Bassists who play like guitarists ......

NeverTheMachine

• Members

What's your take on these individuals? Is there a place for it in rock based music?

Let me clarify: The people who are formerly electric guitarists who take up the bass because of more band opportunities (there are a lot of them) and don't seem to take to it exactly. They continue to think they're playing an electric guitar and don't realize what the purpose of the bass is. Not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but what do you think?

• Members

That's probably the guy playing a 6 or 8 string bass. Well at least the bass will end up drowning out everything for once. Seriously though, I feel that being a good bass player means having some restraint and knowing how not to drown out other players and still not sound boring. I'm sure guitar players have the technical skill, it's just a matter of being aware that certain guitar playing styles like tapping don't always work well on bass.

• Members

That's probably the guy playing a 6 or 8 string bass. Well at least the bass will end up drowning out everything for once. Seriously though, I feel that being a good bass player means having some restraint and knowing how not to drown out other players and still not sound boring. I'm sure guitar players have the technical skill, it's just a matter of being aware that certain guitar playing styles like tapping don't always work well on bass.

You're very right. There's nothing more annoying than tapping bass.

I'm an electric guitarist. I don't have much opportunity to play bass, but when I do mess around with it I find it extremely enjoyable in a totally different way than guitar, because of it's use as a tool. Also from a mixing and producing music standpoint few non-bassists realize how important it is to the overall sound dynamic of a studio recording.

• Members

The "guitarist" that DOES get bass though is the best kind of bassist IMO. They get that they anchor the rythmn section but they are usually very adept at putting together interesting passing/transition riffs when they're appropriate.

Also, in a trio situation they are usually more adept at making the background full when the guitar "drops out" to solo. Guitar skills come in handy then. It's not a coincidence that John Entwhistle was referred to as the "lead bassist". (I don't know whether he played guitar as well as bass or not, but he had the skill set I'm talking about in spades).

• Members

Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead. Chriss squire of Yes, Jonas Hellborg, and various others use a more guitar like approach to bass and they do bass playing better then most others. So yes its an excellent approach to bass playing imo.

Certain band's style are built around a more fluid or out-front bass style for sure, the problem is bassists who play that style on every song just to show how many notes they can play. I know several bass players who play that style and never quite fit back in a groove; as if the band is there to support them. Some of these guys are crowd pleasers with a flamboyant style, too. Listen to the other 99% of recorded music and you'll hear the bass and drums locked in like a rhythm section should be. Bass is part of the rhythm section and if people want to continually play lead they should choose another instrument IMO.

• Members

Reminds me of an article I once read in Bass Player magazine about Peter Hook from New Order. Part of the trademark sound they started had something to do with the fact that guitar player, Bernard Sumner, wasn't particularly great and he found myself having to play in higher registers to drown out some of the sloppiness. However, with Peter Hook playing more in the mid and upper end, some of the low end fullness was either sacrificed or replaced with synthesizers. I certainly like the way it sounds but from a technical sense I would think that Peter Hook wasn't really playing bass. He was using a bass to play a guitar part which makes me think why not just play the guitar to begin with?

• Members

Seems to me, a neophyte, that bass playing isn't a binary exercise, where you either play it to be part of the furniture, or play it like a lead instrument.

To me, it's another "voice" in the choir, with the lead as the Tenor/Soprano and the singer as the Soprano/Tenor, and the rhythm as contralto. Sometimes each voice can be emphasized, sometimes any of the voices can dominate the piece.

There's a brass band made up of nothing but tubas, from bass to soprano. Stanley Clarke is the quintessential bass-player as lead.

We were on a cruise about a year ago, and they had the requisite "Caribbean" band as one of the bands, with all the guys from the Islands. Most of these bands are usually OK, better than the ones from the Philippines, but this band was off-balance. The singer was very good, the keyboard and drummers were mediocre, but the bass player...WOW!! Everything they did that would have been dull was just great. He was just wonderful on a 6-string Yamaha. It was like an OK picture, but instead of a boring OK frame, it had an interesting and exciting frame that made the whole thing more interesting. I've only seen one other bass player on a ship who could play like that, and we've been on a lot of cruises.

• Moderators

People on this forum use terms like "playing bass like a guitarist" a lot, and I never understand what exactly they mean. Are they saying the player is doing full chords? Are they playing solos? What does this mean? Does it mean they're playing the bass in a manner which fits more like a guitar into the band context? Does it mean they sound like a guitarist who is trying to play bass with a good feel but failing? Honestly, it's confusing as hell.

• Moderators

Reminds me of an article I once read in Bass Player magazine about Peter Hook from New Order. Part of the trademark sound they started had something to do with the fact that guitar player, Bernard Sumner, wasn't particularly great and he found myself having to play in higher registers to drown out some of the sloppiness. However, with Peter Hook playing more in the mid and upper end, some of the low end fullness was either sacrificed or replaced with synthesizers. I certainly like the way it sounds but from a technical sense I would think that Peter Hook wasn't really playing bass. He was using a bass to play a guitar part which makes me think why not just play the guitar to begin with?

Actually, IIRC, it isn't that Sumner was especially sloopy, it's that the band was loud and Hook's earlier gear couldn't keep up. (this is the Joy Division era) He found he could cut through better by playing higher up, and the rest of the band liked the way it sounded, so it became his trademark thing.

Although Hook certainly played convention bass parts at times in New Order, I think you're right that at times his bass played a very guitar-like role. I would guess the answers to your question would be:

a)Because a bass played high up sounds pretty distinctive

b)He could switch to a conventional bass part without changing instruments

• Members

The main difference for me is in how the groove is approached.

When playing bass, you are CREATING time and how it feels with the drummer. You create and command the pocket for the rest of the band to deal with. When pushing and/or pulling to make the pocket sit right, the WHOLE SHEBANG moves.

When you play guitar, you play INSIDE the time the rhythm section lays down. If you push or pull, nothing should move. You just are creating tension/energy (push) or a a laid back feel (pull).

Everyone knows me as a guitarist but I do get calls to play bass. And I HATE playing guitar at bass gigs. It is about keeping that GROOVE mindset. Time, time, time.....

• Members

The main difference for me is in how the groove is approached.

When playing bass, you are CREATING time and how it feels with the drummer. You create and command the pocket for the rest of the band to deal with. When pushing and/or pulling to make the pocket sit right, the WHOLE SHEBANG moves.

When you play guitar, you play INSIDE the time the rhythm section lays down. If you push or pull, nothing should move. You just are creating tension/energy (push) or a a laid back feel (pull).

Everyone knows me as a guitarist but I do get calls to play bass. And I HATE playing guitar at bass gigs. It is about keeping that GROOVE mindset. Time, time, time.....

Thats pretty damned well put......:thu:

Archived