Keyboardist or Rhythm Guitarist?

• Members

I am currently the lead/rhythm guitarist in a 4-member band of which only 3 are musicians. So, we have a guitarist, bass, and drummer.

Our music qualifies mostly as Latin rock/jazz - or somewhere in between. The problem is that lead pieces tend to result in a loss of life in the song due to the lack of rhythm or fill in those spaces.

So, we've been thinking about getting a rhythm guitarist but the question was raised about getting a keyboardist instead. Hmm....

Obviously, someone who can do both would be perfect but, if it comes down to one or the other, is there any reason why one would be better than the other? I guess we could try out both and see but I was looking for feedback from folks who might have experienced this "delimma"...

Thanks!

-Samson

• Members

What about both?

Yea, that would be preferable ... we've tried a couple of guitarist already and neither has worked out. The first has his priorities straight :) - his wife is about to have their first baby and... well... his playing time is severely limited. The second... well... not quite what we were looking for. That's why the question of a keyboardist came up...

Thanks!

• Members

Sounds like my kinda gig, I am a keyboardist who can play rhythm guitar.

What about playing less rhythm? Most guitar players automatically fill up all the spaces with rhythm parts, then wonder why it sounds so empty when they play a lead.

If you ever watch any large ensemble play, you will notice that most of the harmony players - reeds, brass, piano - do not play 100% of the time. Watch a symphony orchestra and not even the bass and percussion play 100% of the time. You can learn a lot listening to these groups.

• Members

I am currently the lead/rhythm guitarist in a 4-member band of which only 3 are musicians. So, we have a guitarist, bass, and drummer.

Our music qualifies mostly as Latin rock/jazz - or somewhere in between. The problem is that lead pieces tend to result in a loss of life in the song due to the lack of rhythm or fill in those spaces.

So, we've been thinking about getting a rhythm guitarist but the question was raised about getting a keyboardist instead. Hmm....

Obviously, someone who can do both would be perfect but, if it comes down to one or the other, is there any reason why one would be better than the other? I guess we could try out both and see but I was looking for feedback from folks who might have experienced this "delimma"...

Thanks!

-Samson

Not even a question. I can tell you from being experienced with Latin music you need a keyboard player. There are too many guitars in bands anyway. Drives me up the {censored}in wall.

• Members

Not even a question. I can tell you from being experienced with Latin music you need a keyboard player. There are too many guitars in bands anyway. Drives me up the {censored}in wall.

LOL - at a very minimum, looking for a keyboardist allows us to expand our search...

• Members

Well we have keys, rhythm guitar, AND lead in our band, and it works out great. Our rhythm guitarist plays acoustic most of the time (which would probably sound good in your Latin Jazz/Rock setting), and keys can do more than piano.

• Moderators

I guess we could try out both and see but I was looking for feedback from folks who might have experienced this "delimma"...

I would try both an go with the individual player who gels best, regardless of whether or not he does guitar or keys! :idea:

• Members

All great points so now the REAL question:

How does one go about FINDING a new musician? I've tried the friends, peers, etc. route and so far not much has come out of it. Are there any recommended online tools that can help one find local musicians?

Thanks!

• Members

the switch hitter would be ideal... key/ guitar. If you have to choose go with the keys. Alot of keyboard players ,,, pick up acoutic guitar when they leave home for college. You shouldnt have too much problem finding a guy who plays both in a town like austin . I play both... and thats how i picked up guitar..... Keyboard are not very dorm friendly .

rat

• Members

For latin? Keys all the way.

If you can play decent guitar - which I assume, as you can play lead - why pay someone to play rhythm? (who would presumably not be as good as you)

A keyboardist, if the're any good (or even if not) will add to the technical capabilities of the band.

Only thing that would be better is a horn section! :)

• Members

I went to see a local Latin (big) band recently and was struck to see how much of a load the piano carried- the music certainly seemed more keyboard-based than dependent on any rhythm guitar. And they had a great guitar player too- classically-trained native of Peurto Rico (I believe) who played his ass off on acoustic, electric, whatever.

And you GOT to have an organ on the SaM Tanner stuff, of course.

• Members

There's not even a question, a keyboardist would be preferable to a rhythm guitarist. IMO the "position" of rhythm guitarist is a useless one, anyway, unless he is the lead singer, or a fantastic showman, or has something else to offer, as well. I'm speaking in terms of a working band. In fact, I know of two rhythm guitarists/lead singers who switched to bass so the bands they were in could go three piece so they could make more money.

• Members

In most formats, a straight rhythm guitarist will not add as much as a keyboard player.

Finding any keyboard player is bloody rare in my experience. Finding a good one who also fits well on a personal level is about as common as standing in rocking horse {censored}. :cry:

Fortunately for me, I'm currently in a five piece pop rock covers band with female vocals, two guitars, bass and drums. I play more lead than the other guitarist but he also plays acoustic for half the set. He's also a half decent bass player and can cover the bass when the bassist plays keys which we're working to introduce into the band for some songs.

Archived