I'm so frickin irritated...

Kramerguy

• Members

For those of you who kept up on my thread last week about our aloof bass player...

We auditioned a singer this week. Young guy, 22 years old. He brought it, was energetic, put on one hell of a frontman show, nailed the vocals like I've never heard.. I mean this kid could have been a pro. He sand some stuff that would kill most vocalists, and all just mic into pa, no effects, cheater boxes, nothing but straight.

Our bass player... Well, he's evidently the competitive type, he started singing over the guy a little at first, then a LOT. I kept giving him the evil eye, I didn't want to have to verbally bitchslap the guy in front of someone auditioning... makes us look bad. Well, either way makes us look bad.

The bass player also was so busy being a mic whore and attention whore that his bass playing was so bad that he was screwing up me and the drummer, and the singer.

Needless to say, the singer never returned any of my calls or emails after that audition. I sent him one last email apologizing for the bass player's behavior and telling him that we're replacing the guy.. Still got no response.

I talked with the drummer, and he refuses to go into paid gigs without a bassist, so wants to wait until we finish out our next two shows (tomorrow, and the following saturday), and then take time off from gigs to find a new bassist, and unfortunately, a new singer. I couldn't possibly be more unmotivated or annoyed at the entire situation.

Sorry, not looking for advice.. If it were up to me, I'd toss the guy out today and just play out without him... just looking to vent :mad:

Thanks for listening

my band = :facepalm:

• Members

he finally just called me back. Figures lol.

And yes, he said that it was the bass player that put him off. He agreed to join us, on the promise that the bass player is fired in two weeks. I couldn't have been more eager to make that promise.

And no, he didn't demand it, I suggested it and he was much more willing to join us after I made the suggestion.

• Members

If the bass player was that full of himself to try to oversing the auditioning singer. I would think you should sit the bassist down, and ask him why he was being that way. I mean, does he secretly want to be the singer?

Also, I would think any seasoned musician would be able to look at the entire viewpoint rather than 1 sour apple. And he could easily have discussed this with the rest of the band, if he was interested. Maybe, like blue said, he may just have not been as interested as you thought? Keep trying to contact him. In the meantime, sit the bassist down and find out what his deal is.

• Members

And yes, he said that it was the bass player that put him off. He agreed to join us, on the promise that the bass player is fired in two weeks. I couldn't have been more eager to make that promise.

And no, he didn't demand it, I suggested it and he was much more willing to join us after I made the suggestion.

Good for you. Hope it works out. :thu:

• Members

If the bass player was that full of himself to try to oversing the auditioning singer. I would think you should sit the bassist down, and ask him why he was being that way. I mean, does he secretly want to be the singer?

Also, I would think any seasoned musician would be able to look at the entire viewpoint rather than 1 sour apple. And he could easily have discussed this with the rest of the band, if he was interested. Maybe, like blue said, he may just have not been as interested as you thought? Keep trying to contact him. In the meantime, sit the bassist down and find out what his deal is.

I referred to a post last week about him, he's had issues since day 1. We've tried every approach possible from sit-down friendly, to downright nasty. Nothing works, and the guy has a mountain of issues.

Not to relive the entire last post, but in a nutshell here are his flaws:

Refuses to practice at home.

Uses internet tab (the free {censored} that's never accurate) for some songs he refuses to really learn or practice, refuses to admit the tab is wrong and hits wrong notes, knowing that it pisses everyone off.

Forgets how to play many songs, relies on watching me on guitar and is always jumping to the wrong notes.

Constantly jumps on the mic and sings verses over top of the person singing the song.

Can't play at all and sing at the same time. I secretly wonder if he hogs the mic to take the attention off his playing...

At both practices and live gigs, he constantly yells things, sometimes inappropriate, into the mic inbetween songs, he also plays the main melody of every song before the song starts, giving away the song. He also has an ability to make a really high pitch screech like a bird, and does that into the mic alot too. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard, only add 100 decibels.

We've talked to him and talked to him, and it always ends up with the same results - he calms down for a very very short amount of time ,and by the next practice or gig, he's right back to where he was. Only every week, because he refuses to practice, his playing gets worse.

meh.. I really am annoyed and can bitch about the guy all day long. I just can't wait to be rid of him. Even the drummer who is the most patient guy in the world said he can't take the guy anymore.

• Members

Please document (in loving detail) all about the scene that will no doubt ensue when you fire this bonehead. I'm so looking forward to the "you'll be sorry - you'll ALL be sorry!" (runs off laughing maniacally rubbing hands together) scenario...

It'll totally make my day.

:thu:

• Members

Please document (in loving detail) all about the scene that will no doubt ensue when you fire this bonehead. I'm
so
looking forward to the "you'll be sorry - you'll
ALL
be sorry!" (runs off laughing maniacally rubbing hands together) scenario...

LOL, thanks Flem, I needed the laugh.

We expect it to be more like a 5-year old tantrum.

• Members

Good for you. Hope it works out.

thanks. We are really stoked about this singer. In 25 years, I've never seen a guy so wet behind the ears bring it like he did. In fact, I've never had a singer destroy an audition anywhere near the level that this guy did. Exciting times. It really only made me realize even more how badly we need to dump that bass player and find the missing link that would really bring out the best of everyone else.

• Members

Please document (in loving detail) all about the scene that will no doubt ensue when you fire this bonehead. I'm
so
looking forward to the "you'll be sorry - you'll
ALL
be sorry!" (runs off laughing maniacally rubbing hands together) scenario...

LMAO!! :lol::lol::lol::cop:

• Members

That's awesome. Remember in that other thread when we were trying to convince you to audition singers without the bass player? :lol:

Very cool that he saw through the situation enough to join you anyway. :thu:

• Members

I referred to a post last week about him, he's had issues since day 1. We've tried every approach possible from sit-down friendly, to downright nasty. Nothing works, and the guy has a mountain of issues.

Not to relive the entire last post, but in a nutshell here are his flaws:

Refuses to practice at home.

Uses internet tab (the free {censored} that's never accurate) for some songs he refuses to really learn or practice, refuses to admit the tab is wrong and hits wrong notes, knowing that it pisses everyone off.

Forgets how to play many songs, relies on watching me on guitar and is always jumping to the wrong notes.

Constantly jumps on the mic and sings verses over top of the person singing the song.

Can't play at all and sing at the same time. I secretly wonder if he hogs the mic to take the attention off his playing...

At both practices and live gigs, he constantly yells things, sometimes inappropriate, into the mic inbetween songs, he also plays the main melody of every song before the song starts, giving away the song. He also has an ability to make a really high pitch screech like a bird, and does that into the mic alot too. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard, only add 100 decibels.

We've talked to him and talked to him, and it always ends up with the same results - he calms down for a very very short amount of time ,and by the next practice or gig, he's right back to where he was. Only every week, because he refuses to practice, his playing gets worse.

meh.. I really am annoyed and can bitch about the guy all day long. I just can't wait to be rid of him. Even the drummer who is the most patient guy in the world said he can't take the guy anymore.

WoW your bassist is worse than the guitar player we just let go..

yeah.. boot that guy.

• Members

That's awesome. Remember in that other thread when we were trying to convince you to audition singers without the bass player?
:lol:

Very cool that he saw through the situation enough to join you anyway.

yeah Lee, I wanted to kick him so bad, but the drummer refused to go along with it, arguing that this guy is still better than nothing... I personally think he nearly blew the best opportunity we've seen as a band, and will undoubtedly screw us playing out tomorrow. I only hope he doesn't do too much damage with the final two gigs we have booked. Fortunately, we're playing both at the same place, on very common ground, that knows we can bring it, so our rep shouldn't get crapped on. I'm more worried about him putting off the new singer any further.

• Members

At both practices and live gigs, he constantly yells things, sometimes inappropriate, into the mic inbetween songs,

He also has an ability to make a really high pitch screech like a bird, and does that into the mic alot too. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard, only add 100 decibels.

My suggestion would be to take his mic away for the final two gigs!:cop:

Hell, he might just quit as a result of that and save you the trouble of firing him.:idea:

• Members

Good luck, Diatribe. I followed the previous thread and it's good to hear you landed a good vocalist...AND your drummer finally realized what a liability the bass player was. Definitely keep us posted on what happens. I've been through enough drama on a first-hand basis...I'd rather read about other people's problems! :freak:

• Members

Sounds good. I hate working with competitive musicians.

I'm the opposite. I like working with competitive musicians...who are competitive in their own realm. Everyone needs to understand their boundaries though and work from there. If the bassist is not the frontman, then he or she should work hard to cultivate and mold their role as a bass player.

• Members

Your bass player suffers from a form of Tourettes. He probably liked the singer, but gets nervous jitters around excitement, then the Tourettes acts up. Axe his diseased ass, pronto.

That's a pretty {censored}ed up post man.

One of my best friends has Tourette's, and he's a damn fine person and a damn fine drummer and he in no way acts like this. :cop:

"Axe his diseased ass" - well, you better hope that you don't have a son, brother or friend with a "disease" and have to watch him/her be treated like a piece of {censored} by assholes like you. :mad:

Archived