - either one will cover my needs as a stand alone...

- georgestrings

I've played a few gigs where I powered both with my Model T (that's a 150 wrms tube head, in case anyone doesn't know) and was pushing it well into distortion just to keep up. To be fair, it was outside.

• Members

I owned one of these cabs, and I never blew the 6's, and I pushed that thing to the limits. The problem I had with that cab is the lack of low-end.

I've seen several posts over the years about replacement sixes for those cabs, and seen three separate ones with blown sixes at pawn shops and guitar center.

For the weight, the Diesel 2x15 is a far better cabinet. Far better.

IIRC, the method of limiting wattage to the 6s is to wire them both in series =P Don't think there's even a high pass to them, but I can't find a manual to confirm.

• Members

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_neo_series.html

GK makes a pretty cool looking 4 X 12
:idk:

My two 2 X 12's are ready today. I'll poast pics on Monday along with a brief opinion piece on the toans.
:cool:

:wave:

Only the Neo series? I've seen a lot of other GK cabs, but they all look cheap.

Genz Benz has decent cabs too, right?

I can't wait to see your cabs!:love:

Well, the entire stack!

• Members

Go out and try some cabs and pick one you like within your price range.

That's the biggest problem.

two out of three local shops have bass gear.

One has a used GK goldline stack....but only has beginner combos otherwise.

The other has the Acoustic, an SWR 8x10, two peavey 1x15s, and a bunch of ampeg combos.

Not much variety.

The closest GC is 2 hours away.

• Moderators

What words would you guys use to describe a "hifi" bass cab?

"Hifi" is, or at least ought to be, clearly defined as "what goes in, comes out". In other words, a flat response, with no noticeable peaks or dips. "Hifi" is short for high fidelity, which means exactly that in the world of audio.

• Members

"Hifi" is, or at least ought to be, clearly defined as "what goes in, comes out". In other words, a flat response, with no noticeable peaks or dips. "Hifi" is short for high fidelity, which means exactly that in the world of audio.

That doesn't sound so bad.

For some reason, hi-fi meant "not for me"....until that description.:thu:

• Members

I've played a few gigs where I powered both with my Model T (that's a 150 wrms tube head, in case anyone doesn't know) and was pushing it well into distortion just to keep up. To be fair, it was outside.

I played a couple of fairly large outdoor gigs this past summer, and covered it just fine with the 700rb-II + PH 610 setup just fine... Of course, they all had huge PAs - so it's not like my rig had to do anything more than provide stage volume for my bandmates and me...

- georgestrings

• Members

The only Carvin speakers I'd consider buying are LS1503s to replace with eminence 3015's :) Or the 2x10 ultralight Br510n combo maybe.

Their bass cabs use under-xmax'd speakers in general. They're comparable to like, Avatar-ish, but I wouldn't pay for Avatars either when LDS is available if you're patient.

Their amps are fantastic - the Bx500/1200/etc, simply amazing.

Regarding Hi Fi - I agree with Isaac about what hi fi SHOULD mean. There are zero bass cabinets on the open market except Lo Phat and Barefaced that are anywhere close to hi fi, however.

What hi fi means in bass cabs to most people is scooped mids with a shiny top - Epifani's UL410 is one of the cabs I hear named as 'hifi' constantly but it's got a big bottom and a tweeter at least an octave from the top end of the 10's to my ears.

• Moderators

I played a couple of fairly large outdoor gigs this past summer, and covered it just fine with the 700rb-II + PH 610 setup just fine... Of course, they all had huge PAs - so it's not like my rig had to do anything more than provide stage volume for my bandmates and me...

- georgestrings

All I was trying to do was provide stage volume. I left house to the sound man.

• Members
The flip side is that there are a lot of highly colored cabinets and amps out there that are referred to as "hifi".

This. Keep in mind that pretty much any bass cab that is called hifi almost certainly is not :p

I forgot, other actual hi-fi cabs:

Acme's B1/2/4 series
Euphonic Audio's 108/208 cabs are close

• Members

under xmax'd?

I understand it's the travel of the speaker in mms (looked it up).

So they're just cheaper speaker, eh?

The enclosures are okay?

The enclosures are pretty well built with a fairly solid amount of port area in most cases. Their duratex type coating is neat, but not sure the bass cabs still have it. Maybe the BRX stuff.

The speakers are very cheap, yes. They're comparable to what most midrange companies are using - Ampeg, GK, Peavey etc, though, so keep that in mind.

The BRX 4x10 is actually a very decent cab; on par with the Avatar or GK 4x10s. But don't buy anything from Carvin with a 15 in it expecting real bass though.

One good thing about the Carvin boxes though: All of the 15" cabs (BRX15/BR15/LS1503) are very suitable for replacement with a Kappalite 3015 (and some with a 3015LF).

Archived