Wearing shorts at a gig??

doubleR

• Members

He's not ready for prime time? It's about how good you sound, not what your wearing. It helps to look cool, but if you play really well, nobody cares. People who focus on your clothes are missing the point.

This sums up our entire band. We were in a band that tried to look cool with the hippest clothes and such. Making sure we had the trendy jeans and cool shirts and stuff, and it got in the way of the music. So when we reformed in our new version of the band we went the opposite route. We tried to think of the least cool image we could think of and came up with the shirt and tie look. Kind of a tech-repair/office worker look that somehow morphed a bit into an 80's thing with the skinny ties. And we never wear bright colors and focus mainly on black and white. We didn't want people focusing on us so much. The show is about the people there, the crowd. We want them to listen to the music and have a good time, not have a fashion show. Just my view on it.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I stand 6'2" and weigh a whopping 160--fully clothed--so covering my

milk-white, scrawny legs with long pants is probably a good way to go.

:D

This is really what it should come down to, for everybody. You should look good on stage--you ask people to look at you when you climb on stage, and you should be worth looking at. Almost everybody looks like a schlub in shorts.

There may be some situations where sweat-soaked khakis would look worse than shorts, but for the most part, a little class is the way to go.

• Members

Angus had a a whole look based around those shorts.

That's kinda different from showing up in cargo shorts, a Foo Fighters t-shirt, and white high-tops.

:p

For that matter, never wear any bands t-shirt - maybe shy away from logos all together.

• Members

The Setup:

We're a classic rock cover band (in our 40's and 50's), and we're playing a block party this Saturday evening. We start playing at 6:30, and the temperature at the time is supposed to be in the low 80's. When I play a gig, I like to look professional and like "a musician," i.e. jeans, a nice shirt, and boots or solid shoes (no athletic shoes).

The Question:

With the weather being what it will be, obviously shorts would be more comfortable. I don't really feel like roasting. If we were, say a Jimmy Buffett cover band, I'd have no problem wearing shorts. However, wearing shorts while playing Beatles, Stones, CCR, Bad Co, Neil Young, etc just seems out of place. Obviously, what we are wearing won't change the sound, but image is part of the whole performance.

Thoughts????

It depends who you are, what you are playing, and the circumstances. If it is outdoor, hot, and you are under 30 and playing punk or emo/indie - you might wear shorts as long as the shorts are hip - no khaki cargo shorts - but if your legs are stark white and you plan on wearing black shorts with black shoes and black socks, well, that looks lame. General rule of thumb is that unless its over 100 degrees and you playing in the desert just tough it out in your jeans - if your in jeans you can wear any pair of shoes and shirt and it will probably work - as long as you are not trying too hard to be cool you are good to go - if you start looking like rod stewart you've got problems.

• Members

For that matter, never wear any bands t-shirt - maybe shy away from logos all together.

Yup. It's totally cool to wear T-shirts without logos ... sorta "reverse hip". Just try to find them. Maybe "Hanes" T's from Wal-Mart (?).

Ever notice the urban / ghetto scene, just to check-out what everyone's wearing? I think everyone is on some kinda sports team, or T-shirts that look like their Grandmother's nightgown. Everyone. :rolleyes:

• Members

Damn cooter, I've always respected your opinion around here and thought you had a pretty good head on your shoulders.
:p

I think it also applies to what kind of music you play.

So, because I'm in a metal band, where shorts are widely accepted, (probably because most places we play have a non-working AC
:lol:
)

I'm a DORK?? I just really think that comment was wrong. I'm a decent playing, hard working musician. I am NOT a dork.
:mad:

Shorts aren't metal, IMO.

I don't care if Dime wore them.

Tattered jeans, or even better, leather pants are definitely metal.

Spandex is hair metal, and nobody wants to see that make a comeback.

• Members

pantera2.jpg

Aw man. Whys you gots to hates on the hairz?

• Members

cooterbrown, you are behind the times. so sad. :cry:

"shorts" are actually not really very short anymore, and they are very metal, and commonly industrial, and often seen in lots of other genres.

this is old news.

• Members

cooterbrown, you are behind the times. so sad.
:cry:

"shorts" are actually not really very short anymore, and they are very metal, and commonly industrial, and often seen in lots of other genres.

this is old news.

Gee whiz... thanks for catching me up, Junior. :rolleyes:

I used to watch Hank Rollins come out in nothing but knee-length cutoffs, at The Fleetwood or Barrington Hall, back in 1983. (no, I haven't always lived in Alabama...imagine that)

Doesn't mean it was ever a good stage look (except maybe for the above-mentioned SoCal hardcore scene)

The only bare legs I want to see are of the female variety, in the crowd.

So y'all cover up your pasty-white, hairy gams, already.

Nobody else really wants to see them, either.

• Members

We don't usually do the shorts thing but when it hits 90+ degress in the bars in summer time the no shorts rule goes out the window. We still expect everyone to wear nice shirt and there will be no tanks or wife beater shirts allowed.

If the place is air conditioned or is expected to be a higher class affair then shorts are out.

Really just use some common sense.

Max

• Members

Doesn't mean it was ever a good stage look (except maybe for the above-mentioned SoCal hardcore scene)

Nobody else really wants to see them, either.

Dime was such a loser.....why did Guitar World and Guitar Player ever put him on their covers? :rolleyes:

Let us know when they put you on the cover in the Long Pants Only issue.

Just because you have ugly legs....

• Moderators

wear what you're comfortable playing in...don't let vanity get in the way of making music too much

You don't think think rock music would be just a bit duller if back in the day Elton John had worn sweatpants and a spaghetti sauce-stained LA Lakers t-shirt?

• Members

I've played outdoor gigs in Charlotte, NC when it was 90+ degrees out and humid in jeans. I never wear shorts. I just don't like them. I feel like a kid wearing them, but I didn't even like wearing them when I was younger. Another thing you'll never see me in: sandals.

• Members

We don't usually do the shorts thing but when it hits 90+ degress in the bars in summer time the no shorts rule goes out the window. We still expect everyone to wear nice shirt and there will be no tanks or wife beater shirts allowed.

:poke:

Isn't that a picture of you wearing a tank top in your avatar?

• Members

I think you should wear what you are most comfortable in.

If you are playing rock music and people have issues with your shorts, show em your balls.

I'm not saying you shouldn't dress up a bit, but seriously its rock and roll to do whatever you want.

Forget what you "should" do, and do what you WANT!

dk

Archived