WTF is it with other bands talking shit?

nerol1st

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I was joking!

I think.
:confused:

:wave:

:lol:

Ha, I know the feeling...

There is a band here in town that needs to be told how bad they are. Unfortunately, they're a well-established top 40 band with a full schedule. Their skills had diminished through the years due to a constant rotation of musicians:freak:

• Members

i got a kind of situation there....
2 guys in a band weve played 2 shows with that (i hate being slef centred, but) REALLY suck.
situation....my girlfriend now dated both of those guys in the past. they hate me cause of it lol. they both want her back and try to talk to her. they go to the same church as her, and every week when she goes, i come with her hahaha. they end up following her around, then i show up lol.
we beat them in a battle of the bands lst february; whooped their asses, actually. and they go to the same school as the guys in my band, so theyre friends with them, but they hate me. its a weird sitaution, we play show with them, she comes to watch, they hang out w/ my band guys, her and i go off without them, they get pissed. all they do is spread rumors about my band because of me...

• Members
i got a kind of situation there....

2 guys in a band weve played 2 shows with that (i hate being slef centred, but) REALLY suck.

situation....my girlfriend now dated both of those guys in the past. they hate me cause of it lol. they both want her back and try to talk to her. they go to the same church as her, and every week when she goes, i come with her hahaha. they end up following her around, then i show up lol.

we beat them in a battle of the bands lst february; whooped their asses, actually. and they go to the same school as the guys in my band, so theyre friends with them, but they hate me. its a weird sitaution, we play show with them, she comes to watch, they hang out w/ my band guys, her and i go off without them, they get pissed. all they do is spread rumors about my band because of me...

God that is so high school...

Edit: Ohh, you're in high school...Never mind. See below post :)

• Members
God that is so high school...

Who the f**k cares about all that drama - I mean really - who needs it?

Sheesh - just be the only mature person in the whole scene and walk away - this is so juvenile it's almost hilarious.

If I recall correctly from an earlier thread, he's 14. :D

• Members
If I recall correctly from an earlier thread, he's 14.
:D

That's cool - he can still choose to not be affected by this!

From his post it sounds like he wants to rise above the petty back-talking, I just thought I'd give him a little nudge.

Yeah dude, be the bigger man and just keep on playing what you want to play.

I know peer pressure is a powerful thing to ignore - just keep in mind in a few years you all will look back on this with a different perspective than you have now. Look at this way - you gave em something to talk about, right? You must be doing something right...

As you get older the opinions of others begin to matter less and less - what you're dealing with right now is perfectly normal for people of your age.

Keep on doing the things the way you feel is right, and it'll all work out in the end.

• Members

Well he's not slagging off the music of another band for starters...

a) he's talking about their attitude and not their music,

b) as part of a more general point about how behaviour like this can affect progress,

c) without mentioning the band in question at all.

Hardly hypocrasy, methinks...

You didn't read this poorly written thought?

The biggest lol about the whole thing was the fact that the band sucked I mean terrible (I listened on myspace I had to be to work)

• Members

You didn't read this poorly written thought?

He's only 14 years old.

And who knows, he could be right, ya know?

He just gave his opinion here on HC about the other band - at least he's not trash talking to their friends and acquaintances, right?

I mean if someone is going to critique your sound, etc wouldn't you expect their band to deliver the goods?

That's just a normal reaction methinks and fits my theory perfectly - good musicians don't have time or inclination to slag others.

• Members

How much of this "talking {censored}" is people actually having an opinion on your music? Get over it. People can't have opinions without someone saying your talking {censored}.

No it was strait {censored} talk.

• Members

Wait I am 14?

Add another 10 years on there guys. I think the other band was ages 18-21 or so

Well hell then, why the hell are you even concerned about what other bands think?

That drama you described would make sense for a 14 year old, if your 24 then...well, just...wow.

Nothing more to say - carry on...

• Members

He's only 14 years old.

And who knows, he could be right, ya know?

He just gave his opinion here on HC about the other band - at least he's not trash talking to their friends and acquaintances, right?

I mean if someone is going to critique your sound, etc wouldn't you expect their band to deliver the goods?

That's just a normal reaction methinks and fits my theory perfectly - good musicians don't have time or inclination to slag others.

My point is his attitude only perpetuates the cycle...

If he's "better" than the other band, then why would he give a {censored} about what they're saying? It just doesn't make sense...

• Members

LOL, oh man....Im just going to skip all this stuff and get back to the topic post....

You think thats band check this out. We normally play with metal, death metal, etc. type bands. We got a show with 2 hardcore bands, a "death metal" band, and some other crap I didn't stay to watch. We get there, played after the hardcore bands, I think it was 3rd. Up to this point, no real metal had been played till we got up there. Which is totally cool, like I said, it was to be a mixed genre show. Well, the "death metal" band gets up there and starts talking {censored} on us ON STAGE! Then said it was time for "real metal" and proceeded to dish out hardcore riff after endlessly produced by every othe hardcore band riff. These guys were 16-20...

You see, we are in our l;ate 20's, early 30's....everyone is into early 90's metal/death metal. We don't sing clean....ever. Its like pantera meets cannibal corpse with some Soulfly groove riffs in there.

I was blown away...still am. They played the mellow, emo-ish hardcore and called it "real metal" over triditional Pertera style riffs!!! These kids jaws dropped when we started playing....stood there like they never heard metal before and proceeded to kill each other...then the next band walks on and talks {censored}?!

I don't get it but I will tell you one thing....this new hardcore/metalcore movement is abandoning or just flat out ignoring previous metal movements and making fools of themselves. Learn from those before you....I'm still studying what At the Gates did for melodic death metal. They also fail to reliese in music, you should offer something new in YOUR way, your style....new music. They are simply copying the latest killswitch or haste the day songs. Why would I want to see a local hardcore band play that if I could just go watch haste the day?

• Members

LOL, oh man....Im just going to skip all this stuff and get back to the topic post....

You think thats band check this out. We normally play with metal, death metal, etc. type bands. We got a show with 2 hardcore bands, a "death metal" band, and some other crap I didn't stay to watch. We get there, played after the hardcore bands, I think it was 3rd. Up to this point, no real metal had been played till we got up there. Which is totally cool, like I said, it was to be a mixed genre show. Well, the "death metal" band gets up there and starts talking {censored} on us ON STAGE!

That seems, sadly, to be par for the course for the metal scene, easily the most intolerant and closed-minded genre in existence.

• Members

Lol I forgot to mention that I am in metal. And yeah it's pretty common. Shoot the scene here is so hardcore (literally) that if we played a show with any of the locals they would probably boo us 10 seconds into our first song (even before the singer starts), lol.

All I am saying is: "Why talk {censored} about other bands that could (if you are nice about it) hook you up with shows?"

Seriously.

• Members

I've never heard good players badmouth other musicians. I've heard lots of mediocre players do so. It's the music equivalent of the little guy complex.

Unfortunately this is not my experience. The tendency to slag on other bands is, I believe a function of insecurity, and vast talent does not necessarily equal wisdom, perspective, or a balanced personality.

I was in a band for a while with one of the best drummers I've ever seen or heard, bar none. This guy was really great and should have been a total guru, but he was afflicted with this paranoia about every other band in town. It was like he felt that if anyone else got any respect it was taking away from him and his band.

For the most part, music is not a zero-sum game. In my experience, having more good bands active in the scene makes it better for the individual bands, not worse. People tend to get more excited about live music and a music scene mentality develops, which helps everybody. I'm sure there are situations where there is head-to-head competition for a coveted slot at a prime venue, but even so I have never seen a situation where taking a competitive, antagonistic approach to other bands could be productive.

I think for the most part, most musicians like other musicians, and most musicians are thrilled to discover another good band. Consequently, I think people who consistently tear down other bands have a personality problem. (This does not apply to private conversations with close friends in cases where the band in question is really bad---sometimes you just have to vent.) If you have such people in your band, remember you heard it here first: you are in for trouble down the road.

There's a difference between talking {censored} and legitimate criticism: consider the following statements:

A. "God, these guys suck!"

B. "You know, that singer really ought to get out from behind that mic stand and move around a little. And, the bass is too loud."

Statement B does not, I think, count as talking {censored}. (Well, maybe if you said it from the stage...)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

It's easy to get into a gang mentality with a band. I've had to scold members of every band I'm in to stay positive when it comes to other groups. NOTHING can come from negativity in that situation but a brief ego boost.

Second that...

• Members

If we're going to talk {censored} about a support band at least we won't do it within earshot of them ;)

Saying that, our sort of rival band, apparently they've been talking {censored} about us. We're all friends, some of our guys have been in bands with them etc.

We'll have to 'deal' with them...

• Members

I agree that the guys who are actually in decent bands rarely talk smack about another band. There are jerks in everything, let them be. The way I see it, after they do it enough, the good bands that can make any difference in you scoring gigs will eventually start looking at them and think:

"I wonder what they say when I'm not around....?"

Eventually they might come looking for you to try and score a gig and you can basically tell them that they don't want to play with a band that sucks like yours (Or whatever they were saying) then send them off with thier tail between thier legs.

• Members

theres a band from a town near us that is not so great... but what they do is give the local kids what they want to hear. lots of breakdowns and {censored} so they can do their gay hardcore dancing. its agreed that this band sucks, but we dont say anything to their faces, and why? because when we play with them anywhere around their hometown, they bring all the kids, and the more kids, the more the word can spread about us. you just have to learn to bite your tongue sometimes to better your own band. plus... when you play with crappy bands, it makes you look all that BETTER HAHA!

• Members

theres a band from a town near us that is not so great... but what they do is give the local kids what they want to hear. lots of breakdowns and {censored} so they can do their gay hardcore dancing. its agreed that this band sucks, but we dont say anything to their faces, and why? because when we play with them anywhere around their hometown, they bring all the kids, and the more kids, the more the word can spread about us. you just have to learn to bite your tongue sometimes to better your own band. plus... when you play with crappy bands, it makes you look all that BETTER HAHA!

plus...you may turn around one day and find they've been practicing and they might let you open for them.

Archived