So about this whole Myspace thing...

zookie

• Members

Originally posted by Guitarella

So myspace has obviously helped out some bands to do networking and get exposure.

Do you think that it will become oversaturated though? What about when every band has a myspace page, just like every band has a .com website?

Will that happen, or is myspace here for the long haul? Do you think it will help more struggling musicians be able to be working musicians?

I think it will become saturated just like webpages. But I think the fact that it's interactive (unlike webpages) will help it continue to be a good companion to a website. Either way, having a myspace page can only help you so I think it will just become expected that you have one.

• Members

I dunno, I think alot of clubs/bands/whatever are starting to use their MySpace site as their "official" webpage. Take for instance this particular venue in Greesboro, NC that we'll soon be visiting (a gig by the way that we wouldn't have were it not for Myspace). Their website IS their MySpace page. And I can't help but ask myself... "Well, why not?". I mean, it has everything you'd want/need in a website... calendar, pics, audio files, bio, blogs (ie. news), and a completely built in fan database right there.

Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if MySpace started to become the rule rather than the exception.

• Members

Originally posted by THX1138

I dunno, I think alot of clubs/bands/whatever are starting to use their MySpace site as their "official" webpage. Take for instance this particular venue in Greesboro, NC that we'll soon be visiting (a gig by the way that we wouldn't have were it not for Myspace). Their website IS their MySpace page. And I can't help but ask myself... "Well, why not?". I mean, it has everything you'd want/need in a website... calendar, pics, audio files, bio, blogs (ie. news), and a completely built in fan database right there.

Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if MySpace started to become the rule rather than the exception.

And it's FREE.

Alot of people don't have the money to pay someone for a decent website and definitely don't have the skill to do it themselves.

• Members

Originally posted by BndGrl

And it's FREE.

Alot of people don't have the money to pay someone for a decent website and definitely don't have the skill to do it themselves.

Well yeah... there's that part too.

... If you're into that sortta thing.

:p

• Members

Myspace has been amazing for us - nearly every single booking we've had has come through Myspace. We're only a young band but we're less than 20 shows in and we're getting offers for shows at really key nights from influential promoters (at least in our market).

Our myspace site comes up first in the Google results for our band name (admittedly, we have a very distinctive name), but our official website comes up somewhere in the middle of the second page of results. I'd say about 50% of our official website traffic comes through from Myspace referrals.

The bubble may burst sooner or later, but it's working a treat for us now. And we've made a lot of good friends too.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

It's amazing, sometimes, to think about how much can change in five years.

Hey! Stop topping old threads! I'm reporting you to the moderator! ;)

... but yeah, you're right.. it is amazing how what was almost a necessity for any gigging band five years ago is now a complete afterthought!

• Members

MySpace sucks ass...even with the redesign it's slow. BRUTALLY slow. I log in maybe once every two months to see if I got any messages, and I never have any.

It's just programmed so poorly and has such a clunky interface that it was inevitable Facebook was going to kill it. Especially considering the fact that most people did horrible customizations to their MySpace pages and made them even slower to load.

Zombie threads rise in honor of Easter! ;)

Brian V.

• Members

Every band that is on any sort of label at all still has a full myspace, usually professionally done. I keep hearing this 'no one uses myspace anymore' yet every band I've had any interest in at all has one. What gives?

Because it's still FREE.

Costs of a pro MySpace layout are negligible. Any band with a semi-serious social media plan and half-assed budget hires someone who is going to give them FaceBook, Twitter AND MySpace profiles/personas.

Why shut a door that a small % of your potential audience MAY come from when it costs and takes away nothing from your other (primary) avenues?

• Members

I credit us and Myspace being around at the right time. We were one of the first bands in my area to first have a myspace page and almost instantly we caught on to how important social networking was in a local entertainment scene. I'd say we had a good year head start over most bands in my area, and while they spent one a week sending out band emails we started instantly using (key word: using NOT abusing) bulletins. It was a great retention tool and I think it 2005 & 2006 it was probably one of the greatest tools we had at our disposal to get exposure and keep our name in people's conversations. That seems like a decade ago. Facebook isn't the same to a large extent. On Facebook everyone is friend... whether it an acquaintance, a boss, a business, the deli down the street or the band constantly spamming you. The difference was Myspace was all about promotion... self promotion... Facebook is all about connection and interaction. It's harder for a band it interact one on one when it is trying to maintain hundreds of relationships.

Still Facebook won... and Myspace is but a memory for most. We still have our MS page up but we just direct people to our FB page.

• Members

I The difference was Myspace was all about promotion... self promotion... Facebook is all about connection and interaction. It's harder for a band it interact one on one when it is trying to maintain hundreds of relationships.

This is very true. It is a different thing and yes it is harder for a band to interact one on one if they have a "page" and not a profile.

As far as Myspace goes like I said we got maybe 3 gigs out of it, meaning a direct message from a club asking for a gig. But it was very useful researching info for clubs and going after them with phone calls and face to face. So I guess in that way we got a ton more.

• Moderators

Because it's still FREE.

Costs of a pro MySpace layout are negligible. Any band with a semi-serious social media plan and half-assed budget hires someone who is going to give them FaceBook, Twitter AND MySpace profiles/personas.

Why shut a door that a small % of your potential audience MAY come from when it costs and takes away nothing from your other (primary) avenues?

Yep, exactly.

Even though I haven't logged into my personal account for like a year, I still tend to bring up MySpace (usually Googleing "[band name] myspace") when I want to have a quick listen to a band's music. It's habit, and also I pretty much know that every band, big or small, will have a MySpace with music- it's a bit more of gamble with Reverb Nation or Bandcamp of whatever. So even though I like the aforementioned sites much better than MySpace, it's where I go when I'm in a hurry to hear something.

• Moderators

It was a great retention tool and I think it 2005 & 2006 it was probably one of the greatest tools we had at our disposal to get exposure and keep our name in people's conversations.

Oh hell yes. As frustrating as the site has always been (though, if you can remember the early early days, it wasn't that bad, and actually kinda fun in some ways) for my band, from maybe 2006-2007, MySpace was a tremendous help. It was instrumental in booking shows both in and out of town, connecting with other bands, and getting new people to hear us. Shoot, we had someone DJing our songs at a club in Vienna.

It's awful now, and I'm glad the time I spend using it is minimal, but I do miss what it was.

Archived