I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members
It's the spousal unit's puter.

That said, I've always had to d/l service packs for every version of Windows, and it's never been much fun.

Windows patching has always been a very lousy process. Install this. No, you can't install that until you install the other thing. That's done. Reboot. Now you can install these things. You can't install those things until these things are installed. Reboot. NOW you can finally install these things.

Oh, and reboot.

• Members
Windows patching has always been a very lousy process. Install this. No, you can't install that until you install the other thing. That's done. Reboot. Now you can install these things. You can't install those things until these things are installed. Reboot. NOW you can finally install these things.

Oh, and reboot.

Spot on, I say. :thu:

I'm off to reboot...

• Members
Now if you use Linux, then you can drink the rum straight from the bottle.

You'll have to, too. It's the only way half the {censored}ing commands make sense ;)

Linux as a desktop is meh. As a server, I'd rather use a real Unix OS running on more reliable hardware. Give me AIX or Solaris any day.

• Members
You'll have to, too. It's the only way half the {censored}ing commands make sense
;)

Linux as a desktop is meh. As a server, I'd rather use a real Unix OS running on more reliable hardware. Give me AIX or Solaris any day.

I love it on my desktops.

I like it on servers too. =P

• Members
I love it on my desktops.

I like it on servers too. =P

Yeah, but that's when you don't have to support it on things that host all kinds of websites and applications that your customers are using.

Linux isn't necessarily that bad an OS. The real problem comes in using hardware that just isn't designed to be a 24x7 data center server. On top of that, the error logging just isn't there. Memory problems? Linux isn't likely to detect ECC errors like AIX or Solaris will and it if manages to, the likelihood of me getting the specific memory slot is pretty low. The hardware and OS aren't from the same vendor so the tie-ins are weaker. Then, of course, you get into finger pointing when the hardware vendor says it's an OS problem and the OS vendor says it's a hardware problem. If I'm dealing with IBM, the problem falls to them regardless. Ditto Sun.

On the desktop, Linux is functional but still lacking. Firefox is pretty good but it still has problems on many sites that Firefox on Windows doesn't have issues with. That and the alternatives for some of my favorite tools just aren't quite there (Irfanview comes immediately to mind). Not to mention the number of spreadsheets I look at that don't work with OpenOffice fully (particularly advanced ones that pull in web content).

I do continue to use Linux as a secondary desktop. To be honest, I'd probably be more functional running Windows... as a Unix Admin. Yet I stick with Linux since I really don't feel like having a corporate image thrown on my other desktop complete with corporate software bloat and such. Yet even with that, I find myself using the Linux desktop far less than I used to. Windows is easy at work. My email is there. My office instant messenger is there. I have Exceed installed for X Windows access and I use putty for ssh.

At home, I really have no use for Linux other than for skill enhancement for work. I game and really don't care for any of the solutions thus far to run Windows games in Linux. Given the time spent, I'd rather just use Windows. The laptop is Windows as it's a backup gaming system if my desktop takes a dump. That and it's normally my web surfing system and, as I mentioned earlier, certain sites just don't work as well with FF on Linux compared to FF on Windows.

• Members
Yeah, but that's when you don't have to support it on things that host all kinds of websites and applications that your customers are using.

Linux isn't necessarily that bad an OS. The real problem comes in using hardware that just isn't designed to be a 24x7 data center server. On top of that, the error logging just isn't there. Memory problems? Linux isn't likely to detect ECC errors like AIX or Solaris will and it if manages to, the likelihood of me getting the specific memory slot is pretty low. The hardware and OS aren't from the same vendor so the tie-ins are weaker. Then, of course, you get into finger pointing when the hardware vendor says it's an OS problem and the OS vendor says it's a hardware problem. If I'm dealing with IBM, the problem falls to them regardless. Ditto Sun.

On the desktop, Linux is functional but still lacking. Firefox is pretty good but it still has problems on many sites that Firefox on Windows doesn't have issues with. That and the alternatives for some of my favorite tools just aren't quite there (Irfanview comes immediately to mind). Not to mention the number of spreadsheets I look at that don't work with OpenOffice fully (particularly advanced ones that pull in web content).

I do continue to use Linux as a secondary desktop. To be honest, I'd probably be more functional running Windows... as a Unix Admin. Yet I stick with Linux since I really don't feel like having a corporate image thrown on my other desktop complete with corporate software bloat and such. Yet even with that, I find myself using the Linux desktop far less than I used to. Windows is easy at work. My email is there. My office instant messenger is there. I have Exceed installed for X Windows access and I use putty for ssh.

At home, I really have no use for Linux other than for skill enhancement for work. I game and really don't care for any of the solutions thus far to run Windows games in Linux. Given the time spent, I'd rather just use Windows. The laptop is Windows as it's a backup gaming system if my desktop takes a dump. That and it's normally my web surfing system and, as I mentioned earlier, certain sites just don't work as well with FF on Linux compared to FF on Windows.

Linux has some ECC support, how strong it is, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure with some chipsets if can give you the module etc that's having it. Don't quote me on it though.

I can completely see where you're going from with the Sun/IBM example though. It's all on them whether it be a hardware or software. If it doesn't work you only have one person to go to and they have to fix it(assuming you have a plan/contract/etc with them).

I've never had a problem with Firefox not properly displaying a page or anything else. Maybe I'm the odd man out though. My Linux desktops do everything I want them to do. I don't think they're lacking in anyway.

Naturally, Linux doesn't have all of the programs windows has but there are other programs for Linux that like them. Sort of like OO and Office. Sure OO can do a lot that Office can but it's not the same piece of program. For my uses OO does everything I want it to including opening Office files etc. I sometimes get irritated with people when people say stuff like, "I don't like Linux, it's not Windows." They're different OSes with most of the time different software, no {censored}. lol

I'm just used to working in Linux so it's the most familiar to me. I'd much rather set up stuff on a Linux box than to use Windows just because I'm used to working with it. When ever I use windows now I always end up swearing at it. haha

I'm not saying Linux is the best OS for all desktops and servers but for my purposes it is the best.