What the hell is it about Mustang Sally?

Westsailor

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i must be the only one here to like Mustang sally. And i like playing it. We played it with my ex band and this was always a great moment. We took it quicklier than the original. :idk:

I will not play it anymore with the new band, which is more rock when the ex was funk soul.

• Members

I hear many people say they hate this song but hey, you're paid to play and to get people up and dancing! If the song works, don't complain. Just find a way to make the song enjoyable. Remember, you're not playing for yourself! You're paid to entertain! If you're not having fun doing it, you're in the wrong business!

• Members

I consider Mustang Sally as a haven for the musically illiterate...something that serves as an anchor of familiarity in world they don't care to explore or understand. Kind of like vanilla ice cream or a Big Mac.

I'm enough of a whore to have played it few times when it obviously was the only thing that would make a basically unhappy drunk happy for a few minutes. Christ, it's just a blues tune...if you play any of them there's no reason to go feeling all superior about not playing that one.

I've never played Brown Eyed Girl though...you've got to draw the line somewhere.

• Members

I hear many people say they hate this song but hey, you're paid to play and to get people up and dancing! If the song works, don't complain. Just find a way to make the song enjoyable. Remember, you're not playing for yourself! You're paid to entertain! If you're not having fun doing it, you're in the wrong business!

Oh I play it exactly for the reason that I'm getting paid to entertain/get people dancing. And 99% of the time I'm having fun regardless what I'm playing.

I'd just rather prefer NOT to have to play it mainly because it's (I've) just played it to death over the years and ergo, why I 'abhor' the song. I believe I have other offerings that are more contemporary and just as danceable. But they want it so they get it.

I'm just saying it's a curious thing... When I start playing Mustang Sally it's mostly groups of women that come outta the woodwork and start dancing alone and/or with each other.

• Members

I'm just saying it's a curious thing... When I start playing Mustang Sally it's mostly
groups
of women that come outta the woodwork and start dancing alone and/or with each other.

It's because they are basically staid, lonely white women who have consumed enough alcohol to overpower their inherent timidity to shake they booty & fantasize about being that wild Sally who only wants to "ride around" and doesn't care who she does it with. :lol:

I've seen it enough to know. :facepalm:

• Members

I consider Mustang Sally as a haven for the musically illiterate....

*Quits practicing Mustang Sally* I was trying to learn that song!!! :mad:

We do quite a few Van Morrison songs - Moondance, Tupelo Honey, Into the Mystic, Wild Night (yes, THAT one), Have I Told You Lately (yes, THAT one - many bands have had successful Van Morrison covers), and another cougar favorite - Domino. When you launch into a few Van Morrison songs, it is inevitable that someone will request Brown Eyed Girl.

I tend to draw the line very close to my wallet. Patrons are paying to hear music, and they request a specific song that we know. No-brainer, to me.

• Members
I tend to draw the line very close to my wallet. Patrons are paying to hear music, and they request a specific song that we know. No-brainer, to me.

You filthy musical whore! You will never catch my post-grunge, old-wave Polka-metal band selling out like that! Our fan totally agrees! :mad:

• Members
I'm enough of a whore to have played it few times when it obviously was the only thing that would make a basically unhappy drunk happy for a few minutes. Christ, it's just a blues tune...if you play any of them there's no reason to go feeling all superior about not playing that one.

:thu:

We've got Mustang Sally in our set because it's kind of a sure thing and we kept getting requests for it.

But yeah, ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

• Members

There's plenty of stuff that will fill the dance floor. I don't feel the need to play something I hate just because it makes people happy. Something else will also make people happy.

If you like those tunes and they don't eat away at your soul to play them, have at it.

For me, if I'm just there in that bar to serve, I'd rather waitress. It's not a 'f-you' kind of thing for me or a high and mighty thing. I'd just rather not do something I completely hate and I hate hate hate Sweet Home Alabama.

• Members
There's plenty of stuff that will fill the dance floor. I don't feel the need to play something I hate just because it makes people happy. Something else will also make people happy.

If you like those tunes and they don't eat away at your soul to play them, have at it.

For me, if I'm just there in that bar to serve, I'd rather waitress. It's not a 'f-you' kind of thing for me or a high and mighty thing. I'd just rather not do something I completely hate and I hate hate hate Sweet Home Alabama.

:thu:

• Moderators
i must be the only one here to like Mustang sally. And i like playing it. We played it with my ex band and this was always a great moment. We took it quicklier than the original.
:idk:

I will not play it anymore with the new band, which is more rock when the ex was funk soul.

Nah, you're not the only one. I played it a couple of bands ago, and always got a kick out of it. Didn't hurt that it always filled the dance floor.

Archived