WTF is it with other bands talking shit?

nerol1st

• Members

What are they threatened or some crap? Do we just own them in writting? WTF? So we played this bar show here in upstate NY with a PA band and apparently after and during our show they go outside for a smoke (can't smoke in bars in NY) and start talking {censored} about our music. This just seems like the stupidest thing to do, for one it's other bands that usually get you shows (we have had numerous "hey you wanna open for us" offers). The other thing is that other bands bring in new listeners. The biggest lol about the whole thing was the fact that the band sucked I mean terrible (I listened on myspace I had to be to work). But {censored} I am not gonna say that to ther faces or at there show nor on there myspace! In fact I won't even post there link here. The best thing about the whole situation was the fact that half the crowd was ours and we took them with us when we left :evil:.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They were probably jealous that you had a bigger crowd than they did, or your music was better than theirs. So to say you suck makes them feel better about themselves even though it may not be true. That {censored}e happens bro, just keep on with your band moving forward and those types of bands will be gone soon anyway.

• Members

+2

I will add, it's our singer. He talks {censored} about everyone. I am constantly on his ass to STFU!! I have never said anything bad about another band in public. Now if I am home..I might say damn, that's really bad...but I always give them props for even doing it. Geez, it takes guts to get up on stage and do what we do.

I've heard other bands have talked {censored} about us a time or two..I attribute that to jealousy.

• Members

It's a shame but you're going to get that wherever you go I'm afraid old chap. I've been lucky over the years that most of the bands I've been in have been supportive of our peers as well as each other. When I was really doing the rounds (20 years ago - eeek!) this kind of thing happened all the time. Funny thing is - none of those bands or players got anywhere either!:lol:

• Members

What I hate is when I go to practice at the studio...

These total kooks walk around like they are something really special. I say hi to be social and they act all high maka maka (arrogant).

For Christ's sakes, we play reggae, not racist skin head punk (the screwed up thing is that those guys probably are more supportive of each other).

Oh well.

I guess we cannot all be rock stars, huh...

• Members

What are they threatened or some crap? Do we just own them in writting? WTF? So we played this bar show here in upstate NY with a PA band and apparently after and during our show they go outside for a smoke (can't smoke in bars in NY) and start talking {censored} about our music. This just seems like the stupidest thing to do, for one it's other bands that usually get you shows (we have had numerous "hey you wanna open for us" offers). The other thing is that other bands bring in new listeners. The biggest lol about the whole thing was the fact that the band sucked I mean terrible (I listened on myspace I had to be to work). But {censored} I am not gonna say that to ther faces or at there show nor on there myspace! In fact I won't even post there link here. The best thing about the whole situation was the fact that half the crowd was ours and we took them with us when we left
:evil:

What do you call what you're doing now?

• Members

Well he's not slagging off the music of another band for starters...

a) he's talking about their attitude and not their music,

b) as part of a more general point about how behaviour like this can affect progress,

c) without mentioning the band in question at all.

Hardly hypocrasy, methinks...

• Members

It happens all the time. Just make sure you don't burn any bridges just yet.

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Yup. The only band we talk trash about is ourselves - maybe cuz our vox are on the mediocre side and we are seeking to improve in that area.

Nothing like a few good rehearsal recordings to keep the egos deflated....:thu:

• Members

Other bands talk {censored} about other bands all the time.....its just people being people.....

Yes it gets annoying and frustrating, I just let it roll off my back.

What does get even more annoying? Bands that talk {censored} about you to other people...and then make complements [about you] when they're speaking to you.

• Members

if i speak with other musicians in public about their performance, i try to speak to some positive aspect of their act - otherwise, they just get a "nic show" from me. if they aren't good, and the crowd knows it, they will get the idea from them quick enough. no sense provoking anyone.

• Members

Fortunately we don't get too much of that in our little scene - most of the bands we share bills with are friends or at least something of a mutual admiration society. There are one or two that do get into the whole competitive, trash talking thing and it's totally lame, there's really no reason to do that.

Archived