Phil Jones Bass amps

Dave drums

• Members

Looking at the Phil Jones bass equipment and have two potential candidates:

M500 amp + 12-B cabinet

Roadcase BG-800

I have a custom-built active 6-string bass with 3-band EQ and nice tone. I'm looking for solid thundering bass with clear mid-range and top end that aren't shrill. I'm in an 80's "hair band" and "arena rock" band and do a variety of gigs from small to big, but I have a nice SWR 4004 stack for the smaller venues. The amp needs to take the low B without getting flatulent.

Anyone have experience with these or heard them?

Thanks,

toemoss71

• Members

Looking at the Phil Jones bass equipment and have two potential candidates:

M500 amp + 12-B cabinet

Roadcase BG-800

I have a custom-built active 6-string bass with 3-band EQ and nice tone. I'm looking for solid thundering bass with clear mid-range and top end that aren't shrill. I'm in an 80's "hair band" and "arena rock" band and do a variety of gigs from small to big, but I have a nice SWR 4004 stack for the smaller venues. The amp needs to take the low B without getting flatulent.

Anyone have experience with these or heard them?

Thanks,

toemoss71

If you are playing more rock'ish music, I would suggest you stay with the piranha speakers. One of the other forumites recently purchased one of the Neo cabs and thought that it was a little warm for his taste. I have two 4b cabs with the piranha's and they handle the b flat very well. I am wholeheartedly impressed with them.

• Members

Perry -

Thanks! I'll steer clear of the Neo cabinets for what I'm playing.

A pair of the Compact 4 cabinets are about the same price as the Neo-Power Cabinet 12-B and have the Piranha 5" speakers. And two 4-speaker cabinets are much easier to haul around than a single cabinet with a dozen or more speakers.

What's disappointing is the PJPS 9B Bass Cabinet with nine Piranha 5" speakers only goes down to 35Hz, while the Compact 4 is supposed to hit 30Hz. I'm hoping a pair of the Compact 4 cabinets will really project the low B while keeping the mid's & high's clear.

Thanks again,

toemoss71

Basses - (both have scrimshawed mother-of-pearl inlay of a Chinese fire-breathing dragon)

Custom-built 6-string neck-through with active electronics & 3-band EQ bass with dark sunburst finish

Lueez 6-string bolt-on with active electronics & 3-band EQ bass with burled poplar top

Rigs -

SWR 4004 head, BBE 422 Sonic Maximizer, SWR ported 4x10" cabinet, and SWR 1x15" cabinet

SWR 8004 T/O/P head with matching 8x10" cabinet

• Moderators

I will say that no matter how you have the EQ set the Phil Jones sounds right. Not muffeled or muddy. Also not over brite. I guess I would say it sounds clear no matter what you do.

Dave Huffman

What if you want it muffled or muddy?

• Members

Isaac -

I have some great drapes you can put over the front of your speaker cabinets....

toemoss71

Basses - (both have scrimshawed mother-of-pearl inlay of a Chinese fire-breathing dragon)

Custom-built 6-string neck-through with active electronics & 3-band EQ bass with dark sunburst finish

Lueez 6-string bolt-on with active electronics & 3-band EQ bass with burled poplar top

Rigs -

SWR 4004 head, BBE 422 Sonic Maximizer, SWR ported 4x10" cabinet, and SWR 1x15" cabinet

• Members

Skip T!! Dudeski!!

Playing with the KMSG tonight a the Village Green in Cottage Grove, then nothing 'til the end of September at the Mohawk Pub in Springfield.

How's the gigging going?

Looking forward to the fall & getting our trio up & running, maybe find a lead player and be able to play out...what a concept!!!

toemoss71

Rigs -

• Moderators

Skip T!! Dudeski!!

Playing with the KMSG tonight a the Village Green in Cottage Grove, then nothing 'til the end of September at the Mohawk Pub in Springfield.

How's the gigging going?

Looking forward to the fall & getting our trio up & running, maybe find a lead player and be able to play out...what a concept!!!

toemoss71

Playing tonight. Not feeling well, but the show must go on. This would be better addressed in the "Might have an audition" thread.

• Members

Perry -

A quick question: My "big amp" is an SWR 8004 stack, which is 800 watts into an 8x10" cabinet. It has loads of volume and low-end thunder, but not much for definition or high-end clarity (even with the BBE 442 unit) which is why I'm seriously thinking about replacing it. How is the setup you're using in terms of volume? How many watts is the Shuttle 6.0?

• Moderators

Volume is a function of moving air. I think it highly unlikely that 5" drivers will move anywhere near as much air as 10" drivers. Everyone says that the PJ amps and speakers sound terrific, but I don't see how they're going to move enough air to be adequate as the bass amp for a loud rock band in the absence of PA support.

• Members

Perry -

A quick question: My "big amp" is an SWR 8004 stack, which is 800 watts into an 8x10" cabinet. It has loads of volume and low-end thunder, but not much for definition or high-end clarity (even with the BBE 442 unit) which is why I'm seriously thinking about replacing it. How is the setup you're using in terms of volume? How many watts is the Shuttle 6.0?

Probably equivilant, the 4b cabs are punchy. You really just have to hear them to believe them. The Shuttle 6.0 puts out 600 watts rms with a 12AX7 preamp. It is plenty loud. I can be pain in the ass loud with it.....:D Its always fun when there are bassist in the crowd when we set up for a gig. I walk in with my rig and start setting it up, when I break out my MTD five, it always draws them up. "That little toy amp can't handle that low b can it?" I usually will crank it up the master to about noon and part their hair for them. What Isaac always forgets is that Phil Jones is a direct decendant of Merlin.......:eek:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Just have to add my bit to this discussion.

I have been using an 8B cabinet for the last 4 years. It is terrific and without a doubt the best sounding box I have ever used. I wouldn't say no to having another to tie in for gigs asking for the kind of volume I played at when I was a kid. The PJB makes my Rob Allen fretless sound about as good as it will ever get, lots of smooth woody sound, great punch if asked and effortless full range reproduction. It is a great clean box for a Bartolini based guitar as well - perhaps a bit too bright but it certainly keeps your chops honest. I just bought the compact 4 and it comes up a bit light on the bottom end in comparrision but I expected this. Roll in more bass and it fattens up quite nicely. Keeping in mind I'm trying to make a box respond and sound like something almost double it's size so it does soak up a lot of power to do it. 

I really think these speaker boxes are about the best I have ever played and like a lot of people I've played through just about all the combinations and kinds of speakers produced from the 70's to the present. 

Has anyone had anything go wrong with their pjb stuff or have anything negative to say about them? I don't but I'm only one voice. 

Archived