Auditioned a female drummer

niceguy

• Members

Yep, that is pretty much my attitude about it. I didn't get into this to "compete with guys," I got into it because I love music. All the drama and other crap just detracts from the music so I've got no use for it. I do like hanging out with my bandmates socially too, that's part of the enjoyment of it for me so it would be stupid if I had some sort of competitive attitude with them.

And of course there are never all-male bands whose members get competitive with each other. ;)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why not close your eyes, listen to the music, and evaluate a single musician's ability, without ignorantly tagging an entire gender/race based on that one musician?!?

:idea:

There are guys who suck as musicians (take me for example) and then there are some guys who can really play. There are some women who suck at music, and then there are some ladies who can really bring it.

~Blackbelt

• Members
Yep, that is pretty much my attitude about it. I didn't get into this to "compete with guys," I got into it because I love music. All the drama and other crap just detracts from the music so I've got no use for it. I do like hanging out with my bandmates socially too, that's part of the enjoyment of it for me so it would be stupid if I had some sort of competitive attitude with them.

And of course there are
never
all-male bands whose members get competitive with each other.
;)

With guys, its pretty easy, the guy that owns the PA typically is the alpha male. We are mindless gear heads lol. rat

• Members

With guys, its pretty easy, the guy that owns the PA typically is the alpha male. We are mindless gear heads lol. rat

Wow! That's good to know.

Can't wait till the next gig. "It's my PA, so you will all do as I say!"

Wonder how that'll fly?

• Members

Wow! That's good to know.

Can't wait till the next gig. "It's my PA, so you will all do as I say!"

Wonder how that'll fly?

It prolly wont ,, but you can take your PA and go home lol. rat

• Members

Of course I feel like I need to chime in on this.

One question I've always pondered, as a female bass player, why ARE there so many of us? When people ask me that question in interviews, I joke that we are more comfortable in ourselves and just don't feel the need to show off like the guitar players (no offense Lee!). I have my theories about the warmth of the bass and the warmth of a woman, but I also understand that a lot of people pick it up because it's "easier". It's like playing the sax....it takes nothing to be mediocre and start playing immediately. :( But ultimately, I don't know, why are there so many of us? But are there more of us than female singer-songwriters? Doubtful.

As for female musicians being "good enough for a girl" and there not being a greater percentage of females in rock, I agree with some of what Lee said about motherhood and the rock and roll lifestyle not really jiving with what it takes to be a mom. I do know a few exceptions. Plus how many dads really want to see their baby girls grow up to be beer drinkin', cussin', ramen eatin' tough broads who deal with club goers every night? :)

I do look forward to the day when I'm not asked (after I've done load in and set my gear up on stage and conversed with the sound guy, etc...) "Are you in the band or with the band?" (or worse, the condescending "Are you playing tonight, honey.") or the day when I'm never left out of a round of shots with the guys (which would NEVER happen in my new band thank god - the guys wouldn't allow that).

I also believe that Gene Simmons interview (or another one with similar information) was in one of the Bass magazines circa July 96.

• Members
Of course I feel like I need to chime in on this.

One question I've always pondered, as a female bass player, why ARE there so many of us? When people ask me that question in interviews, I joke that we are more comfortable in ourselves and just don't feel the need to show off like the guitar players (no offense Lee!). I have my theories about the warmth of the bass and the warmth of a woman, but I also understand that a lot of people pick it up because it's "easier". It's like playing the sax....it takes nothing to be mediocre and start playing immediately.
:(
But ultimately, I don't know, why are there so many of us? But are there more of us than female singer-songwriters? Doubtful.

As for female musicians being "good enough for a girl" and there not being a greater percentage of females in rock, I agree with some of what Lee said about motherhood and the rock and roll lifestyle not really jiving with what it takes to be a mom. I do know a few exceptions. Plus how many dads really want to see their baby girls grow up to be beer drinkin', cussin', ramen eatin' tough broads who deal with club goers every night?
:)

I do look forward to the day when I'm not asked (after I've done load in and set my gear up on stage and conversed with the sound guy, etc...) "Are you in the band or with the band?" (or worse, the condescending "Are you playing tonight,
honey
.") or the day when I'm never left out of a round of shots with the guys (which would NEVER happen in my new band thank god - the guys wouldn't allow that).

I also believe that Gene Simmons interview (or another one with similar information) was in one of the Bass magazines circa July 96.

I was visiting friends in Kentucky last weekend. We attended their Assembly of God Church in Lebanon. The bass player in the band was the Pastors daughter (as was the keyboard player and drummer). She was a cute 19ish girl that slung it on low like Flea.

She was awesome, hardly ever looked at the neck and sang backup AND several leads. I was really impressed and told her and her parents so afterwards. Her mom even brought up the issue of trying to sing and play bass when the rhythm of the two parts don

• Members

Wow, you know your stuff! Here it is: http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=7535

And the relevant quote:

You've said there's something more male about the bass, as opposed to the guitar.

Oh, yeah. I think there's such a thing as "balls," a male aggression that's induced by testosterone. Bass played the right way can be a very, very aggressive instrument. It doesn't necessarily have to be melodic, although I've always tried to play melodies against the chords and tried not to use the bass for what it's usually been used for, which is a rhythm instrument locked in with the kick. I could give a {censored}--the kick means nothing to me. As primitive as Kiss music has always been, I've tried not to approach the bass just as a sort of pumping-eighth-note instrument. That's better done in AC/DC and other meat-and-potatoes bands.

In terms of lyrics, a lot of people say your work is misogynistic.

It is, without question. It's hairy gorilla music. But I think our critics' anger is a little misguided, because the entire genre is, by definition, sexist. The definition of rock & roll is cock and balls--it's men's music, so if I'm in the genre, don't pick on me for being true to its manifesto. If women want to play rock & roll, great, but they haven't succeeded yet. Okay, so there's Melissa Etheridge, but she still needs guys in back of her. Every band is filled with guys; I don't see any girl bands. One or two come and go--see ya, bye! It ain't serious; it's pop stuff.

You know, girls are going to complain, [shouts in falsetto] "I can do anything you can do!" It's not true. I can lift twice as much as you can--end of story. I don't want to hear a discussion. I can also outrun you. "Well, if I hit you I can hurt you!" You're wrong. If I hit you once in the jaw, you're dead.

Rock & roll is about aggressive vocal prowess and sounding like a bull, and sorry--cows don't sound like bulls. The very phrase "rock and roll" came from old black musicians down in Mississippi and means {censored}; the actual definition of rock & roll is {censored}ing. "Let me rock & roll you all night long"--guess what he's talking about! So if people accuse me of being sexist, I say, "Thank you," because that's being true to the form.

Is it your intent to discourage women from playing bass?

I think it's really wonderful that women take up bass playing and men take up knitting--but one or the other is not going to be very good at it. For some reason, men are designed with our finger abilities nowhere near as developed as they are in females. Women are much more tactile. Women are better at cutting diamonds, so they can wear more of them, and they're certainly better at knitting. It's not my fault, so don't hurt me for it. Now, wielding the heaviest of string instruments? We're designed to carry it better.

• Members

Every band is filled with guys; I don't see any girl bands.

At this point in the interview, Lita Ford and Joan Jett walked in, kicked Gene in the jimmies, and congratulated each other on the best collaboration that they have done in many years.

Seriously though, Gene Simmons is an adequate bass player, but one hell of a business man and marketer. But I believe that he is somewhat like Keith "I snorted my dad" Richards, in the sense that they both have been in the spotlight for so long, through favorable and unfavorable press, that they both feel that the press is just a plaything for them. They can say just about any goofy assed thing that pops into their minds, just to see the reaction of the "journalist", knowing that in the long run, it will not affect their career in the least. In the morning, they will both wake up, and still be gods. That is true freedom.

I think that there are more inside jokes in these interviews than anybody realizes. After all, how many interviews can you do, and still keep a straight face?

• Members

I think that there are more inside jokes in these interviews than anybody realizes. After all, how many interviews can you do, and still keep a straight face?

I firmly agree with that one. I read the press about Genes remarks in Austria about Islam and, as usual, see him almost as my twin. We agree on so much regarding so many of our observations of the world around us, but his response to it is 180 degrees from mine in many ways.

For starters, I am a professing Christian Fundamentalist...

• Members

"The kick means nothing to me" is hands down the most dumb-assed statement I've ever heard any bass player (or cartoon facsimile of one) say.

Of course, given the source, I'm not surprised. Kiss's rhythm section never exactly seemed to be in the pocket (if there was even one to be in) anyway. Smoke and mirrors, and over the top marketing, nothing more.

• Members

Gene is no telent hack compared to Meshell Ndegeocello. He is classic example of the term "legend in his own mind"

Kiss was one of the least talented bands to ever make it in the music biz. They recorded some of the worst rock songs I have ever heard. They did porduce about 5 decent tunes in thier history.

Max

• Members

"The kick means nothing to me" is hands down the most dumb-assed statement I've ever heard any bass player (or cartoon facsimile of one) say.

Of course, given the source, I'm not surprised. Kiss's rhythm section never exactly seemed to be in the pocket (if there was even one to be in) anyway. Smoke and mirrors, and over the top marketing, nothing more.

Eh, the dude is playin bass to be a rockstar, bang chics, and make as much dough doin it as possible. He ain't tryin to please any technicians.

Go for it Genie.

• Members

I think pretty much most of his statements are over the top just to get a rise or make a point. It's one of the reasons he reminds me of me. :p

• Members

Eh, the dude is playin bass to be a rockstar, bang chics, and make as much dough doin it as possible. He ain't tryin to please any technicians.

Go for it Genie.

Pretty much the same reasons we all started playing rock. The holier than thou arrogance came later.

• Members

Pretty much the same reasons we all started playing rock. The holier than thou arrogance came later.

Naw, I didn't start until I was 45. I'm 53 now. This stuff is still relatively new to me. It is quite fascinating. I must admit I would have handled it a LOT differently back when I was younger.

• Members

Speak for yourself. If trying to make good music, rather than be a corporate shill cartoon, is "holier than thou" arrogance, so be it.

Some of us became musicians because, you know, we like to make music. Just because you're a poser, don't drag everyone else into your rationale for making music.

Folks on a star trip are a dime a dozen. They don't care about music, just "bein a big ole star and makin' a million bucks". If they're lucky, they might make it onto some garbage show like American Idol, where they sometimes have celebrity guest hosts, like, for example....

Gene Simmons.

You can have your pin-up pop stars. I'll keep listening to musicians.:thu:

• Members
Speak for yourself. If trying to make good music, rather than be a corporate shill cartoon, is "holier than thou" arrogance, so be it.

Some of us became musicians because, you know, we like to
make music.
Just because you're a poser, don't drag everyone else into your rationale for making music.

Folks on a star trip are a dime a dozen. They don't care about music, just "bein a big ole star and makin' a million bucks". If they're lucky, they might make it onto some garbage show like American Idol, where they sometimes have celebrity guest hosts, like, for example....

Gene Simmons.

You can have your pin-up pop stars. I'll keep listening to musicians.
:thu:

Heh, heh. So, what's your viewpoint on glam-metal?

Archived