Is there a sticky/FAQ thread about what the heck happened to HCBF in recent months?

Ace Of Bass

• Members

I admire your enthusiasm, but HCBF was "did in" when that happened. All that's left lately is a group of people trying to get it up and running again. Except that all the excitement left and went to another forum.

I disagree. The vast majority of bickering, complaining, negativity, nit picking etc. left and went to other forums. What's left here is a fresh start without all that baggage. HCBF was a very dynamic place, the others are completely stagnant. This place will recover, there will be new names and new stories, and it can grow back. There was a noticible lack of proper modding here though, that allowed things like the troll to drive off a LOT of people. That issue needs to change though or it will be just more of the same.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree. The vast majority of bickering, complaining, negativity, nit picking etc. left and went to other forums. What's left here is a fresh start without all that baggage. HCBF was a very dynamic place, the others are completely stagnant. This place will recover, there will be new names and new stories, and it can grow back. There was a noticible lack of
proper
modding here though, that allowed things like the troll to drive off a LOT of people. That issue needs to change though or it will be just more of the same.

I took a break from bass (and incidentally this forum) when i finished up grad school and worked freelance. Whenever i visited (pre-change), there really seemed to be an increased level of negativity, and it really pushed me to lurking, then to ignoring HCBF in general. It seems much more chill now. Obviously, some "old" members are going to whine about the change from the "good ol' days," but I saw this when I joined a few years ago as well.

I like where it is at the moment. The yelling's gone down. That's nice.

• Members

HCBF has simply come to the end of one cycle after the "purge", and is starting another. The old cliques have moved on to other forums, the threads are currently much more on-topic, and there lots of newbs. Eventually folks will get chummy/hostile with each other again, the threads will again be mostly OT, something will happen to purge the forum, and it'll start all over again.

Some of the old-school veterans will weather the storm, and always be here.

• Members
There was a noticible lack of
proper
modding here though, that allowed things like the troll to drive off a LOT of people. That issue needs to change though or it will be just more of the same.

Yeah, geez, that was really lame of the people doing that. Luckily the decision was made for them to prevent it from happening again, since I doubt that it would've changed. :p

• Members

I disagree. The vast majority of bickering, complaining, negativity, nit picking etc. left and went to other forums. What's left here is a fresh start without all that baggage. HCBF was a very dynamic place, the others are completely stagnant. This place will recover, there will be new names and new stories, and it can grow back. There was a noticible lack of
proper

Agree 100%.

• Members
How about the "excitement" of trying to rebuild a community on quick-sand?

From what longer term members have said, it seems HC was on quicksand before and came back.

Hopefully it will come back again.... but hopefully not as we knew it Scotty ;) (i.e. before the change ).

• Members

Nothing brings me back. I noticed MC was super quiet so I checked into here and sure enough see a lot of members have come back. I'm curious to see where this goes, but I'm likely not going to be a regular poster here.

The community was going downhill before, but that isn't what I'm referring to. I'm talking about Jive, when there was literally like 3 people in the bass forum and everyone left. Why bother if that's just the inevitable outcome again a few months down the road? I'd rather put a helpful effort in elsewhere.

• Members

Nothing brings me back. I noticed MC was super quiet so I checked into here and sure enough see a lot of members have come back. I'm curious to see where this goes, but I'm likely not going to be a regular poster here.

The community was going downhill before, but that isn't what I'm referring to. I'm talking about Jive, when there was literally like 3 people in the bass forum and everyone left. Why bother if that's just the inevitable outcome again a few months down the road? I'd rather put a helpful effort in elsewhere.

I can see why you wouldn't. However, based on how the whole enterprise went to crap instantly upon changing format, and how quickly they changed back, I tend to think they won't do anything so drastic again if they plan to make any money from this site (which is why they run it). It seemed like a very clear lesson.

That's not to say it's impossible something might happen. But that's true of many, if not most sites run by smaller operators. The person running it could get hit by a bus, get into a bad divorce, or decide to go off and join the circus. Do you stop posting because maybe they don't have a succession plan and all your efforts could be wiped out instantly?

I totally understand the bitterness. But at the same time, posting here about how we're all wasting our time and that the forum is doomed doesn't really help anything. And it's not exactly endearing, either.

• Members
I totally understand the bitterness. But at the same time, posting here about how we're all wasting our time and that the forum is doomed doesn't really help anything. And it's not exactly endearing, either.

I hope I'm not coming off as such. I didn't come here to say, "you're all tards for posting here, HCBF sucks you stupid noobs!!". I didn't plan on posting at all, actually. There were several specific comments I wanted to address however. If I'm coming off as bitter and cranky then it wouldn't be the first time, I guess. :lol:

• Members
I hope I'm not coming off as such. I didn't come here to say, "you're all tards for posting here, HCBF sucks you stupid noobs!!". I didn't plan on posting at all, actually. There were several specific comments I wanted to address however. If I'm coming off as bitter and cranky then it wouldn't be the first time, I guess.
:lol:

T3CH, run back to your happy thread on the working forum before you get too bitter... Go to your happy place!!! :lol:
gilm083.jpg

• Members
I didn't plan on posting at all, actually.

See? YOU CANNOT RESIST!!! And neither can others!!! HCBF WILL RISE AGAIN! We're already at like...

...15 active members. :(

Ah well, these things take time.

(And seriously, no worries. We all get cranky. Except Yubby, I guess)

Archived