so......will the Bass forum be forced to be On Topic in 2.0?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if I have 100 instruments and 9-10 for sale I am a dealer?

There is a music store about a mile from here. Sells music gear of most kinds, but guitar seems to be their niche. They have some brands that the big store further down the road doesn't have, that's how they get by.

They have basses too. There is presently 6 on their wall. You have more instruments for sale than a store that many people I know frequent.

Like it or not, admit to it or not, I tihnk the general perception of a person who does this much volume in gear is that of a dealer, or a broker at the least.

Have you ever bought an instrument for no reason other than to flip it? I have once or twice. Doing that from time to time can be viewed as a hobby, or maybe just a lucky break, depending on the circumstances.

But at 22 years old and you have enough spare gear lying around that you always have 9-10 basses for sale? It's moved beyond a small hobby and into the realm of small business.

• Members
There is a music store about a mile from here. Sells music gear of most kinds, but guitar seems to be their niche. They have some brands that the big store further down the road doesn't have, that's how they get by.

They have basses too. There is presently 6 on their wall. You have more instruments for sale than a store that many people I know frequent.

Like it or not, admit to it or not, I tihnk the general perception of a person who does this much volume in gear is that of a dealer, or a broker at the least.

Have you ever bought an instrument for no reason other than to flip it? I have once or twice. Doing that from time to time can be viewed as a hobby, or maybe just a lucky break, depending on the circumstances.

But at 22 years old and you have enough spare gear lying around that you always have 9-10 basses for sale? It's moved beyond a small hobby and into the realm of small business.

could be viewed as that, I see that. And yes, I have flipped a bass or two. But, mostly, I am a kid who has been playing music and saving money for nothing but basses since I was around nine years old. I love all my basses, but I feel like I should always pick some to sell, so I can buy more. I wish I could own a shop, because I could sit and play different basses and get fat all day! mostly? many people buy drugs, booze, tvs, cars, etc. some people even collect pez! I just love my basses, and I use them to make a living. so I buy them whenever the price is right. :) mostly, because if I don't use it, I can pass them to a family member or to my little brother, who is just starting to play! (although we are creating a frankenstein, a fifteen year old should not ask for a Sadowsky for Christmas) ;)

• Members
although we are creating a frankenstein, a fifteen year old should not ask for a Sadowsky for Christmas

Can you tell that to my gf please. :lol:

She's a hobby player at best, strums a few chords from time to time and wants a new guitar as hers is an utter POS. I'm down with that. She'll play more often with a better guitar. I'm way down with that, don't blame her a bit either, I know how frustrating a crappy guitar can be.

She refuses to own anything less than a $3700 STRAT. :facepalm:

Monsters... we've created them.

Wiki:

A broker is a party that mediates between a buyer and a seller. A broker who also acts as a seller or as a buyer becomes a principal party to the deal.

In guitar terms, typically a broker is a finder, people ask them to get a certain guitar from a certain year and colour, and they call their contacts and bring one in. Usually it plays out by buying the instrument in question and flipping it for profit to the person that wants it. Some deals can go 3-4 ways with money and gear moving all around, not unlike a sports team moving players.

I've done it before (and paid taxes on my earnings I might add), and a coworker does it frequently. He's my main go-to guy now as he's got some crazy clients and access to pretty much anything.

He's just not right. He's been doing it about 8 years (is 30 now) and has a concrete bank vault in his basement where he stores everything pre-1960. :eek:

• Moderators
Also, the forum is particularly silly lately, because of the announcement that
all recent threads are going to be lost in the switch
. Many of us read that announcement to mean what we are saying right now isn't that big of a deal since it will disappear anyways. I don't find the forum to be too off topic currently, but if 2.0 ends up actually being usable, I expect it to be a bit more on topic than we currently are.

Admin is working on keeping everything now. :facepalm:

• Members
Can you tell that to my gf please.
:lol:

She's a hobby player at best, strums a few chords from time to time and wants a new guitar as hers is an utter POS. I'm down with that. She'll play more often with a better guitar. I'm way down with that, don't blame her a bit either, I know how frustrating a crappy guitar can be.

She refuses to own anything less than a $3700 STRAT.
:facepalm:

Wiki:

In guitar terms, typically a broker is a finder, people ask them to get a certain guitar from a certain year and colour, and they call their contacts and bring one in. Usually it plays out by buying the instrument in question and flipping it for profit to the person that wants it. Some deals can go 3-4 ways with money and gear moving all around, not unlike a sports team moving players.

I've done it before (and paid taxes on my earnings I might add), and a coworker does it frequently. He's my main go-to guy now as he's got some crazy clients and access to pretty much anything.

He's just not right. He's been doing it about 8 years (is 30 now) and has a concrete bank vault in his basement where he stores everything pre-1960.
:eek:

HAHA! that reminds me of this mid twenties couple that I saw in guitar center the other day. He was showing her an open C chord and she was trying to buy a les paul studio because her Fender custom shop strat was ugly... maybe it was you and your girlfriend! ;)

maybe I will look into being a broker. do you need a license? I just don't want to be a business. I buy these basses for me and my family, I sell the ones that no one wants. Or that my girlfriend catches me bringing into the house. ;)

• Members
maybe I will look into being a broker. do you need a license? I just don't want to be a business. I buy these basses for me and my family, I sell the ones that no one wants. Or that my girlfriend catches me bringing into the house.
;)

There is no such thing as being a licensed broker (that I know of), so beyond a business license I don't know what exists. I'm not in your country, so not sure how things work with taxation, capital gains (for example my coworker doesn't broker anything less than $15k, not worth his time) and all that. But with the new internet laws going in with regards to the govt tracking online sellers to tax them and the like I'd guess that the more direct you keep things on a one to one basis with clients is more likely going to keep you off the radar.

Guitar brokering is all about who you know that has lots of cash to buy highly collectable items, and who you know that might have a 19xx xxx xxx that they'll send your way, often in trust as you haven't been paid yet either.

But like any business, you need to start small and work your way up. Sounds like you are already dabbling in brokering, just didn't have a word for it.

• Members

I guess... I just buy a lot of basses. some I sell, but most of them I or someone in my family keeps. I just save like a madman, so when I see something I want, I can buy it. I hate to let a great deal go. AND I AM A GEAR JUNKIE. ;)

Seriously, like shaking and all that. I don't really want to make a career of it, but I do like to buy, sell or trade, my hobby I guess. Thanks for the insight, I might have to look into it. Anything that allows me to play tons of basses sounds likt a great idea to me!

where do you live bro?

• Members
Can you tell that to my
fiancee
please.
:lol:

She refuses to own anything less than a $3700 STRAT.

And well I can play more then a few chords thanks :p

I just refuse to play more often because that LP is a PoS as you said. Also I want a 3G strat, how much will your URB be? :poke:

Ya...I thought so.

:D

• Members
Admin is working on keeping everything now.

While they should have done this all along, I definitely understand the :facepalm: The moment they put it out there that new posts would be lost, a ton of people changed their posting style (generally for the worse).

• Members
And well I can play more then a few chords thanks
:p

I just refuse to play more often because that LP is a PoS as you said. Also I want a 3G strat, how much will your URB be? :poke:

Ya...I thought so.

:D

HAHAHA! I choked on my water!

with that statement, I am going surfing.
this just made my day! :)

• Members
Around half the price of any the Strats you liked. :poke:

I have gig offers already if I ever get one. Paid gigs, so it would literally pay for itself over time. :poke:

:blah:

I am sure if I could somehow mange to figure out how to play and sing at the same time, mine would pay for itself too. :D

• Members

Without you telling her, would your fiance have any idea that Harmony Central is associated with Musicians Friend? I'm guessing that most people seeing this site at their first glance would have no idea there is any connection at all. Personally, I wouldn't even realize the connection if this argument hadn't been made before.

In general, I think what happens here has absolutely no effect on most people's opinions on Musicians Friend, because the
vast majority of people don't see them as being the same thing.

Exactly.

I wonder how long MF will sit back and allow that to be the case?

Don't get me wrong: I like this place the way it is too, and the reasons given for keeping it that way make sense from that standpoint.

But again, I've got to wonder how much longer MF is going to sit back and not fully capitalize on their online asset?

In fact: take a look at the top of the site.

HMMM - full page Musician Friend banner ads.

This party will end as soon as MF decides to implement the rebranding, mark my words.

• Moderators
While they should have done this all along, I definitely understand the
The moment they put it out there that new posts would be lost, a ton of people changed their posting style (generally for the worse).

I helped Thrustin out in one thread after he was banned. I'm OK with that. It was an excellent thread.

Archived