Silly things you used to think w/ regards to bass...

zachoff

• Members

Most of mine still apply, haha. :lol:

Fender and Ampeg are poopy and still average.

I agree on the Peavey thing- I think it's hard for people to get over that stigma b/c they're a lot of the times a "first" bass and/or amp. So paying 4 figures for a custom Cirrus seems a little "Really?".

• Members

I used to think Gibson made batter basses than Fender

I thought a Musicman Stingray and a Fender P Bass sounded the same

I thought Rics looked weird

I thought it was some kind of conspiracy that blues bands never let the bass player solo

I thought it was easy to play a fretless, and that you couldn't slap on one!

I thought Warwick made the best bass ever!

I thought "Well, I play bass guitar, so mastering the upright bass will be a piece of cake!

• Members

Upright is really hard and it'll take years and years to learn it well enough to play on stage.

Fender were too heavy and too big to play and would cause me back pain. wrong (it's all in the shoulder. lol.)

12" speakers were for guitar only.

• Members

Using fingers was THE ONLY way to play, and playing with a pick was a sign of inferiority

Ampegs were the {censored}

Ifelt like playing with a pick just made me a guitarist who struggles with 2 more strings, chords, and solos. And felt that's how you played bass "back in the day"(when it was an upright). Also, I wanted to be my own kind of player/bassist, not a "bass"guitarist.

I still wanna believe Ampeg is decent, but it's hard since they moved overseas.:cry: I do like the idea of the SVT8-PRO head, but second guessing it.

• Members

Ifelt like playing with a pick just made me a guitarist who struggles with 2 more strings, chords, and solos. And felt that's how you played bass "back in the day"(when it was an upright). Also, I wanted to be my own kind of player/bassist, not a "bass"guitarist.

You cant play upright with a pick. It looks, sounds and feels completely goofy and a pick wont last a full song against those strings.

"back in the day", how the heck old are you, 80? lol.

• Members

You
cant
play upright with a pick. It looks sounds and feels completely goofy and a pick wont last a full song against those strings.

"back in the day", how the heck old are you, 80? lol.

No, sorry.:p I meant that using your fingers was how they did it back then. And I'm actually only 32, but I felt, back then, that I wanted to keep playing the instrument in "traditional fashion. I was young and dumb back then. Plus I was pissed cause I felt somewhat pushed into playing bass, but come to find out that I am a better bassist, than a guitarist.

• Moderators

I used to think Jazz basses were better than P basses.

I used to think that a greater number of notes played was a decent indicator of a skilled bassist.

I used to think that playing with a pick was for guitarists.

I used to think that people that work at music stores were a worthwhile reference for learning about the equipment.

• Members

I used to think Jazz basses were
better
than P basses.

I used to think that a greater number of notes played was a decent indicator of a skilled bassist.

I used to think that playing with a pick was for guitarists.

I used to think that people that work at music stores were a worthwhile reference for learning about the equipment

My first time at a GC was a harrowing experience.

In the town where I went to college, we had a local store where we'd probably go 2-3 times a week for strings or small stuff and of course always check out their guitars if they got some cool stuff in on Consignment, which they usually did.

I just figured everyone was cool like that and they'd actually talk music and gear with you, most of the time.

• Members

My first time at a GC was a harrowing experience.

In the town where I went to college, we had a local store where we'd probably go 2-3 times a week for strings or small stuff and of course always check out their guitars if they got some cool stuff in on Consignment, which they usually did.

I just figured everyone was cool like that and they'd actually talk music and gear with you, most of the time.

The GC in Chattanooga is stocked with 19-20 year old goth wannabe's ....:lol: When I bought my Ibby, they had a {censored}ty set of strings on it, so the guy says "hang on a minute and I'll put a fresh set of strings on it". An hour later, I walked out of the store with the bass....:facepalm:

Archived