Little Ashdown amp

matou

• Members

I would be wary about it turning into a giant bucket of mud if you push it hard.
Power isn't the only reason why EL84s and 6V6s aren't normally used for bass

:confused:

Care to elaborate? Seriously, I'm curious about this. I've wondered why certain tubes are/not used for bass and could only surmise that it has more to do with lower power output than anything else.

• Members

6V6s/EL84s sound very thick, thick enough that they will mud up if you push them too hard with a guitar, let alone bass. 6550s on the other hand sound thin and sterile for a guitar. Obviously there is much more to that, but I'm no expert :idk:

• Members

6V6s/EL84s sound very thick, thick enough that they will mud up if you push them too hard with a guitar, let alone bass. 6550s on the other hand sound thin and sterile for a guitar. Obviously there is much more to that, but I'm no expert
:idk:

Just based on my using EL84 based amps A LOT, they are actually a bit thinner on the bottom than 6V6s. I ran (for fun, not for a gig or anything) a Mesa Maverick into my bass cab once, was a very neat wooly bass sound. My Marshall 401 does about the same.

I'd love to A/B this Ashdown vs my B15 and see how they stack up.

• Moderators
6V6s/EL84s sound very thick, thick enough that they will mud up if you push them too hard with a guitar, let alone bass. 6550s on the other hand sound thin and sterile for a guitar. Obviously there is much more to that, but I'm no expert
:idk:

Is that why my vintage 6V6 Princeton is clear as a bell when I run it into a 210 bass cab? It seems to me you're associating preamp design with the output you are getting from the tubes, which isn't fair to the tubes.

• Members

Is that why my vintage 6V6 Princeton is clear as a bell when I run it into a 210 bass cab? It seems to me you're associating preamp design with the output you are getting from the tubes, which isn't fair to the tubes.

You obviously got a point on the fact that preamp design always plays a large part, but I wasn't talking about clean tones.

• Members

It's a tube bassists answer to a Tiny Terror. Low wattage at-home type of amp, but with tubey goodness.

It's odd for sure, but it might just find a niche for itself, who knows?

It seems like they know exactly what they're doing. It's a small niche but good one, guitarists who play bass and want a small tube bass amp for recording with at home. ;)

Archived