Stage presence...

Beachbum

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting thread! :thu: Would be very cool if you guys could help me with a little something:

I'm doing my first gig in 1 month :eek: Playing guitar ofc, no singing. What advice would you give to me? The public is people from teh high school where I study so like 16-18 year old, so we're not doing any folk or jazz, just some Hard Rock classics and a few new songs that are quite popular.

When I do some jumping % of the time I disconnect the jack cable by jumping on it :| Any advices on this too? :o

• Members

Originally posted by Giorgi

Interesting thread!
:thu:
Would be very cool if you guys could help me with a little something:

I'm doing my first gig in 1 month
:eek:
Playing guitar ofc, no singing. What advice would you give to me? The public is people from teh high school where I study so like 16-18 year old, so we're not doing any folk or jazz, just some Hard Rock classics and a few new songs that are quite popular.

When I do some jumping % of the time I disconnect the jack cable by jumping on it :| Any advices on this too?
:o

get a longer lead

run it through your guitar strap and the amp handle

it shoud be nigh on impossible to get ur lead out doing this.

• Members

Interesting thread!
Would be very cool if you guys could help me with a little something:

I'm doing my first gig in 1 month
:eek:
Playing guitar ofc, no singing. What advice would you give to me? The public is people from teh high school where I study so like 16-18 year old, so we're not doing any folk or jazz, just some Hard Rock classics and a few new songs that are quite popular.

When I do some jumping % of the time I disconnect the jack cable by jumping on it :| Any advices on this too?
:o

Go wireless.

• Members

Originally posted by JBJ

get a longer lead

run it through your guitar strap and the amp handle

it shoud be nigh on impossible to get ur lead out doing this.

Ok this is a very kewl answer but the problem is I don't understand nothing at all in it. (MEh English that we learn in school isnt 'that' good)

:mad:

So:

1)'Get a longer lead' ->Get a longer jack cable? I have 6meters + 3meters if i connect the pedal... Im sure 6 will be enough.

2)'run it through your guitar strap and the amp handle'. -> Amp handle ==??

HELP :wave::confused:

Ha btw, I would LOVE to go wireless but that {censored} costs a fortune!

• Members

1)'Get a longer lead' ->Get a longer jack cable? I have 6meters + 3meters if i connect the pedal... Im sure 6 will be enough.

2)'run it through your guitar strap and the amp handle'. -> Amp handle ==??

i'm kind a jumping in at the end here, but here's some clarification on what JBJ is trying to say.

longer lead, means a longer cable. Depending on how far you want to move, a 6 meter cable from the guitar should be enough.

The 2nd part, about running it through the guitar strap and amp handle is exactly talking about looping the cable through the strap, before plugging it into your guitar. This gives you a bit of protection from yanking the cable out of the socket if you move too far.

If you watch any guitarist where you notice a loop of cable dangling from the guitar, as opposed to the cable hanging straight down from the guitar, that's what they have done.

You can do the same thing with the cable going to the amp, by looping through the handle on the amp. This would be useful when going guitar direct to amp.

Janx

• Members

Originally posted by Janx

The 2nd part, about running it through the guitar strap and amp handle is exactly talking about looping the cable through the strap, before plugging it into your guitar. This gives you a bit of protection from yanking the cable out of the socket if you move too far.

If you watch any guitarist where you notice a loop of cable dangling from the guitar, as opposed to the cable hanging straight down from the guitar, that's what they have done.

Here's a photo example, note the bassist's cord:

012_12.JPG

BK

• Members

Originally posted by harleyguitardog

GO TO NADY WEB SITE AND GO TO CLEARANCES.I SAW A SINGLE CHANNEL VHF FOR UNDER 40 DOLLARS. WIRELESS IS NOT NECESSARILY EXPENSIVE IT DEPENDS ON WETHER YOU WANT TO DRIVE A VW OR A CADI.

Aerhm, If you could me the exact site adress would be good.

Thanks to you.

Janx, thanks much for your clarifications, I'll try that out :)

Edit: Saw your photo brian. :thu: Thanks.

• Members

Aerhm, If you could me the exact site adress would be good.

Thanks to you.

Janx, thanks much for your clarifications, I'll try that out
:)

Edit: Saw your photo brian.
Thanks.

There was a recent thread here on wireless guitar systems.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1182298&highlight=wireless+guitar

And there are many many more

• Members

I personally feel that you cant script stage presence.....love what you do....look like it and the audience will feel that and respond....the more they do the more you love it...the more it shows and "poof"......stage presence................

• Members

i think there are a couple of different types of stage pressence ...

one is the legendary kind of style which is like a beatles,clapton and SRV type thing

two is the whole whacky fall off the god damn stage type .. i guess cobain would fit into that...

three is somewhere in between i guess like a guitar slim hendrix,buddy guy ....kinda thing

anyway i like watching any type of live music ... i always find something to enjoy about it.. if the vocal is bad they might have a good drummer...

my fav to watch was always clapton though he looked very professional

• Members

Originally posted by harleyguitardog

GO TO NADY WEB SITE AND GO TO CLEARANCES.I SAW A SINGLE CHANNEL VHF FOR UNDER 40 DOLLARS. WIRELESS IS NOT NECESSARILY EXPENSIVE IT DEPENDS ON WETHER YOU WANT TO DRIVE A VW OR A CADI.

You also lose gain and dB when you use a wireless. {censored} wireless.

• Members

Originally posted by HOOMER

I personally feel that you cant script stage presence.....love what you do....look like it and the audience will feel that and respond....the more they do the more you love it...the more it shows and "poof"......stage presence................

you'd be surprised how many moves and little "off the cuff" remarks are literally scripted by massive names int he industry.

very few pro musicians who are known for their excellent stage presence havent worked at and honed their "act" onstage.

• Members

Originally posted by JBJ

you'd be surprised how many moves and little "off the cuff" remarks are literally scripted by massive names int he industry.

very few pro musicians who are known for their excellent stage presence havent worked at and honed their "act" onstage.

That's true. As an orchestra player I saw a lot of "acts". So often the same impromto little joke or cute move night after night. It was kinda sickening and hard to watch.

• Members

Originally posted by RockViolin

That's true. As an orchestra player I saw a lot of "acts". So often the same impromto little joke or cute move night after night. It was kinda sickening and hard to watch.

I've observed that in watching improv comedy theatre acts. Same thing, to an audience that's never seen the show before, it looks improvised and funny. In reality, its the same joke or line they've used before.

Most often, I suspect, these little funny lines were improvised once, and was incorporated into the act, since it was funny. Heck commedians do that all the time. It's called performing.

I think the stage show is something a band should work on. It doesn't/shouldn't be a coreographed dance number, but the band should have a toolbox of moves/stances, behaviors and lines to use during the show. Versus not doing anything but standing there and playing your guitar and saying "the next song is ..."

Janx

• Members

Originally posted by Janx

I've observed that in watching improv comedy theatre acts. Same thing, to an audience that's never seen the show before, it looks improvised and funny. In reality, its the same joke or line they've used before.

Most often, I suspect, these little funny lines were improvised once, and was incorporated into the act, since it was funny. Heck commedians do that all the time. It's called performing.

I think the stage show is something a band should work on. It doesn't/shouldn't be a coreographed dance number, but the band should have a toolbox of moves/stances, behaviors and lines to use during the show. Versus not doing anything but standing there and playing your guitar and saying "the next song is ..."

Janx

Its one brand of performing. I saw it happen a lot. Joke gets a big laugh from the 80 to 100 other people on stage on the first night, medium laugh on the second, little to know laugh on the 3rd. Some "performers" would even ask us to keep on laughing! :rolleyes: Might as well have just had canned laughter. Not what I would call stage presence at all.

Occassionally someone would pass thru that actually could go with the flow from night to night and not bore the band with the same tired, regurgitated, showbizzy schlock. They truly new themselves and had the confidence to break the mold at will. The orchestra was genuinely able to be supportive. The audience could probably tell the difference. They rank far higher as performers with actual stage presence for me.

• Members

Originally posted by BeauNasty

You also lose gain and dB when you use a wireless. {censored} wireless.

Mine doesn't, it has a volume knob. It does influence the sound of the guitar though, a little. Doesn't bother me.

• Members

i saw queens of the stone age in 2000, when nick oliveri was still in the band, and just the way that guy looks and performs makes the show twice better. josh homme was quite good too. he just showed on stage and made that big eyes and his head went back, and everyone knew he was tripping out hard that moment.

yesterday i saw the band called liars, and their lead singer also does crazy things on stage. well, not crazy things like david lee roth, just the little things that attract people. even sometimes it's just the way he stares at people in the audience. funny thing, he wore that weird outfit but no one was really impressed with that, it was just the way he performed.

with that said, i realize it's all like going to the circus, kinda silly. but still, if you have the feeling that they're not acting, but are just themselves on stage, with all their charisma, it's very cool. some people, in everyday life, have the ability to make the big impression on everyone when you see them for the first time and didn't even start to talk to them. it's just body language. and when you see someone like that on stage, playing good music, it's becoming more like a magical experience. but it has to look like it's all for real, like you really mean it, all the things you do on stage. even more, it all has to be for real. because there's nothing worse than seeing a kid acting like he/she's someone who they're really not.

me personally, i don't care about it that much. there's something far more important. when you're playing quality music, putting out an album that's well received by both the audience and the critics, people tend to have the preconceptions (is that the word? my english sucks) about you just from listening to the music. and if they think that you're *whatever*, they're gonna perceive you just like that at the concert. if, let's say, the music seems "deep" or something like that, they're going to be amazed at the show even if you're not moving much on stage. so, to me, it's more of a struggle to be an interesing person and make interesting music, i know that if i do that the shows are going to be interesting for the audience.

Archived