Photo Radar

ec437

• Members

the guy who operates the camera at the intersection by my work came in one day, i asked him jokingly, "if they can't see your face, can you get out of the ticket?"

He said, "they have to prove it was you driving. Cars can't get tickets. they mostly get thrown out if the person's visor is down and you can't make out their face."

I asked another cop to verify, and he was like, "yeah, not something we like to talk about. The law is poorly written with holes like swiss cheese."

At least in Oregon, that's what they said. Basically if you want to run a red light, sit up tall and flip down your visor. (or wear a Nixon mask.)

In IL, the registered owner gets the ticket no matter what.

"In states like California and Oregon, a vehicle

• Members
Well,
you
people think Fosters is Austalian for beer, so your whole legal system is suspect.
:rolleyes:

:) I don't know a SINGLE Australian who drinks fosters! Hell I reckon they stopped brewing the {censored} in 1973, but had tanker loads of it left so they jus can it up and fob of on you and the Brits!

Should see the speed camera laws here too, if you are 2 kmh over (that's 1.24mph) you get booked, yes it's less than half a needle width.. It gets worse, they dropped all suburban speeds from 60 to 50kmh, but don't sign post it, so.. I'm going from a 60 zone, I come into the city centre and get pinged for doing 58 in a 50 zone.. But where's the speed change sign? Oh, all built up areas should be assumed to be 50..

(that's actually what happened to me, not a hypothetical).

Our government is currently talking about trialing gps systems which could be used to either limit you speed or more likely automatically fine you..

• Members
Btw: If you just ignore it, they still have to take you to court. If you never get served, you are not obligated in any way to pay it. At least in Phoenix, anyway
:)
They have to serve you with an actual summons. But, they tack the process server's fee onto your ticket, if they catch you.

I've sent back a couple where someone other than me was driving with my driver's license and wrote "DECLINE TO IDENTIFY" in the box for the person's name, and never heard anything further about it.

If it was my wife, can I claim spousal privilege?
:p

This is not the case here.

• Members

I always laugh at all the people complaining about getting a ticket for speeding or whatever - you were still speeding, you broke the law and thats that. The system isn't unfair if you follow the law.

Sure they charge you and make money for the government, but how else are they going to punish you? Removing an amount of pennies from your possession is one of the simplest ways to make you stop and think when you have ignored all the safety adverts so far...

Red light cameras and so on? same thing really. I get pissed off continually with people sneaking through when the lights change when they should have stopped, which is a royal PITA at some junctions and causes problems. We have a yellow light to give you some chance to stop before it goes red, yellow isn't a signal to 'speed up so you can nip through as it changes' but a warning that you have to stop if you safely can.

• Members
I always laugh at all the people complaining about getting a ticket for speeding or whatever - you were still speeding, you broke the law and thats that. The system isn't unfair if you follow the law.

Sure they charge you and make money for the government, but how else are they going to punish you? Removing an amount of pennies from your possession is one of the simplest ways to make you stop and think when you have ignored all the safety adverts so far...

Red light cameras and so on? same thing really. I get pissed off continually with people sneaking through when the lights change when they should have stopped, which is a royal PITA at some junctions and causes problems. We have a yellow light to give you some chance to stop before it goes red, yellow isn't a signal to 'speed up so you can nip through as it changes' but a warning that you have to stop if you safely can.

Thank you. :)

Some of us are pedestrians and don't appreciate having to wait even longer at a walk signal for all the jack asses who think its their right to run reds.

• Members

On a different front though, my hometown just installed them at an intersection really close to my house. I have noticed a marked increase of traffic accidents in that intersection by people slamming on their brakes to not get a picture taken, then getting rear ended by the two or three other cars trying to make the light. I am not advocating either side of this argument, but I don't think the cameras are the way to slow people down IMHO. :idk:

• Members
On a different front though, my hometown just installed them at an intersection really close to my house. I have noticed a marked increase of traffic accidents in that intersection by people slamming on their brakes to not get a picture taken, then getting rear ended by the two or three other cars trying to make the light. I am not advocating either side of this argument, but I don't think the cameras are the way to slow people down IMHO.
:idk:

I think those accidents would decrease as people get to know they are there and get used to the fact that running red lights actually is a bad idea.

• Members

All over the Chicago area.

There have been numerous articles and TV spots about how they are not doing anything much for intersection safety, yet are generating bucoo bucks for the gov't, and especially, the vendor.

So, it's a money-making scheme only?

Truth.

I helped implement cameras in a town near me. It is all about revenue generation, and the vendor gets PAID.

• Members
On a different front though, my hometown just installed them at an intersection really close to my house. I have noticed a marked increase of traffic accidents in that intersection by people slamming on their brakes to not get a picture taken, then getting rear ended by the two or three other cars trying to make the light. I am not advocating either side of this argument, but I don't think the cameras are the way to slow people down IMHO.
:idk:

I can see that being an intermediary stage - some drivers know/remember they are there so want to stop, some have forgotten or are willing to push the limits and so won't be ready for braking, over time I will expect that the guys behind will start anticipating what the guys on front will do and will react appropriately.

• Members

I can see that being an intermediary stage - some drivers know/remember they are there so want to stop, some have forgotten or are willing to push the limits and so won't be ready for braking, over time I will expect that the guys behind will start anticipating what the guys on front will do and will react appropriately.

They have been in place over a year, and it is still crash daily around that intersection. Please don't forget, I live in a town where the general attitude is "god will save me" and they don't give a {censored} about their environment around them. The one thing I have seen help is, they have started putting these yellow flashing lights about 500 yards in front of the intersection, that go off, about three or four seconds before the light turns yellow. They have not put these on my intersection though.

• Members

:lol:

You don't even know the situation here. I thought I was driving in a 35, in which case my speed would have been totally acceptable. It was actually a 30 and when I saw the ticket I was dumbfounded.

And must they really fine me a month's pay? Really? Really???

• Members

I think those accidents would decrease as people get to know they are there and get used to the fact that running red lights actually is a bad idea.

The studies I've seen show no effect or an increase in accidents due to people slamming on brakes at the first sign of a yellow light once they know the camara system is there. They've even caught some officials who've shortened the yellow light period to generate more tickets.

• Members

That is a naive opinion.

• Members
Yep! Blow through a red light in NYC and you're {censored}ed. It's not like you can even argue it. They send the ticket, a picture of your license plate, and then pictures of your car obviously running the light from multiple angles.

Cover you face, my friend got out of one that way. :thu:

I however did get caught by one (before I knew of the covering of the face)

• Members

Just read an article a couple of months ago about how there is a citizens revolt brewing in many parts of the country over the use of cameras at stoplights.

Apparently, there are LOTS of documented cases where "the man" constantly fiddles with the timing of the light changes in order to catch drivers off guard to help generate additional revenue.

Let's just say while the cameras may be may be legal, they're less than fair and honest.

• Members

Just read an article a couple of months ago about how there is a citizens revolt brewing in many parts of the country over the use of cameras at stoplights.

Apparently, there are LOTS of documented cases where "the man" constantly fiddles with the timing of the light changes in order to catch drivers off guard to help generate additional revenue.

Let's just say while the cameras may be may be legal, they're less than fair and honest.

They have shortened the yellow light at some intersections to the point of where it may change to yellow a second before you enter the intersection and be red before you exit. I'm not one to accelerate when I see a yellow half a block down, but there is a point where you just can't stop in time, especially in rain or snow.

• Members

Yup, it's awesome that we're becoming a police state. I can't tell you how happy it makes me that the government has seen fit to install cameras to further patrol and extort money from its people. It makes me smile when I wake up and think of the great sense of security the government provides for me and all I've had to do is give up a few rights here and there. America... {censored} yeah!

Archived