I got an unexpected compliment!

New Trail

• Members

I received an unusual and unexpected compliment last week. We had a band rehearsal, but before everyone else got there our drummer told me that he and his wife were listening to a cd from one of our live gigs and she said "Who's that singing?" and he told her it was me. Then she said "He should sing more. He's the best singer in the band!" I was shocked! I have never considered myself any kind of singer at all, and I actually always thought that the songs I sang were kinda filler between the good songs. It's neat to get an unexpected compliment like that. But that's all, thanks for listening. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but I just had to tell someone.

• Members

Hey congratulations. It is always nice nice to hear things like that. Recently a very talented and well respected sound engineer that I have known for many years told me after a recent rehearsal that it is alway well worth the effort for him to come down to listen to me play guitar. This is from a guy who has toured with major bands (Chicago, Beach Boys among others)!!! Stuff like that really makes your day.

• Members

Originally posted by New Trail

I received an unusual and unexpected compliment last week. We had a band rehearsal, but before everyone else got there our drummer told me that he and his wife were listening to a cd from one of our live gigs and she said "Who's that singing?" and he told her it was me. Then she said "He should sing more. He's the best singer in the band!" I was shocked! I have never considered myself any kind of singer at all, and I actually always thought that the songs I sang were kinda filler between the good songs. It's neat to get an unexpected compliment like that. But that's all, thanks for listening. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but I just had to tell someone.

That's awesome. There's nothing wrong with knowing you can sing, and developing that ability to it's fullest. It's one more thing you won't have to depend on someone else for, and makes you far more marketable as a player.

• Members

We had an interesting thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Someone returned a CD (to the theater) of the New York cast recording of the musical we were playing because it didn't sound as good as us!

I got to listening to the CD and they were right. The CD is all compressed, no dynamics etc. No doubt had all of the life squeezed out by the producer.

• Members

Good for you - time to start singing more!

Two weeks ago, a lady went out of her way to track me down on break to say to me, "I really liked your voice. You're really a good singer". :freak:

All I could say was "Thanks", because...

I'm in a band with two AMAZING singers. They are the two best singers I've worked with in 30 years of gigging. And this lady complimented me?

I still think she didn't realize that it's the keys player behind me doing all the (male) lead singing. :(

• Members

it's one of the major reasons for being a musician

just today my wife was giving a friend a ride home from a function

she just happened to have a cd playing at background volumn in the truck of our rough cuts under development

the lady asked who is that we're listening to

my wife told her is was our group with me singing and her son & i on guitar

the next cut was a bluesy instrumental with the mrs on piano & myself of guitar

she was most complimentary

made our day

best to all

• Moderators

Originally posted by MDLMUSIC

Played a gig last Friday with one of my ex-drummers.

His comment to me was, "I'd forgotten how great a guitar player you are."

Then he asked me for some money to buy beer.

I think I know him... ;)

I think the weirdest compliment I got was from a lady booking agent who had heard our promo CD, and she commented on the vocals on two particular songs, and immediately assumed that our harp player, (who is African-American) sang those songs, and was shocked when I told her, oh, no, that was me...:thu:

• Members

New Trail-- that's GREAT! Now, I know a guy who can "take care" of your lead vocalist for about $1500. :D

Really though, there's nothing like knowing the music you make or your playing/singing really hits people in a good way.

I used to get most of my compliments for playing bass in some bands, though I was a guitarist first.

A few years back I stopped playing in rock bands and started up a few old time jug band sort of groups, but we still mainly played with local rock bands at clubs typically aimed at that kind of crowd.

Man, every single time we played we had people come up and thank us and praise us because we were so different from what they were used to and were expecting to see. It was really nice. I miss gigging, but I'll get back to it someday soon.

Archived