Silly things you used to think w/ regards to bass...

zachoff

• Members

That Ampeg was the amp I should aim for - I "settled" for a Trace :D

That learning bass was easy - learning the basics was easy - becoming a good bass player was hard.

That I could split my time between Sax, bass, guitar and piano and master all of them. I don't have enough time in the day to make a living and become a master of just one of those instruments :facepalm:

• Members

No, you're still pretty much dead on with that one.
:freak:

:lol:

Throw out a topic from quantum physics to birthin' babies to badass barbecue. I got a minute. This place should have Washington Thinktank Status. World Hunger would be solved by "O" Beer:30.:snax:

• Members

The pointy Peavey logo is terrible.

No mater how good the amp is (like VB2), that logo cheapens it.

Crate didn't suck (my first two amps were Crate).

The big Fender tuning keys looked dumb.

Pointy headstocks were awesome.

Peavey sucked because their logo is dumb.

:facepalm:

• Members

I used to think that people that work at music stores were a worthwhile reference for learning about the equipment.

oh man,

when i decided to learn bass a ispent a couple months (while i saved) researching, lurking on message boards, learning about the difference between Ps and Js and basic tech stuff. as much as you can without an actual bass in hand. then head into a local music shop and say i'm looking for a bass, the guy says "ok, what color do you want?" :facepalm:

• Members

All bass strings are flatwound.

One further- that there were more than one type or size/gauge of string! :eek:

I remember the first time I went in a store to buy new strings- the guy asked me what gauge and flats or rounds... I was like um, I don't know!? The regular kind? I ended up I think with a set of .100 Fender flats. I got home and the next few weeks were miserable until I could save up to buy a new set. :lol:

• Members

I used to think effects, except fuzz, were for guitar only.

I used to think playing a Ric was like holding an upright sideways (big and awkward). Still do.

I used to think Ibbys were junk. Still do and I hate their headstocks. Well, except for their hollow body bass.

I used to think strings lasted forever.

I used to think picking was always faster than fingers.

Never thought I would own a 5 string. For what? :idk::wave:

• Members

I used to think Ibbys were junk. Still do and I hate their headstocks. Well, except for their hollow body bass.

I'm not much for the SRx models but I've really grown to love my JTK & the ATKs and BTBs I've played have been real nice as well as the Artcore hollows.

• Members

I used to think that any guitarist could easily play bass as well or better than a full time bassist.

I used to think that phrasing and nuance did not matter on bass

I used to think that the choice to use fingers or pick rests completely with the preference of the player and is not based on any skill deficiencies or past experience on guitar. :poke:

I used to think I was a pretty good bassist: now I realize that I have so much more to learn.

• Members

I used to think that the choice to use fingers or pick rests completely with the preference of the player and is not based on any skill deficiencies or past experience on guitar. :poke:

Depends on the band, in my case. If I'm humping 1/8 notes at 150+ bpm I use a pick or if I'm singing... I can't sing and play w/ my fingers. If I'm just playing bass and the lines are somewhat technical I use my fingers. :idk:

• Members

I used to think that

-speakers of a particular size have a characteristic tone.

-number of notes played indicated skill (thanks kindness!)

-natural talent was a big indicator of how good you are

-you don't need an internal pulse if you have a good drummer

-you need to be loud!!!

• Members

used to think that i needed the same gear to sound like my heroes. (good technique/eq'ing proves otherwise imho)

used to think that any bass not made in the U.S. was mediocre or crap (now own multiple oversees basses that i love)

used to think i was a mediocre bassist for as long as i've been playing, until i jammed with a band who told me i played really well with the drums as a rythmn section.

• Members

You obviously still need to learn this one. :poke:

Archived