Wearing shorts at a gig??

doubleR

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Setup:

We're a classic rock cover band (in our 40's and 50's), and we're playing a block party this Saturday evening. We start playing at 6:30, and the temperature at the time is supposed to be in the low 80's. When I play a gig, I like to look professional and like "a musician," i.e. jeans, a nice shirt, and boots or solid shoes (no athletic shoes).

The Question:

With the weather being what it will be, obviously shorts would be more comfortable. I don't really feel like roasting. If we were, say a Jimmy Buffett cover band, I'd have no problem wearing shorts. However, wearing shorts while playing Beatles, Stones, CCR, Bad Co, Neil Young, etc just seems out of place. Obviously, what we are wearing won't change the sound, but image is part of the whole performance.

Thoughts????

I wear leather pants in stinky old bars and dives - I say if you can't sweat for your fans, well...then wear shorts.

• Members

I wear leather pants in stinky old bars and dives - I say if you can't sweat for your fans, well...then wear shorts.

Reminds me of the leather shorts the Bavarian dudes wear (lederhosen?). They never clean them, so I hear, ... and the grungier they get, the more "broken-in" they are deemed to be. :facepalm:

My kinda gear! :thu: (Where can I get a pair, Stateside? ... Don't want to have to go to Europe).

• Members

I think that's ridiculous. It's hot as hell right now, and I haven't worn long pants in a minute. I'm more comfortable in shorts, and I wear jean shorts all the time, especially at shows, whether I'm playing or just checking it out. Then again, it's the thrash metal/hardcore scene, where a "professional look" comes into play. But if you are wanting to be professional, jean or khaki would work, as long as you're not wearing athletic shorts.

• Members

I don't care how hot it gets, shorts look wrong on dudes and I won't wear them.

wow. i can barely even comprehend that outlook, especially living in the desert southwest, being a hiking/canoeing/biking/outdoor kind of guy...not to mention playing hot outdoor jams. eh, to each his own...

• Members

Reminds me of the leather shorts the Bavarian dudes wear (
lederhosen?
). They never clean them, so I hear, ... and the grungier they get, the more "broken-in" they are deemed to be.
:facepalm:

My kinda gear!
:thu:
(Where can I get a pair, Stateside? ... Don't want to have to go to Europe).

Man, they DO get nasty - when it's time to clean them, it's time for a new pair.

Admittedly, though I have worn shorts once or twice, but what I call shorts usually amounts to clamdiggers or man-pris.

Either way it's less about what you wear and more about how you wear it. If you can rock the shorts, then rock the shorts. :rawk:

• Members

I hope those dudes (Bavarians) wear some kinda undies ("Depends"?). You know -- comes a time when you might get "caught short" ( pun? ).
:facepalm::wave:

:badump:

Underpants just get in the way. Go commando! :thu:

• Members
The Setup:

We're a classic rock cover band (in our 40's and 50's), and we're playing a block party this Saturday evening. We start playing at 6:30, and the temperature at the time is supposed to be in the low 80's. When I play a gig, I like to look professional and like "a musician," i.e. jeans, a nice shirt, and boots or solid shoes (no athletic shoes).

The Question:

With the weather being what it will be, obviously shorts would be more comfortable. I don't really feel like roasting. If we were, say a Jimmy Buffett cover band, I'd have no problem wearing shorts. However, wearing shorts while playing Beatles, Stones, CCR, Bad Co, Neil Young, etc just seems out of place. Obviously, what we are wearing won't change the sound, but image is part of the whole performance.

Thoughts????

This post seems silly. We play classic rock/blues/southern/and 90's rock and I've never given it a second thought. I've seen old gigs of Skynyrd guys wearing shorts and Neil certainly has worn shorts on stage, especially during his 90's/grunge time. I'm really laughing about the "no athletic shoes" thing. How much rock music has been made by people wearing tennis shoes. hiking boots, etc. Tons of it.

• Moderators

This post seems silly. We play classic rock/blues/southern/and 90's rock and I've never given it a second thought. I've seen old gigs of Skynyrd guys wearing shorts and Neil certainly has worn shorts on stage, especially during his 90's/grunge time. I'm really laughing about the "no athletic shoes" thing. How much rock music has been made by people wearing tennis shoes. hiking boots, etc. Tons of it.

There's guys who care about how they dress and those who don't. I dont think badly of people who don't care, not do I think it makes me vain that I do care.

I would feel like a slob wearing white athletic shoes or shorts onstage. To each his/her own.

:idk:

• Members

There's guys who care about how they dress and those who don't. I dont think badly of people who don't care, not do I think it makes me vain that I
do
care.

I
would feel like a slob wearing white athletic shoes or shorts onstage. To each his/her own.

:idk:

White BB shoes are wimpy. Gotta be black. There's also the thought that some people wear athletic shorts and shoes onstage because they DO care how they look on stage as well.

• Moderators

White BB shoes are wimpy. Gotta be black. There's also the thought that some people wear athletic shorts and shoes onstage because they DO care how they look on stage as well.

If you're going for a certain metal/punk look, shorts can work, sure.

I just think they look lame onstage in most contexts.

Archived