drum machine?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

ive been having a hard time finding people to jam with because of my work schedule :( i was wondering if practicing with a drum machine or drum loop will improve my groove:D

what kind of drum machine or software do you recommend i get? cheap or free if possible is what im looking for because im saving for a rig as my next actual gear purchase. im also looking for something that doesnt take alot of practice to be able to use

thanks

• Members

loops samples cd collections don't cost much , you can drag them in your recording software and build loops / tracks , probably find them free too, there are a couple free drum programs out there , weren't they giving away reason or refill *something like that* not to long ago . I'm sure you could pickup a cheap drum machine . You could also burn the drums to cd and play to that . I use 2 that are not free , ezdrummer and Drums on demand . :cool:

• Members

If you need/want an hardware drum machine, I second the Zoom suggestion perfessor just made.

I think he has the MRT-3B, which is extra cheap (cheaper then a distortion box) and works real well !

I've got the RT-223, which I bought used for the price of a MRT-3B.

I love it ! I prefer the drum sounds of the Zoom compared to Boss Drum Machines. And the built-in effects are more then usefull !

• Members

Originally posted by Perfessor

I have the same situation and I bought a Zoom. It was 89 bucks on sale and does the job.....I think it improved my timing, too, because I notice about half the people I play with speed up or down.

you got a model number i did a google search for zoom drum machine and it is showing stuff for around $200+:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by jonathan_matos5

you got a model number i did a google search for zoom drum machine and it is showing stuff for around $200+
:eek:

It's a MRT 3B. Slick little thing with more than a hundred rhythms in any speed you want. You customize it but I never took the time. I just use the drums sounds as they're presented.

• Members

I use and prefer the Zoom RythumTrak 234. I think it their best and most versatile and best sounding drum machine. The RythumTrak 223 is good too, but more limited in on the fly sound tweaking, layering etc. Either used should be gettable for under $200.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I have a Boss DR-670.  You can easily change drum kits (minor changes) and tempo Anything else is very complicated and it doesn't save any alterations you make to drum kits.  The bass they advertise with it is more of a pain then useful.  each beat has one bass note it plays along with the beat and is incredibly difficult to change.  The beats are very obscure.  I've never liked it very much as I do mostly country and rock, 60's 70's.

I just bought a Boss RC-30 looper.  This has 9 preset drum beats, pretty usable and is great for jamming alone.  It allows you to play along with the built in drum beats, layering sound as you go.  My guitar instructor has one and uses it all the time for teaching so I thought I'd try one.  It is like having your own band playing along.  I'm very happy with it.  It's pretty easy to add your own rhythm by tapping on guitar body, strings.  

I've seen really good reviews for a looper called DITTO Looper and the Boss RC-3 if you don't need the two tracks.  Very inexpensive and easy to use.

Archived