How Much Should A Church Bass Player Get Paid

acmaddox0825

• Members
i should also add that if my request isnt granted i dont intend on leaving the church, but if the financial duties outweigh the charges at the church, then i might have to go.
:(

im not whining. my simple question was how much should i get paid for my duties. most of the people have never played for a church that seats 3500 on a regular basis, where there is no such thing as "volenteer" or "standby" our praise team gets 150 a week to sing. the drummers make around the same thing. and as i stated before i asked them for ANY HELP THEY COULD PROVIDE! i guess a church that makes 50000 a week cant afford to give a brotha 500 extra or 1500 extra or raise my pay to help. i guess i am being foolish. i mean why should i walk to church and the pastor who walks out right before he preaches gets 4000 a sunday and is passing by me while im walkin to the bus stop up the street. what is wrong with him making a plea to the church to help a musician out. they do it when a camera is broken or for the pastor birthday. we dont get appreciations, vacations, or anything like that.i mean the levites in the bible where compensated. so why cant i. like i said im not askin much. if i where to go to a club . the saits would say all kinds of stuff. if i wanted to go to europe on a tour, no you cant cuz if you do you will be fired or docked. but im there every sunday for every program , every special event. people pay for christian music cd's. nobody tells kirk "dont charge, do it for the love of God." nobody tells t.d jakes or rod parsley, "preach the word from your heart, nope nobody questions thet pastors in large churches are in the church for 1 productive hour and have leer jets, nice cars, diamond watches etc. but its wrong for me to ask for a little help. explain that. noone has touched that one on this forum yet!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
i had a "meeting" with the pastor scheduled, but the minister of music called me over the phone instead. we takled, he said the church isnt able to do anything:rolleyes: but the thing that really got me was that the pastor deciced to send an informant instead of taking time out of his schedule to meet with one of his employees that he works with on a weekly basis. i really feel that he dosent value me as an individual.
:(

That does stink. I think your attitude is good and they did not handle this right. But to be fair, churches typically vote for a budget once a year, and it may be true that they really "can't" pay you more right now. But they should still want to help you with your current situation.

• Members

SNIP

Get out of that church. Seriously. Your pastor's not preaching for God, he's preaching to line his own pockets. Find a cover band, work small time other jobs to pay the rent. I read the portion about asking for money for his birthday, and I threw up a bit in my mouth (not really, but you know what I'm saying).

• Members

Get out of that church. Seriously. Your pastor's not preaching for God, he's preaching to line his own pockets. Find a cover band, work small time other jobs to pay the rent. I read the portion about asking for money for his birthday, and I threw up a bit in my mouth (not really, but you know what I'm saying).

I didn't get that the pastor asked for money for his birthday out of his post. It's hard to know the situation without being there, but obviously the Church has set its priorities (for better or for worse) and if they're not willing to ante up to what you need to do the job, it's time to move on. Simple as that. Same with any job, ministry or not.

• Members

I didn't get that the pastor asked for money for his birthday out of his post. It's hard to know the situation without being there, but obviously the Church has set its priorities (for better or for worse) and if they're not willing to ante up to what you need to do the job, it's time to move on. Simple as that. Same with any job, ministry or not.

I dunno... It really bothers me that the pastor drives a great car and can make so much money while our friend is struggling to make ends meet. I mean, it's one thing in the business world, but this is a church we're talking about. Something's just wrong with this situation.

• Members

Is that 50K a week surplus to costs, or is it revenue before costs?

If the preacher is wearing silk suits, it's time to ask for a raise or to take a hike.

If it's silk suits and no raise, I'd be mighty tempted to ask whether he needs a house band at his next wife swap ho(e)down. :D

• Members

I dunno... It really bothers me that the pastor drives a great car and can make so much money while our friend is struggling to make ends meet. I mean, it's one thing in the business world, but this is a church we're talking about. Something's just wrong with this situation.

That's true - if that is reality. What we're getting is information from a person who is upset about the situation, who may or may not be letting his or her emotions get in the way of the facts. I hate to say it, but I'm always skeptical about an emotionally-charged person using poor grammar.

I've been there before - complaining about a pastor in a church I thought wasn't very good or on track. However, I don't know the real situation. I have no clue if he has a diamond watch, a leer jet and that he only shows up on Sundays. For all I know, he could be serving soup at a homeless shelter during the week and driving a Taurus.

In the end, I cannot judget a man's heart, much less from an Internet post.

$.02

Dustin

• Members

The behavior of this pastor seems bothersome to me too.
On the other hand though, to what degree of "on call" are you? You mentioned the practices are typically at night, although inconsistent. Two or so practices a week plus a full sunday for 14000 a year sounds like a sweet deal to me. Is there no room to fit a day job in there? It sounds like your schedual isn't totally filled up.

• Members

i know my grammar is a little off cuz im typing kinda in a hurry. but dont take it from me. do the research. either they have a great source of income from the church or , "people" have helped them to the point where they dont need a salary. im not really mad, and i apologize for coming of that way. but its fact.look up T.D jakes ,Eddie L. Long, Creflo A Dollar, Rod Parsley, Joel Osteen, Bennie Hinn, these guys are millionaires.now im not downing these men of god, but last time i checked i was in the same soul saving business, so why cant i peruse my ministry full time. why cant i use my God given gifts and expect to be compensated accordingly. let me say it again. im not asking for alot.im not asking for a leer jet, a mansion or anything of the sort. im just asking( which i was turned down by the way for some assistance. when someone walks iin the church homeless they can buy that person groceries. i thank god i have a roof over my head, but i ask for assistance and even on the HCBF community, i am wrong. im not mad just kinda shocked.and please dont forget i don't have a car so working and hauling my bass around at work is a nono. i wouldn't dare put my bass in a locker at work and its gone when i get off!.its not a small church, they don't ask us to do minimal work. they really put a load on us.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.religiousbroadcastdesign.com/images/portfolio/salem_east/salem_east_image_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.religiousbroadcastdesign.com/portfolio/salem_east.html&h=307&w=409&sz=37&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=WJz4PFWHPifIIM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsalem%2Bbible%2Bchurch%2Batlanta%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG
i thought it would help to see the church.

• Members

I understand where you are coming from and I can't blame you for wanting to make a job that you love profitable enough that you don't have to worry about money.

However, I know people who are in ministry who have had to take second jobs to make ends meet. Why do they bother with ministry? Because they felt it was worth the trouble, worth the struggle. It all comes down to where you want to make sacrifices in life.

$.02

Dustin

• Members

so why cant i peruse my ministry full time. why cant i use my God given gifts and expect to be compensated accordingly.

Well, whether you know it or not, you are in full time ministry. And don't forget that even Paul supported himself by making tents. Not to bag on you or anything but I just don't know of any musicians who make their living through playing music at church. I know of a few who make some extra bucks on the side but that's about it. If you want to make a music playing bass, then you should be treating your playing as a business. Get some business cards and get out there and play. Get your name around and see what happens.

• Members

Nice looking church but to be honest, it's displays of wealth in churches like that which drove me away from big churches.

This is one of my riding friends in front of a church in the bottom of a canyon in Mexico. The guy in the picture has ridden around the world several times and is in his 60's btw. here are only a few houses near by and most of the Mexicans that attend it come from miles around.

I feel the presence of the spirit here more than I do in a place like the one on your site. Nothing personal - different strokes don't you know....

Chrisandthelostcathedral.jpg

• Members

i have played in hundreds of churches, including mega churches, and it is almost lunacy to ask for 20k, for playing bass... besides, if you are on that stage, you should know why you're up there, to worship God... maybe it's not for you...

not really. and i know why im up there and it hasnt taken me hundreds of churches to figure this out. i was playing the organ before i relocated to this church. i wanted to expore all of the limitless gifts that god has given me. it kinda sucks though when you want to get the aguilar but gotta get the behringer cuz 2500 for a rig could be a car. but like i said before. in due season. im not mad, im not money hungry, i love what i do. it just gets hard sometimes.i know a few bass player that make 40-50 a year doing nothing but playing for a church, however devilish they may be. i know my reward is in heaven, but dont bash me cus i want more. isnt that human nature. we all want more, thats why billionaires want more money. its becaues God put in our spirits eternity. and he is the only one who can give us that.i would probably never be satisfied untill i die, then that want will be fulfilled beyond comparison!

• Members

I am a minister of music at my church and I am one of two bass players at the church. My church is a lot smaller than your church(100 people) and I can relate to your situation somewhat.

I have played in the region for some bigger churches that would pay me and tried to lure me away from my home church. I can see where you would want to get a raise or some help because you want a car but in reality you are making some good money for playing as you do. Being a full time musician is hard and I could never do it because I have a wife and kids to support. I do not get paid by my church because I choose not to. It becomes a job and playing for the church is something I want to enjoy. I believe in getting paid for your services especially if that is all you do. But sooner or later you may have to decide that you are gonna have to do other things to get what you need. I have played for other churches and groups but I also do lessons and repairs on the side so that money covers my gas attacks. I also play in two other groups so I have a little more freedom than you do.

People can only help so much. A lot of times you have to get some things on your own!!!

• Members

not really. and i know why im up there and it hasnt taken me hundreds of churches to figure this out. i was playing the organ before i relocated to this church. i wanted to expore all of the limitless gifts that god has given me. it kinda sucks though when you want to get the aguilar but gotta get the behringer cuz 2500 for a rig could be a car. but like i said before. in due season. im not mad, im not money hungry, i love what i do. it just gets hard sometimes.i know a few bass player that make 40-50 a year doing nothing but playing for a church, however devilish they may be. i know my reward is in heaven, but dont bash me cus i want more. isnt that human nature. we all want more, thats why billionaires want more money. its becaues God put in our spirits eternity. and he is the only one who can give us that.i would probably never be satisfied untill i die, then that want will be fulfilled beyond comparison!

IMO, Aguilar should be your last concern if you need a car to get more work. You getting an Aggy is much like your pastor driving a Maybach.

Still, I wish you the best, I hope you get things sorted out.

• Members

My opinion for what it is worth is get whatever you can. It is a job to you, not a ministry. I have played at Church for 30 years, big, small and in between, but hold down a regular job, practice and play.

If you look at it as a paying gig (and not a blessing that you happen to get paid for it), then it is nothing but work, and you need to deal with it accordingly.

Archived