What's The Song That You Want To Do

elbow

• Members

..... and your band just can't pull it off? :cry:

For example, you absolutely love a song and it requires a certain guitar part, rhythm/beat, or vocal harmony that is vital to the song.... and you or a band mate just can't do it.

We've had that happen to us a few times and it can be incredibly frustrating so we just end up shelfing it.

• Members

I've been pretty lucky with this band - so far I haven't wanted to do anything that we couldn't do. The only exception is if a song really needs a keyboard part, since we don't have a keyboard player... but we do know an absolutely awesome one that we can always hire if we really need it (mainly for recordings) so... it's all good.

• Members

For us it was Everyday People .... sly and the family stones

we had the harmony , we had the horns ,,, but it aways sounded too sing songy. We ditched it. Its about the only one i can remember we bit off that just didnt make it to the stage. rat

• Members

Most bands, and musicians, have their limitations. While a drummer might not feel that he can handle multiple drum parts like those in songs by the Allman Brothers, I couldn't play EVH or Yngwie Malmsteen stuff, so it's a wash.

As for the whole band "Life During Wartime" by The Talking Heads. While we theoretically could play it, we sucked on it and dropped it.

• Members

Too many to remember - we're always testing (and exceeding) our limits.

sometimes the only way to know is to try and listen to the playback.

Even if it's not great immediately I always vote to try and fix the problems if we can and try again.

Eventually I guess it becomes pretty clear which ones won't work; in fact we'll be discussing on wednesday dropping several of the tunes that just aren't working (mainly vocal-related).

YYZ (Rush) comes to mind - it's rare to find a working cover band with the talent and inclination to pull this off, especially on drums and bass.

• Members

I play for a band which is often contracted to and quite often has to play odd songs. Sometimes these are great songs but are difficult to replicate. Recently we had to do "God Bless The Broken Road" by Raskal Flats. Man, we buchered it. What a great tune...but we did it no justice. :cry: The arranging was the nail in the casket for us! We just couldn't come close.

• Members

We tried doing What It Takes from Aerosmith, and had to ditch it. Our vocalist has a fantastic range, but that one was beyond him. Steven Tyler is awesome.

I'd love to do that too. I always end up with singers with lower voices. There are other higher pitched songs that may be fun that we can't do. I wouldn't mind some Boston stuff for example. Fooled Around and Fell in Love by Elvin Bishop is another.

• Members

For us it's "Fooled Around and Fell in Love".

We briefly had a singer who could do it justice.

Another one - "Communication Breakdown" - and that includes most LZ stuff. We just can't sing in Robert Plant territory.

Another one that we could kill it instrumentally but just can't sing - "Radar Love".

• Members

For years I've wanted to play music besides American rock. So much challanging, mind-bending stuff out there- African, Central and South American- totally different rhythms, phrasings, everything. Would take intimidating amounts of study, and I never quite found kindered spirits to practice anything like that either.

These guys did it, and are doing really well:

Retro Cambodian pop covers! They scored big time when they found that singer.

• Members

"Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls...and we could actually pull it off musically but the vocals in the chorus are deceptively high ...and, while I have nothing against transposing any song within a reasonable range, its one of those songs that really would sound like ass in a lower key (mainly because the verse lines are so low)....My hat is off to you, J. Reznick and envy to all with higher vocal ranges.......

• Members

Bunch of Zeppelin I'd like to do, cause my bandmates rock on it - but there are only certain ones I can pull off vocally -

I also wanted to do "Straight On" by Heart but couldn't place it in any key that was good for my voice while also having any semblance of normalcy, instrumentally. I can sing "Magic Man", which would seem more difficult than "Straight On"... go figure. Although the arrangement was tough and we had to beat it half to death before we got it ...

• Members

Comfortably Numb.

When I can play that solo, I will be in heaven.

GaJ

We do it, I sing it (even though its supposed to be two guys doing each part), and its one of the songs that make me not my mind my switch from bass to keys... I really enjoy playing the keys on this song, particularly doing the string parts that my two hands are capable of doing ( the 5-3-2-1 arpeggios in the chorus, which I have a layered string/fantasy pad variant combo that I made on my D-70), plus I have the oboe and the french horn as a split patch on my EMax.... My guitarist loves playing it as well...and, although not very romantical, it goes over rather well, even in the middle of all of our hi-energy dance nonsense :thu:.... "Do Ya" by ELO is another one we do that is out of our usual dance paradigm that I like to sing and handling all the string parts on :thu:

Archived