How long are your 15 min. breaks?

caveman

• Members

We are prompt as we can be.

Jeff was being kind. I'm a pain in the ass at break time and start rounding up the and at 10 minutes to get tuned up. At the 15 minute mark I want to be ready to go.

If I could, I'd play for 3 hours straight.

• Members

Painfully prompt - especially if we're providing the break music via CD or Ipod. We've got a number of "break mixes" that are timed so that to stop at the end. Everybody's heard the mixes before - and knows the sequence of the last 3 tunes. When the last one stops - we start.

• Members

I try to be prompt. Sometimes when you are talking to the crowd or selling a cd, etc - it can go over - I always figure if we aren't losing customers out the door, and people are still being entertained - it's still ok - 17 or 18 minutes is pushing it - but if it goes 20 minutes, that's not cool

• Members

The first break is up to 25 minutes for the band I used to play with. The duet was half an hour--not by my choice. When I'm in charge of things, the breaks are never longer than 15 minutes, usually less. Sometimes that pisses off my fellow players.

• Members

Wow! Not one person yet has claimed to take 20+ minutes!
:rolleyes:

00493d0f.jpg

I do! Sometimes I start 30 minutes late, too. I'll have to admit that I play restaurants mainly and I've only been told once when to start and when to take breaks and for how long. I played that place once!

In all fairness, I also play later than agreed upon if it's not a hassle for the venue and the crowd is into it, and I sometimes play an hour and fifteen minute sets. I find that as long as I don't take advantage of the situation, it's pretty much up to me. I would have it no other way.

I'm surprised to see that I'm the only one doing it this way.

• Members

I do! Sometimes I start 30 minutes late, too. I'll have to admit that I play restaurants mainly and I've only been told once when to start and when to take breaks and for how long. I played that place once!

In all fairness, I also play later than agreed upon if it's not a hassle for the venue and the crowd is into it, and I sometimes play an hour and fifteen minute sets. I find that as long as I don't take advantage of the situation, it's pretty much up to me. I would have it no other way.

I'm surprised to see that I'm the only one doing it this way.

:thu: Just checking! It's so rare that I see a band take only 15 minutes at a time. We have done the start late, play late thing many times, also. I absolutely hate when a band says 'be back in 10 minutes,' then returns after half the crowd leaves 25 minutes later. Audiences know they're lying when they say it!

• Members

We have a 40 song set list - some times it goes to 41 or 42, but typically the minimum is 40.

with 15 minute breaks we play for over three hours. Typically we start at 9:30 - 50 minutes of music - 15 minute break - another 50 minutes of music - 15 minutes of break - then anther 50 minutes.

• Members

We usually play from 9:00 to 1:00 for bar gigs. I usually have to crack the whip to get the rest of guys back on stage on time. I seem to be the only one that watches the clock.

I have always felt that you are being payed to play to that schedule and if you don't do it you are risking not getting asked back.

Max

• Members

I hate breaks. If I want to sit around, I'll stay home where the chairs are a lot more comfortable. Sometimes we only take one break in a four hour night; other times two. I'm jonesing to play again after 15 minutes. I hate watching people get up and leave during a break.

• Members

We usually play from 9:00 to 1:00 for bar gigs. I usually have to crack the whip to get the rest of guys back on stage on time. I seem to be the only one that watches the clock.

I have always felt that you are being payed to play to that schedule and if you don't do it you are risking not getting asked back.

Max

What schedule exactly? I've always heard 45 minutes on/15 minutes off, but I've almost never had a bar owner tell me that. I'm not saying that they don't, it's just not my experience. I'm not cheating anybody, though, so it's more about coming up with my own schedule.

YMMV

• Members

I hate breaks. If I want to sit around, I'll stay home where the chairs are a lot more comfortable. Sometimes we only take one break in a four hour night; other times two. I'm jonesing to play again after 15 minutes. I hate watching people get up and leave during a break.

:thu:

I'm the same way. After I've gotten my head right and my vein drained, I'm back on stage with a quickness. My problem is, I might take 10 five minute breaks over the course of 3 hours. I've had bandmates say, "but we've only been on break for 6 minutes?" I've also had an audience member tell me, "you guys don't take enough breaks". I figured that guy was trying to be a dick, so I banged his girlfriend in the parking lot during my next break. That took about 20 minutes. :lol:

• Members

That would mean your 4th set is only 30 minutes long. Sounds more like an encore to me.

Now....4 - 45's with 20 between covers 4 hours on the nose. Using a 9:00 pm start time the schedule looks like this:

9:00 - 9:45

10:05 - 10:50

11:10 - 11:55

12:15 - 1:00

Archived