Tips for recording bass (direct vs amp)

Jealousblues

• Members

HI guys im a guitar player who is learning bass for fun.

Ill probably never get to play bass out in a band like I do guitar but I thought I would record with it for fun.

I have an ernie ball musicman bass

with active pickups and EQ on board

Most bars Ive played at didnt mic the bass amp, but instead ran direct from it so I wondered if it was even something I needed?

If you run direct like that are you getting any of the EQ from the amp or is the board getting the signal straight from the bass and the bass player is using his amp as a monitor basically?

so basically Im wondering if its worth it for me to buy a bass amp

1) Do I need a bass amp really?

2) when recording is it ok for me to just run straight out of my bass or do I need an amp or pedal

3) anything else I should consider?

• Moderators

I have recorded my bass directly into the board. I like it. It seems to me that, if one doesn't like it, one really doesn't like the sound of his bass.

If you plug the bass into the direct box (DI), then run from there both to the amp and the board, then no, none of the amp's eq will affect the signal going to the board. The bass player is using his amp essentially as a monitor.

1) You don't need a bass amp if the rest of the system is up to the task.

2) It is okay to run straight out of your bass, if you get the results you want.

3) Make sure you like the sound of your bass. Playing live, make sure the sound system can handle it. Not just mains, but monitors as well.

• Moderators

Now, if one wants more tonal control, instead of relying on the engineer, then a preamp is in order. Something like a Sansamp, maybe. Then run bass to preamp, preamp to DI. That way, the controls on the preamp will affect the feed to the board. The same can be done using the preamp out or line out on the amp, if it has one. Most do. Remember, though, that the sound coming out of the bass amp may not be the same as that coming out of the mains, or going into the board. The speaker cabinet will color the sound considerably. At least, I don't know of many that don't. The location of the speaker(s) affects the tone as well.

Koa, why not mic a 15" speaker cab?

• Members

I like my EBMMs ran direct.My bass amp is basically a stage monitor.You will need to experiment recording the bass direct.I find I like the results with the bass's pre-amp settings at treble just under dimed,mid just under dimed,and bass just above center.That allows for a "liveley" bass tone with plenty of snap,and if you want more bass on the tone it can be added at the console during mixdown.

• Members

I have an ernie ball musicman bass

with active pickups and EQ on board

Just an FYI as it's a common misconception, it's got passive pickups and an active EQ.

If you run direct like that are you getting any of the EQ from the amp or is the board getting the signal straight from the bass and the bass player is using his amp as a monitor basically?

If you're using the DI on your amp, they can usually be set to pre or post EQ, so it would depend how it's set. I always run mine pre EQ so the soundman can do whatever he needs to for the room.

Yes, the bass amp is just a monitor for the most part whenever you have FOH support.

1) Do I need a bass amp really?

2) when recording is it ok for me to just run straight out of my bass or do I need an amp or pedal

3) anything else I should consider?

1. No. If you're gigging without FOH support, then you'll need one. If you have no monitoring even when you do have support, you'll probably wish you had one.

2. What are you running straight into?

3. A standalone DI

• Members

im a guitar player in my band, id probably never play bass out.

Just for recording and having fun in the house, practicing.

I guess some of the confusion comes from being a guitar player, playing an electric guitar straight into the board would sound afwul

but I understand it sounds good on bass

but I wanted to ask more experianced players

Id ask my bass player but he is on tour with his other band (we do a sequenced thing now). IIRC he would plug into his amp, then it had a direct output that was used to get his bass FOH

• Members

Now, if one wants more tonal control, instead of relying on the engineer, then a preamp is in order. Something like a Sansamp, maybe. Then run bass to preamp, preamp to DI. That way, the controls on the preamp will affect the feed to the board. The same can be done using the preamp out or line out on the amp, if it has one. Most do. Remember, though, that the sound coming out of the bass amp may not be the same as that coming out of the mains, or going into the board. The speaker cabinet will color the sound considerably. At least, I don't know of many that don't. The location of the speaker(s) affects the tone as well.

Koa, why not mic a 15" speaker cab?

Sansamp Bass Drivers (etc.) are both a pre-amp and DI for clarification....

The sound wave created by a 15" speaker is not fully formed for like 18 feet or something like that (I'm not sure of the exact math....so.....take this for what it's worth...)....15"s traditionally have been used by bassists to "play to the room" - so to speak....

Better off with 10" to close mic - which is what my original post was referencing specifically....

I much prefer the sound of bass recorded direct....just my ears' opinion though....

Peace,

• Members

......... playing an electric guitar straight into the board would sound afwul

but I understand it sounds good on bass

but I wanted to ask more experianced players

Id ask my bass player but he is on tour with his other band (we do a sequenced thing now). IIRC he would plug into his amp, then it had a direct output that was used to get his bass FOH

1) I record 6-string guitar direct a lot......

if I can get good takes from the guitar player, I then "re-amp" their Di tracks...with their amp rig later.....best of both worlds....

a)i can record a whole band in the same room at the same time

b) AND get the guitar player's own guitar tone with GREAT isolation

Peace,

• Members

It's heresy, but I record direct and often use a bass amp sim to add a bit of crunch. For a lot of the music I do, a hint of distortion on the bass lets it work in the mix a lot better by allowing the kick to "own" the ultra-low end, with the bass extending a bit into the lower mids.

The reason I use a sim is because if a band's arrangement isn't firmed up 100% and the distortion is already "baked" into the bass, I can't get rid of it...whereas if the direct sound works I'm covered, and if it needs some crunch, I can dial in the sim amount I want.

To me bass amp sims inherently sound more realistic than guitar amp sims because they don't have to deal with the same avalanche of high frequencies caused by distortion.

• Moderators

Sansamp Bass Drivers (etc.) are both a pre-amp and DI for clarification....

The sound wave created by a 15" speaker is not fully formed for like 18 feet or something like that (I'm not sure of the exact math....so.....take this for what it's worth...)....15"s traditionally have been used by bassists to "play to the room" - so to speak....

Better off with 10" to
close
mic - which is what my original post was referencing specifically....

I much prefer the sound of bass recorded direct....just
my
ears' opinion though....

Peace,

The "fully formed sound wave" argument isn't worth anything. If it were, then headphones wouldn't produce any bass, yet they do. Additionally, the size of the driver has no effect whatsoever on how long the wavelength is. Sound men have been miking 15"s for decades, and doing it well. I see no reason that 10"s would be inherently better.

• Members

The "fully formed sound wave" argument isn't worth anything. If it were, then headphones wouldn't produce any bass, yet they do. Additionally, the size of the driver has no effect whatsoever on how long the wavelength is. Sound men have been miking 15"s for decades, and doing it well. I see no reason that 10"s would be inherently better.

Recording wise (again just my ear's opinion) when the mic is close up - i prefer the tighter response of 10" when listening back, when I have to record a bass amp (only if the client demands it - "yes sir/maam" whatever the client wants I'll do within reason).....that said, I REALLY prefer DI bass tracks. The DI is perfect for doing nearly anything to it later at mixdown.....

• Moderators

Recording wise (again just my ear's opinion) when the mic is close up - i prefer the tighter response of 10" when listening back, when I have to record a bass amp (only if the client demands it - "yes sir/maam" whatever the client wants I'll do within reason).....that said, I REALLY prefer DI bass tracks. The DI is perfect for doing nearly anything to it later at mixdown.....

I certainly can't argue with your ear. And a lot of 10"s have better high end response than most 15"s.

• Members

active pickups are more of a volume thing, like on some EMGs?

Nope, it just means they have an internal preamp that needs power.

Lots of people say that active basses in general (meaning preamp, pickups, or both) are louder than passive basses, but I don't agree. One of my passive basses is much louder than all of my actives.

Archived