Worst Gig Horror Stories

• Members

So,

Last night I played the worst gig ever. BY this I mean adverse conditions, rather than my own playing: I'll post mine, i'd love to hear yours....

Got the gig at the last minute, some guys we know had to pull out, but they were reassuring that it was a good venue, although we would not be paid - the place purports to give local bands a place to play to a crowd, so the quality can be patchy.....

Anyways, arrived at 6 for a soundcheck as instructed. then sat untill 8, still no soundcheck - all our kit was still piled by the stage. the venue only runs drums and vox through the PA, and presumes all amps are capable of filling a 300 seat venue (i use a marshall avt 275, my other guitarist runs a line6 spider II 2 x 12 - worse still, my bass player uses a tiny 150 watt H&K combo, as he is used to going through the PA, so only requires an amp for tone shaping/onstage monitoring).

Show starts, still no soundcheck - the promoter assures us we will be given some time before we start. I'm not happy, but as the venue is packed at the start, we figure we'll just do the show - we are on last, so hopefully the 'sound engineer' will have worked out what everything does.

sit through three excrutiating bands, with the third running over by 30 mins, during which they played some unplanned Metallica covers, inviting their friends on stage for 'guest vocal spots'. their set also featured drum solo's and, my personal favourite quotes; "we only wrote this today - wasnt bad was it?" and "I dont know this bit". This in a venue that charges

• Members

I don't get it, why would you expect a sound check if you were the third band on? Did all the bands have their rigs onstage? Any gig I have played where we follow another band, there is no soundcheck.

I've done bull{censored} gigs like that before, been stuck waiting for soundmen, played on multi-band bills ect... If you go on third in a lineup you won't get a souncheck and you probably won't go on ontime.

Once you do that enough you learn the game, I try to avoid "loading in at 7" if I know we are going on at 10. Personally I despise waiting to play, I just want to go.

Here is one of mine, this was about 10 years ago in NYC, one of the {censored}holes on Bleeker St.

We were supposed to go on at 9pm, we called THAT DAY to confirm and they told us 10pm. We got there later, were in the process of setting up onstage.

Keep in mind that we had about 30 people there, all of whom commuted from NJ to see us play.

As we were setting up onstage the douchebag owner comes up and tells us we can't play. We were supposed to be there earlier and it was simply too late. This quickly led to a VERY heated argument between us and the DB owner and his crony, this argument continued for about 15 minutes as we continued to set up onstage. My drummer told him in no uncertain terms that we WERE playing, period.

Anyhow, the long story short is that they agreed to let us play a short set, 30 minutes. To top it all off while we were playing I saw the douchebag on the side digging the band. When we were done with our set he said we "could play one more".

Never in my life have I wanted to bust someones nose so bad as that night, and this slimy little cokehead jerkoff was not only deserving but I would have done him and society a large service by doing so.

• Members

Here is one that happened a year ago.....

I reply to an ad done by this rock band (whose frontman was also a music promoter). The ad stated that a historical venue has been refurbished and reopened for live music entertainment. Since it was a Jazz club before, they were trying to change and host bands of all types (even Metal, which is why I answered the ad :thu: ). The venue was actually an hour's drive, so I made sure all members were able to do it.

So I replied, I introduced myself and our band, asked the usual questions (what time to be there, other bands we will be playing with, contacts to make note of, type of PA equip. used). I got us booked on a Friday night with 2 cover bands and 1 Rock band.

The big day arrives. We get there on time (6:30 PM, the show starts at 8:00.), all the bands are there except for the music promoter. I called him just to be sure that he is on his way and the show is still going on...................No Answer. I called the other contacts.............No Answer.

Concern was going around us and the other bands......

An hour passes, fear and panic start to creep over everyone. All the bands are calling these promoters but no answer. We all kind of figured they have flaked.

So we get together and decide to continue on the show. Every band drove at least an hour, nobody wanted to make it a waste of time. We decided on how the bill was to be set.

The doors opened and we all walked in our equipment ready to set up. As we (the first band) were setting up on the stage, I realized there were no monitors....then no speakers.........then realized THERE WAS NO PA.

Total Panic poured in. We talked to the employees of the venue. They say there is no PA and they expected us to bring it (wtf?). Originally, the music promoter and his band were supposed to bring it, but theyre not here.

The owner then walked in and was informed on the situation.....he was MAD. He then informed us that they do have a PA and its in the maintenance room. We go in there and pull it out, set it up, and get ready to play:cool: ........................to crowd of +100:thu: ........................whom most were homos:eek: ......there was a gay pride festival going on down the street from the venue...............:deadhorse:

• Members

wow. that sucks.

Amusingly, I am anticipating another horror story this weekend..

My covers band have been booked to play in a local bar - its trying to bring itself up as a music venue, but the usual patrons are less keen. There is no house system, so we bring our own PA/Soundman. However, the promoter has told us today he has booked two other bands (with the assumption that they willl be using our gear). This usually ends in disaster with broken equipment. The promoter is not going to be amused when I present him with a bil for equipment hire - as far as i'm concerned he books us and our gear for an agreed fee. if he wants other bands to use that stuff, and increase his earnings, its going to cost him - PA's dont grow on trees.

Anyways, i'll let you know.

• Members

wow. that sucks.

My covers band have been booked to play in a local bar - its trying to bring itself up as a music venue, but the usual patrons are less keen. There is no house system, so we bring our own PA/Soundman. However, the promoter has told us today he has booked two other bands (with the assumption that they willl be using our gear). This usually ends in disaster with broken equipment. The promoter is not going to be amused when I present him with a bil for equipment hire - as far as i'm concerned he books us and our gear for an agreed fee. if he wants other bands to use that stuff, and increase his earnings, its going to cost him - PA's dont grow on trees.

I wouldn't wait till the day of the gig to spring that one on him, let them know now and give fair warning. If they give you a hard time drop the gig, cause it just isn't worth that kind of hassle. The PA is bad enough but all your gear, no way.

• Members

However, the promoter has told us today he has booked two other bands (with the assumption that they willl be using our gear)

WTF??? Tell him right now to get stuffed, nobody imposes that sort of thing on you! I've shared gear on stage before but only by prior agreement with other bands on the bill in extreme cases.

I'd always want to use my guitar rig anyway and it only takes a couple of minutes to strip down an amp and set another up. Drums are the obvious sticking point though so compromise is useful there if it can be done.

Plus if you were booked to play the whole night and a fee was agreed to that effect, make sure he's not going to try and cut your fee for only playing one set.

• Members

This is the best I have. Drive over an hour to play a venue at UW Madison, get to the gig, set up, the doors open, we take the stage to two patrons who decide to play cribbage shortly into our set and continuously ask us if we can "turn it down so they can concentrateon their game!" You would think if you are hiring a band from WAY out of town that the venue would do their homework and promote a bit!

• Members

All of our horror stories are from bookings we have agreed to do for free in the past -- you know -- for charities. It's so bad that we no longer play for free.

We didn't mind playing for charities -- if fact, we liked helping people out. But we did demand that there be absolutely no hassles. We requested the following simple things: ample electricity supply at the stage, protection from the elements (rain and sun), a guaranteed start time, and unlimited/unimpeded access to the stage area with our vehicles for load in and load out.

What did we get, almost routinely: Inadequate power, usually high gauge extension cords stretched over 200 feet through traffic areas, and almost always one 15 amp circuit that's down to 70-80 volts; the stage was almost never set up and if they went to the trouble of providing some cover, it wasn't set up yet either; They were never running on schedule, usually an hour behind, and wanted us to delay our start and finish as well; and absolutely no way to get the gear to the stage or loaded back up without dragging it through the elements, mud, grass, or even worse up and down a flight of stairs.

These gigs were all the same. Hell. We just don't do it anymore. I'm in another band that still wants plays charities. When they ask if I want to, I always say "what's the hassle factor?" Then say I'm out of town.

• Members

Picker, I couldnt agree more - We do a regular annual thing for local special schools. Its very gratifiying being told by carers/parents that this is the only time many of them will see live music, due to their difficulties - on the other hand, i have had to rescue gear from some autistic kids, try and appease the 16 yr old with behaviourial difficulties who wants to do 'guest vocals', do impromptu sound man duties whilst presentations go on etc etc...........

charity begins at home.

• Members

( previously on "Vanlattes World" )

Our guitar player asked us if we would be willing to play a cancer benefit gig, something to do with one of those triathalons set up to raise money for cancer. We all agreed, after all playing for a good cause is a pleasure.

Well the details were always sketchy, not really his fault because this thing is run by some sort of commitee so there is no single point of contact. First we were told we would start at noon, on a Sunday, playing outside to all of the athelets and supporters after their runs/swims/biking. Then it changed and we are supposed to be playing inside some resturant. *?* Well ok, its a resturant/bar that has bands every weekend. But its sort of small. Uh oh.

We proceed with the plans then find out the time is pushed up to 11:00. Then 10:00. Than 9:30 am. By this time I am beggining to wonder "Who wants to hear a dance band at 9:30 am on a Sunday morning"? but we agree its a good cause, they want the band and it will be just fine. Besides, there will be 1000s of people at this thing (there really was) and the doors will be open for them to come in and enjoy refreshments and music.

We found out that they block the entire city off the day of, so the day before we had to bring all of our equipment; cabinets, PA sytem, drums, etc to a store about a block away for storage. We show up at 7:00 Sunday morning to move the equipment into this resturant/bar and its *tiny*. Supposedly they have bands there all the time but we find out they are the solo piano, acustic duo, jazz trio type.

Uh-oh.

The bartenders are the same poor souls who just worked the saturday shift only hours before and they all looked pretty haggard, although they were trying their best to be friendly. So 9:30 rolls around, and the streets are wall to wall PACKED with atheletes, family and friends. Amazing crowd, you couldnt ask for a better captive audience for a band like ours.

But nobody is coming inside, in fact all of the stores on this street look closed. The only people in this place were our families and a couple friends. So we push the time back to 10:00. 10:30. Finally start at 11:00. Not two songs go by and one of the bartenders is yelling at me at the top of her lungs "YOU GUYS ARE TOO LOUD!". Since I was in the middle of trying to play and sing at the same time I thought she meant I was too loud, so I turn my bass down.

Next song, same thing; more yelling. I see the rest of the guys getting hassled as well and we are starting to get a little frazzled. By halfway through the first set we had the entire PA turned off, except for the vocals so we had no monitiors or anything and our sound guy is telling us it sounds like total crap but the workers are still saying its too loud.

After about 1/2 hour of our 2 hours worth of music we are told we should play one more and then pack up.

What a royal pain in the A$$! I had misgivings about this from the first time I heard about it, not because I mind playing for free, which I dont especially for a good cause, but I could never understand what on earth a rock/dance band would have to offer a bunch of athaleets on a Sunday morning.

• Members

god, i don't even know where to start.

In my senior year of high school, i played in this sort of dance punk band where three of us went to the local public school and two of us went to a private school. One time we were invited to play a fundraiser for the private schools prom, basically to make it cheaper. We get there and the guy whos doing sound is so unbelievably clueless that i basically had to do everything for him. In addition to that, he's not telling the bands when they're going on in an effort to get everyone to stay, so basically, we have a four hour period of time and we don't know when we're playing till five minutes before we are.

we wind up playing last, so i go over to the place where they're selling water and pick up a few bottles, assuming that they're comp for the band. The woman pitches a huge fit and accuses me of stealing it. Here i am, playing a show for free for another school's prom tickets to be cheaper and i have to pay for my own water.

like people have mentioned, benefit gigs are always really poorly organized. my old band played one for katrina relief at our public high school. turns out the girl organizing it doesn't even know what a PA is. She just expected us to use the PA in the auditorium, which is a giant horn speaker in the ceiling, obviously not suited for singing. another band and us find a PA company last minute and give the information to the club, which gets really mad about having to pay the bill.

then we're told that to save time, they're going to alternate bands playing on the floor and bands playing on the stage, of course we get stuck with the floor slot. Then the PA people forget about the show and show up about an hour late. Orignally each band was supposed to have half an hour to play, so what they do is cut band down to 25 minutes and us down to two songs we literally got to play for like 8 minutes. Then low and behold, the other band that was supposed to play on the floor didn't have to and we were the only band playing on the floor, thus looking like total hacks

• Members

wow. that sucks.

So, further to the above, played the show last night. Bizarrely, the promoter turned up, and had done some good things... He ahd contacted the rehearsal studio where we rehearse (the scene in my town is really small) and found bands he knew we would be happy to work with, so I had less worries about gear breakage etc. I raised the issues bout the use of our PA and our sound guy (remember he does it for free as a friend of ours - our whole band pretty much started as a project for myself and our friends. its stunning that we are now one of the busiest around here, and the best paid. huzzah), and he then agreed that we would have some more discussions prior to any subsequent gigs. As an extra bonus, he then paid our soundman for his evenings work - i dont know if it was enough to be worth his while, but he wass pleased enough........

anyway.....

this is my 'Horror story' thread.....

First band go on, no problems, the bar is not that full, but people seem to be liking them. Bear in mind that the promoter leaves stage management to us as the main attraction (and the only people who know how all the stuff works...) so we are happy to let the other bands play 45 mins if they want. Second band go on, they are very good and people are enjoying it. they are quite wellknown and have actually come across from the next town. they have brought people with them. all is well..

untill, 20 mins into their set, the promoter walks onto the stage and starts arguing with them. After a few minutes of onstage no music, I get the sound guy to put on some music and rush o the stage to see whats going on - the promoter is haranguing the band telling them they were crap and ha cleared the bar - so far from the case, i had seen people turning up - and was insisting that they play no more. he reckoned that as he had payed them, he called the shots.... ended up they left, not surprisinly livid, and not unreasonably IMO all their fans left. We had been payed so had to go on, and played to about 10 people.....

I am cursed to play in the house band in hell.

• Members

I've got a fresh one...

I play in a reggae band. Today, we had a gig at 7:30 in the morning. If that's not bad enough, then get a load of how this played out.

So, I asked for a ride from two of our singers last night. They are brothers. They asked me to call them around 6 in the morning, so I did.

Of course, no one answers. I keep calling. No one answers. So, I walk down to the road and figure that they will be there. I sit there until 7 AM.

I start getting upset (of course). So, I run upstairs, apologize to my wife about having to steal the car after promising it to her, drive like a madman and get to the venue a couple minutes after our start time. The singers are nowhere in sight.

We set up and play a horrible set with singing done by us (the backup singers) and a couple of band girlfriends. We muddle through a crap set with everyone making multiple mistakes. I guess we were all upset about the unprofessionalism of these singers.

I think I want to leave this band...:confused:

• Members

I guess I'm lucky, in that at least all of the benefit shows I've played have gone off really well. I'm lucky that I play acoustic so only require a little bit of amplification for the bigger places and vocals, but most of the bands I've seen at them have done well also.

• Members

I don't get it, why would you expect a sound check if you were the third band on? Did all the bands have their rigs onstage? Any gig I have played where we follow another band, there is no soundcheck.

I don't really have that much first hand experience with being in a band, but

as far as venues go, even the most low key underground d.i.y kinda thing will have at least a few minutes soundcheck round here:confused:

I mean usually bands have their own amps, or if shared they will always set it different.

As far as gear sharing goes it is kind of unwritten rule around here, that bands bring their own amps, microphones, snare, drum pedal and cymbals and the pa is always from the venue.

• Members

Anytime I do not get re emburesed for gas is a bad gig in my book. {censored}ing cheap ass owners/promoters.

bassing your pay off the door also sucks especially when your the out of town band and the venue/local band did nothing to promote the event.

Sorry I have done so many shows that there is really no end to the stories I can tell.

• Members

I once played a gig that tops the worst gig story about no thaving a sound check. I payed a guy to reset the intonation and my bridge. I didnt have time due to work. But hey though the bridge on backwards so when i strung the first chord the low e fell of the bridge and would not go back on. Then being stupid i didnt bring a back up and used this fat tall kids guitar. The strap was set so low due to looking cool and playing in a punk band that it was at the same level with my knees. My back felt like i just slept with a two hundred pound lady and she was on top. Then half way through the set i blew out a fuse. What the {censored}. i THEN DECIDED that i was done. Luckily this kid loved us so much that he let me use his marshall jcm 800 and i finished the set. Wow worst night of my life. Sorry so choppy but i am on break.

• Members

Got the gig at the last minute, some guys we know had to pull out, but they were reassuring that it was a good venue, although we would not be paid - the place purports to give local bands a place to play to a crowd, so the quality can be patchy.....

Ouch - let me guess, you guys play originals?

Power to ya I guess but dammit I'd be pissed if I didn't even make enough to cover my gas expenses.

I'll stick with sporadic paid gigs myself - somethings got to help pay for my musical equipment.

Just say no to free gigs - even if you're playing originals you should at least be able to put someone on the door.

I bet many of the bands were just horrible - desperate to play equals no pay.

• Members

Ouch - let me guess, you guys play originals?

Power to ya I guess but dammit I'd be pissed if I didn't even make enough to cover my gas expenses.

I'll stick with sporadic paid gigs myself - somethings got to help pay for my musical equipment.

Just say no to free gigs - even if you're playing originals you should at least be able to put someone on the door.

I bet many of the bands were just horrible - desperate to play equals no pay.

Check the sig.....

Actually, some good has come since I posted the thread. Basically, myself and my band members/associates have formed a promotion company - we already have the gear/crew and have been running shows for ourselves and other bands for a while, and have been speaking to venues who have approached us as a band in the past but felt obliged to go through a promoter for tax purposes. it seems I can make some money for myself, play more shows, and help the local scene a bit. and pay bands for there efforts.....

Archived