How Much Should A Church Bass Player Get Paid

acmaddox0825

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's put it this way, because I get the impression you're not thinking of it like this:
You're freakin' lucky to have a gig that pays 14,000 a year for a bi-weekly practice and a sunday show. 14,000 a year may not be a lavish income by any means, but most professionals can't make that much for the same amount of work. A $1,600 Conklin sounds like better than "decent" gear to me, and although not having a car sure sucks, I'd be really suprised if you can't do something else to supplement your income with the way your schedual sounds.
Given that, I can see why some people like dragon666 are so put-off by this thread. I know you're not whining here, but given the things you've already got, perhaps you could see why some people think you are.

• Members

Translated: I got nothing to back up my statement other than a pathetic example or two of churches where the members expect the preacher to work for free and eat squirrel for dinner.

Having grown up in the 'Bible Belt', you can rest assured that it's every church's mission to see that their pastor is cared for financially. In fact, in the vast majority of congregations, it's a point of pride in terms of offerings that start with the salary and end with the sharing of fresh food at every point along the way. They won't get rich from it but at least in the majority of small churches I've been associated with, that's not the point - the point is that they won't starve either and can at least afford the basics - including transportation.

You might enjoy reading some of the articles on North American Mission Board's site also.

I think that Rossville Georgia Qualifys for being smack dab in the middle of the Bible belt where I was born and raised.

and I can assure you that no one I know of expects their pastor to work for free but sometimes due to the size of a church sometimes Pastors have to work a full time 40 hour per week Job and pastor a church for free because the congrecation is so small that all the Tithes and offerings go to keep the power on and the morgage/ rent paid not to mention in order to keep the doors of the church open,; lets not forget all the other expenses such as sunday school Quarterlys, that stuff is not furnished by the Church board for free.

sometimes the lack of membership andTithing does not leave anything to financially Compensate the Pastor, let alone Pay the musicians

Yes those kind of churches still exist:wave:

• Members
No argument from me regarding small churches. I just hope your teachers are paid for their efforts.

smack.gif
You are kidding right?:confused:

I teach Sunday school and I would not think of taking money from the church for teaching, That is a privelage for me to teach not something that I feel I should be compensated for

I suppose you think someone who teaches or holds other positions in the church should not have to pay tithes and offerings either?

God bless your little pea picking heart

• Members
smack.gif
You are kidding right?
:confused:

I teach Sunday school and I would not think of taking money from the church for teaching, That is a privelage for me to teach not something that I feel I should be compensated for

I suppose you think someone who teaches or holds other positions in the church should have to pay tithes and offerings either?

God bless your little pea picking heart

You're missing the point of the intial post; dude's playing bass for a multi-million dollar congre-conglomeration, not a small church. He's not merely complaining about the wage, but also the way they monopolize his time.
If he was playing for a 100 member congregation I'd say he was trippin' for wanting to get paid. But a 5000+ person mega church? That's more than the last 3 companies I've worked for employed combined, their congregation are essentially customers, and they recruit people into the church the same way McDonald's gets people to buy cheeseburgers.:D
C7

• Members
You're missing the point of the intial post; dude's playing bass for a multi-million dollar congre-conglomeration, not a small church. He's not merely complaining about the wage, but also the way they monopolize his time.

If he was playing for a 100 member congregation I'd say he was trippin' for wanting to get paid. But a 5000+ person mega church? That's more than the last 3 companies I've worked for employed combined, their congregation are essentially customers, and they recruit people into the church the same way McDonald's gets people to buy cheeseburgers.
:D
C7

If he or anyone is full time in the music ministry or any other full time ministry should be Financially compensated with a good salary
God thake care of those who are doing His will I have no doubt about that because I am not always in his will and He has blessed me far better than I deserve Financially and otherwise:thu:

All things work together for the good for those who love God and who are called according to His purpose. :wave:

• Members

If he or anyone is full time in the music ministry or any other full time ministry should be Financially compensated with a good salary

God thake care of those who are doing His will I have no doubt about that because I am not always in his will and He has blessed me far better than I deserve Financially and otherwise:thu:

All things work together for the good for those who love God and who are called according to His purpose.
:wave:

An affront to God:

m55046509.jpg

If your church has a Jumbotron, it's time to rethink your connection to the Lord and your place in the flock.:D

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Well the bible says for a man to make his living of the ministry. so in other words if your doing work for a ministry you should be getting something.. if that something isnt what you need tak to your pastor or music director or the finance manager of the organization.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Crescent Seven wrote:

If he or anyone is full time in the music ministry or any other full time ministry should be Financially compensated with a good salary God thake care of those who are doing His will I have no doubt about that because I am not always in his will and He has blessed me far better than I deserve Financially and otherwise:thu: All things work together for the good for those who love God and who are called according to His purpose.
:wave:

An affront to God:
m55046509.jpg
If your church has a Jumbotron, it's time to rethink your connection to the Lord and your place in the flock.
:D

Is that Lakewood? Yeah, they basically bought Compaq Center, former home of the Houston Rockets, and turned it into this monstrosity. I have no problem with money changing hands in a church to compensate people for their time and talents, but when you commercialize religion like this, especially when you start seeing income gaps between the average full-time church employee and the head pastor that exceed those in corporate America, there's something very wrong.

Archived