"Finding" Gigs

Gibson155

• Members

Hitting the bars is the way we do it. Get a good promo package together and knock on doors.

If you're an original band, hooking up with another band may work, or they may regard you as competition. Cover bands usually do the whole show themselves so that's probably not an option there.

• Members

I was walking down the street the other day and saw something on the sidewalk in the distance. I thought "is that"? As I got closer....sure enough it was a gig. I picked it up and I put it in my pocket for later. "Finding" Gigs.........................................keep your eye on the sidewalk.

• Members

Our smartest move was to hire my singer's girlfriend to be our promoter. She's a phone-call making machine when it comes to booking, and has a very strong business-sense that all of us sorely lack.

Typically my singer and I will drop off a demo CD containing an edited series of clips we've recorded live in our rehearsal room...each clip is about thirty seconds long, so we put six of them together to make a two minute sampler of our material. We try to keep the mix as "live" as possible so the bar owners know what we're going to sound like without any studio tricks to prop up the sound. When we drop it off, we try to get the name of the person who actually does the booking (who is never around when we show up). Then we have our "promoter" call back after a little bit of time has passed and ask to speak to the booking contact. She always gets brushed off because the person doing the booking is "busy" or not there...she just gets a time to call back and promptly does so at the first opportunity. She keeps calling until she talks to the actual booking person at the bar, at which point she either books the gig or is told they aren't booking until a certain future date. She then makes a note to call back then. So far we've never been outright rejected, and most of the time this persistence has resulted in a booked gig.

You'd be amazed at how disorganized the people who do bar-booking can be. They might like your music, but if you don't call them back at the right time you won't get booked. They're busy, and booking bands is not their primary goal in life. They just need to be reminded you're there. Obviously if they tell you they don't want to book you, then you should leave them alone until you get a new demo together.

So, persistence and making lots (and lots) of phone calls to the right people at the right time seemed to be the key for us. Don't piss people off...don't burn any bridges. If you get turned down, thank them for their time and move on.

• Members

Our smartest move was to hire my singer's girlfriend to be our promoter. She's a phone-call making machine when it comes to booking, and has a very strong business-sense that all of us sorely lack.

Typically my singer and I will drop off a demo CD containing an edited series of clips we've recorded live in our rehearsal room...each clip is about thirty seconds long, so we put six of them together to make a two minute sampler of our material. We try to keep the mix as "live" as possible so the bar owners know what we're going to sound like without any studio tricks to prop up the sound. When we drop it off, we try to get the name of the person who actually does the booking (who is never around when we show up). Then we have our "promoter" call back after a little bit of time has passed and ask to speak to the booking contact. She always gets brushed off because the person doing the booking is "busy" or not there...she just gets a time to call back and promptly does so at the first opportunity. She keeps calling until she talks to the actual booking person at the bar, at which point she either books the gig or is told they aren't booking until a certain future date. She then makes a note to call back then. So far we've never been outright rejected, and most of the time this persistence has resulted in a booked gig.

You'd be amazed at how disorganized the people who do bar-booking can be. They might like your music, but if you don't call them back at the right time you won't get booked. They're busy, and booking bands is not their primary goal in life. They just need to be reminded you're there. Obviously if they tell you they don't want to book you, then you should leave them alone until you get a new demo together.

So, persistence and making lots (and lots) of phone calls to the right people at the right time seemed to be the key for us. Don't piss people off...don't burn any bridges. If you get turned down, thank them for their time and move on.

Yes, this is the true story! More than anything else I absolutely hate trying to acquire gigs, it is such a hassle.

I would prefer to hire a booking agent but that doesn't really seem to exist around here anymore.

• Members

I'm curious: Since you phrased it as having hired her, what's her take? that is, what's her compensation for time spent?

• Members

I'm curious: Since you phrased it as having hired her, what's her take? that is, what's her compensation for time spent?

My singer (ie, the boyfriend) exchanged his skills as a video editor to produce a commercial spot for her organizing business while she booked the gigs. She wasn't interested in a percentage fee, but liked the idea of trading services. Like I said, she's damn good at it, and I wish she'd let herself be hired in as a permanent booking agent for us. Unfortunately, she has one of those rules about getting too involved in her boyfriend's side-businesses. Probably a wise move on her part, but I really really really really hate making phone calls to bar owners. :mad:

She has taught me one thing, though...professional, polite persistence is the key to booking gigs. You just have to realize that most bars have some dude doing the booking who probably doesn't care much for the task, has a lot of other things to do, and has been screwed over by flaky, idiot bands more than once. The trick is calling when they're around and have their datebook in front of them.

• Members

I've never done it -- but we are planning on breaking from our current band and starting a new project so I may start.

I've got an 8 track digital recorder, so my plan is to have is record 4-5 songs as a demo and use that in hopes of acquiring gigs. I know there are a few boooking agents around here, but they don't book at any of the places I want to play. We're going to pick 6-8 places in the area to focus on playing once or twice a month. I may suggest that we call the booking agents, tell them where we want to play, and see if they can help at all.

• Members

The funny thing is, you could have the greatest band in the world, but if your demo does not get put into the right hands at a bar, you get lost in the mix. We have a local bar here that we wanted to play. I stopped in with our promo pack and asked to speak to the person who does the booking who was, of coarse, not there. The guy I talked to was here brother-in-law and part owner. He assured me that she would get it. I left it with him. After a couple of weeks, we still had not heard anything so we went there one night after band practice. The lady was there who did the booking. She said she didn't get it. We talked for a little while and she went into the guys office to look for it. Sure enough it was on his desk under some other paperwork. She listened to the demo the next week and called us to fill a couple of dates.

Don't just drop and leave. Call back. And keep calling back every couple of weeks (don't seem to pushy) until you get booked or turned down.

• Members

At 15, parties were the main gigs to get. The occasional talent show at school etc. The bar scene is probably a little bit in the future for you.

Work on your song-writing and performance skills (Both important and completely different from each other.)

Try to find some older, experienced local musicians to help you get started. Music is a tricky business and there are many ways to be taken advantage of!

Listen to those who have been there, and good luck!

• Members

Other than bars, what are good places to play? Im asking because I might have trouble getting bars to let me play as I'm 15.

Ouch, that kind of changes everything.

Try putting up ads on the bulletin boards at the local colleges to play parties - you may have to do some for free, or for very little $$. Also go to www.openmics.org and look for coffee houses, diners, bistro's, etc.. and perform + network with other musicians at those.

Mostly, like others said, use the time to hone your skills. You will find that life after 18 becomes a lot busier and your music time allotment will diminish. It's better to have solid skills than gigs when you hit 18.

• Members

Other than bars, what are good places to play? Im asking because I might have trouble getting bars to let me play as I'm 15.

Well, your age certainly limits you at this point. Private parties are probably your only potential source of paying gigs, and that's iffy. The only people who will likely hire such a young band would be people too young to afford much of a fee.

Coffee-shops and other local open-mic events are good places to get some playing time in, but they don't pay.

• Members

I had bandmates that played bars and clubs when they were 13-14 but it was on a reservation and the owners were more willing to turn a blind eye to that sort of thing. It's more laid-back here in the Great Plains, so it would probably be more difficult overall to do that in other cities and states. I only started playing in bars when I was 18 (same with my bassist) and the drummer we're playing with now is 19, but looks about 12, so he gets harassed a lot (don't hang by the blackjack tables, stay away from the bar area, etc.).

School dances are a good way to go. Local businesses might be throwing some events and want to include music as entertainment. Check around town to see if you can find bands similar to yours and see what kind of gigs they're getting (and ask them how they're getting them).

• Members
Ouch, that kind of changes everything.

Try putting up ads on the bulletin boards at the local colleges to play parties - you may have to do some for free, or for very little $$. Also go to
www.openmics.org
and look for coffee houses, diners, bistro's, etc.. and perform + network with other musicians at those.

Mostly, like others said, use the time to hone your skills. You will find that life after 18 becomes a lot busier and your music time allotment will diminish. It's better to have solid skills than gigs when you hit 18.

Good advice. Its pretty much impossible to get a bar gig when you're under 18 as its illegal for the bar to even let you into the doors after 9pm(at least it is in Texas). You will most likely be able to approach non-bar establishments. Try a restaurant with an outdoor patio. Also, you'll need to rent a PA as none of those places will actually own one.

• Members

Good advice. Its pretty much impossible to get a bar gig when you're under 18 as its illegal for the bar to even let you into the doors after 9pm(at least it is in Texas). You will most likely be able to approach non-bar establishments. Try a restaurant with an outdoor patio. Also, you'll need to rent a PA as none of those places will actually own one.

Advice, though, check with your local laws. There are states that will allow you to perform and/or be in bars after a certain time after a certain age.

And well, like someone else said, sometimes bars are less strict than others.

• Members

Advice, though, check with your local laws. There are states that will allow you to perform and/or be in bars after a certain time after a certain age.

And well, like someone else said, sometimes bars are less strict than others.

My drummer and bassist are 18 but most people would say I look much older than them. How should I ask if a bar will be lenient about laws? Wisconsin state law says anyone under 18 can enter a bar with their parents and be served alcohol. If my parents are there, I should be allowed to perform right?

Archived