how would you do this?

Kramerguy

• Members

On mexi-strats: thanks but no thanks.

Sorry, but I bought one new in the 90's and it was probably the worst guitar I've ever owned. I tried to give them a chance since then, played many off the store walls, at friends houses, etc.. They all seem to suffer from the same poor construction and materials.

I feel that way about my American strat. What a piece of junk.

With the $900 I spent on that guitar, I could have bought a used Mexican for about $250. Then I could take the difference and put a custom neck on there and some hot pickups. That's what I would do if I could do it all over again.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just throwing another idea out there:

Blues Jr.

I saw one on craigslist today for $250. I LOVE these amps. Tube, 15 watts and simple. Not to mention they are a lot louder than you think they are. I would have no problem playing a 100 person show with one just sitting onstage tilted back.

SO: you can do a Japanese Strat for $400-$450+a blues JR. for $250 and used ME50 for $180-200. You have a bad ass rig for $750-$800 and any of those components if resold could fetch within 10% of what you paid for them.

• Members

Why not sell everything you don't use, see how much you get from that and make the best decision you can with that?

+1

No offense, but all of the equipment you mentioned that you currently own is what I would consider beginner stuff. Get rid of ALL of it, including the Valvestate Marshall. Get a nice TUBE Fender amp and a Strat or Tele (whichever you prefer) and maybe an overdrive or boost pedal (I like Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive). A delay pedal and a chorus pedal would be next. Your sound will immediately improve 200% or more.

• Members

just throwing another idea out there:

Blues Jr.

I saw one on craigslist today for $250. I LOVE these amps. Tube, 15 watts and simple. Not to mention they are a lot louder than you think they are. I would have no problem playing a 100 person show with one just sitting onstage tilted back.

SO: you can do a Japanese Strat for $400-$450+a blues JR. for $250 and used ME50 for $180-200. You have a bad ass rig for $750-$800 and any of those components if resold could fetch within 10% of what you paid for them.

+1000

The blues jr. is a great little amp. It has more headroom than you'd expect from 15 watts. But it seems to break up at just the right volume for small clubs. I'm thinking about getting one of these as well. My Vibrolux is great, but still has a bit too much headroom. Another option I'm considering is some dirtier tubes in the Lux.

Also, those Jap strats are NICE!!! Fit and finish is better than the American standards for less money. I'd still get the Mexican and put a Gibson-like neck on it though for the same money.

• Members

Why not sell everything you don't use, see how much you get from that and make the best decision you can with that?

A lot of my gear is worth far less than what I paid for it, just not willing to let stuff go I guess. I did try to sell my Kramer a while back, and a blues driver pedal, and got no fair offers. Since I didn't need to sell them, I just stopped trying.

• Members

+1000

The blues jr. is a great little amp. It has more headroom than you'd expect from 15 watts. But it seems to break up at just the right volume for small clubs. I'm thinking about getting one of these as well. My Vibrolux is great, but still has a bit too much headroom. Another option I'm considering is some dirtier tubes in the Lux.

Also, those Jap strats are NICE!!! Fit and finish is better than the American standards for less money. I'd still get the Mexican and put a Gibson-like neck on it though for the same money.

I've heard that the amero strats are pretty much mexi strats these days, I wouldn't waste my money. I'm focusing on a pre 90's MIA or MIJ only.

That blues jr sounds like a great idea. I will keep a lookout for one.

Saw a princeton 100w 2x12 for $230 locally on CL, but it's not a tube :(

• Members

A lot of my gear is worth far less than what I paid for it, just not willing to let stuff go I guess. I did try to sell my Kramer a while back, and a blues driver pedal, and got no fair offers. Since I didn't need to sell them, I just stopped trying.

Didn't you just say you have no money? And you don't like your current gear, I can't possibly see why you wouldn't part with it. Of course it's worth less now, all gear is worth far less after you've used it for a while. No one is going to just give you money to buy all your dream gear. You have to make sacrifices if you want to make this huge purchase of gear.

If you're unwilling to do this, then don't complain that you can't afford new gear. Not trying to be harsh, but come on man, everyone here wants new gear.

• Members

Didn't you just say you have no money? And you don't like your current gear, I can't possibly see why you wouldn't part with it. Of course it's worth less now, all gear is worth far less after you've used it for a while. No one is going to just give you money to buy all your dream gear. You have to make sacrifices if you want to make this huge purchase of gear.

If you're unwilling to do this, then don't complain that you can't afford new gear. Not trying to be harsh, but come on man, everyone here wants new gear.

you are right, my Kramer is probably the only valuable item I own, and sorry, ain't partin with that simply because it's vintage, american, and I can't get anywhere near what it (was, and will be) worth in today's market. I guess I'm just a packrat lol. I will probably find a happy medium and get rid of some stuff. I just listed teh stuff I use lol, I have tons more I don't. Just as crappy though. I guess I will start selling on CL and muster up some extra scratch.

• Members

Here is the link to the one in Austin. If the guy is skeptical because you are out of state just link him to this thread. I'll vouch for you or whatever the guy needs to make sure you aren't scamming him.

That's awesome. Any reason you would or would not recommend the peavey heritage? It seems like a good price also

• Members

I've heard that the amero strats are pretty much mexi strats these days, I wouldn't waste my money. I'm focusing on a pre 90's MIA or MIJ only.

That blues jr sounds like a great idea. I will keep a lookout for one.

Saw a princeton 100w 2x12 for $230 locally on CL, but it's not a tube
:(

I think you should probably look beyond just Fenders. Two of my main guitars are american made G&L Teles from the 90s. I bought both used off of ebay for $500-$600 each few years ago. They are very high quality guitars. It's a little bit harder to shop for them on ebay now because you have to worry about people who are taking the korean made ones, making some cosmetic changes, and selling them as US ones.

If you do some research, you can find companies like G&L that make strat style guitars that may be a better value than Fenders.

• Members

Nothing could be further from the truth over here at my house except for my keyboard and some of the other electronic gear.

True, it was a blanket statement, but most gear does depreciates. Only a rare few pieces actually appreciate over time. 99.9% of gear produced eventually goes down in value.

• Members

you are right, my Kramer is probably the only valuable item I own, and sorry, ain't partin with that simply because it's vintage, american, and I can't get anywhere near what it (was, and will be) worth in today's market. I guess I'm just a packrat lol. I will probably find a happy medium and get rid of some stuff. I just listed teh stuff I use lol, I have tons more I don't. Just as crappy though. I guess I will start selling on CL and muster up some extra scratch.

Yeah, don't sell it if you feel an attachment to it, but anything you don't care for should be thrown up on CL to start some capitol. I tend to be a pack rat with gear too, I know the feeling. But I did have some random junk I didn't ever touch and recently got rid of it to buy some new gear and haven't regretted it once.

• Members

True, it was a blanket statement, but most gear does depreciates. Only a rare few pieces actually appreciate over time. 99.9% of gear produced eventually goes down in value.

NEW gear depreciates immediately and then begins to slowly appreciate from the new to used level if it is a well branded instrument. For example: a new American strat will cost $1300 at guitar center. If you put it on craigslist a month later and it has a couple of tiny scratches you'll get $800. However, 4 years from now when new strats cost $1600 you will probably be able to get $900 for it. In addition, a 1970s Les Paul will probably run you $2400-$3000 in good-ish condition. Five years from now it will probably fetch 10%-20% more than you paid for it.

some brands, Fender, Gibson, PRS, Taylor, Martin, G&L (to a lesser degree), tend to REALLY hold their value if you have an upper level or premium guitar. In other words, a Les Paul Studio will appreciate at a slower level than a custom. That is the reason that most of the gear I buy now is from one of those manufacturers. I bought my Gibson Blueshawk for $750. I can put it on craigslist tomorrow and get that or maybe more. Likewise with my '72 SG and the Japanese Strat I bought and sold (and actually made money after 2 years).

• Members

And just to make the other side of that argument - CHEAP gear has no value. I have a crate bass amp I bought when I was in college for $200. They are now tagged at $275 and probably STILL sell for $200. I see them on craigslist all the time for $50 and they just sit there. Likewise with Mexican Strats, ESP LTDs, Kustom Amps and Behringer mixers. And just so we are clear, I have a lot of that stuff. I own a Behringer mixer that I bought for $300. No way I could get $100 for it today. Likewise with any cheap piece of gear I have ever owned.

That lesson cost me a fair amount of money so I hope some of you might learn from it for free. If you buy cheap gear do so with the sentiment that it is 'disposable' per se. You're better off saving up and buying one nicer used guitar than 3 new cheap ones. Hell... I wish someone would have told me this before I bought my Kramer Focus, my Ovation Celebrity and my Korean Parker (which... I actually love... but can't get any money for).

• Members

NEW gear depreciates immediately and then begins to slowly appreciate from the new to used level if it is a well branded instrument. For example: a new American strat will cost $1300 at guitar center. If you put it on craigslist a month later and it has a couple of tiny scratches you'll get $800. However, 4 years from now when new strats cost $1600 you will probably be able to get $900 for it. In addition, a 1970s Les Paul will probably run you $2400-$3000 in good-ish condition. Five years from now it will probably fetch 10%-20% more than you paid for it.

some brands, Fender, Gibson, PRS, Taylor, Martin, G&L (to a lesser degree), tend to REALLY hold their value if you have an upper level or premium guitar. In other words, a Les Paul Studio will appreciate at a slower level than a custom. That is the reason that most of the gear I buy now is from one of those manufacturers. I bought my Gibson Blueshawk for $750. I can put it on craigslist tomorrow and get that or maybe more. Likewise with my '72 SG and the Japanese Strat I bought and sold (and actually made money after 2 years).

Exactly, but all of those pieces you mention don't account for even 0.1% of all gear produced. I'm saying most little things you buy here and there will never be worth anything. Stomp boxes, effects, random crap guitars and amps, they all make up most of what is produced. And everyone has SOMETHING like that. It's just going to keep losing value, and if you don't ever touch it, you might as well sell it if you're looking to buy something new.

• Members

I have a couple of other guitars as well, but one (my kramer) is totally 80's glam and FF pink, just WAY too 80's for the venues and genre of this project (but the perfect guitar for me, tone and feel, etc.. lol),

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know... If you like that guitar, and the only reason you don't use it is because it's FF pink, I'd re-finish that thing in a heart beat. But... I'm the guy who gigs on a 1952 Tele I bought in the 60's, then in the 70's had a middle pick-up installed, and a humbucker at the neck. So... collector value?? I'll never sell that guitar anyway.

If your solid state fender combo has enough head room... you might consider: I have an old Mesa Boogie V-twin some where in my storage I used to use at one point. I don't know if you can still pick up one of those reasonable or not,(may be considered Vintage these days) but it was just a tube preamp. (foot pedal) It would fatten up your solid state, then when you got your new amp, you could still use it like an extra channel on you new amp. (when you get it) I used mine direct to the board once when my amp was in the shop for repairs, sounded good. The reason I have it is, I use it with an old Bassman amp I have. Both have been in storage for years. (can't part with them) Could cost more than a new amp these days, I'm not sure. Worth looking at though. or something along that line. I think they also make something smaller called a Bottle Rocket, and some sort of studio preamp thing. All in pedal formats. Never tried the others. I know there's a few similar things new on the market made by others. I think a new amp would be cool, I'm just trying to give you another option, to get you by for now.

As far as tube screamers go. I have a Voodoo Lad Sparkle Drive, I use these days. Its a ts808 clone, has a clean knob on it that the others don't have, that makes it way more versatile. I had mine modded by Keely, and that thing rules. I can get everything out of it from Clean Rock-a-billy punch, to heavy screaming distortion.

• Members

I have an Idea:

why don't you buy a good, GOOD, tube amp, and a nice condenser microphone....

:confused:

a great guitar + a crappy amp = CRAP

alright guitar + a great amp = Good

great guitar + a great amp = awesome

now, you do not have enough money, ok?

just buy a good decent Tube amp, and mic it with a nice condenser or dynamic, depends on your taste.... run your effects thru the effects loop and never direct from the guitar... buy a good cable... and I test your tone...

believe me, you will be surprised!

IMHO

Omar :thu:

• Members

I have an Idea:

why don't you buy a good, GOOD, tube amp, and a nice condenser microphone....

:confused:

a great guitar + a crappy amp = CRAP

alright guitar + a great amp = Good

great guitar + a great amp = awesome

now, you do not have enough money, ok?

just buy a good decent Tube amp, and mic it with a nice condenser or dynamic, depends on your taste.... run your effects thru the effects loop and never direct from the guitar... buy a good cable... and I test your tone...

believe me, you will be surprised!

IMHO

Omar
:thu:

I use a SM57, don't know much about mics other than everyone seemed to say that was a standard in mic'ing amps :idk:

Agreed on tone. Working on solutions :)

• Members

As far as tube screamers go. I have a Voodoo Lad Sparkle Drive, I use these days. Its a ts808 clone, has a clean knob on it that the others don't have, that makes it way more versatile. I had mine modded by Keely, and that thing rules. I can get everything out of it from Clean Rock-a-billy punch, to heavy screaming distortion.

Yeah the ts808's I'm not familiar with, but I have played with the sparkle drive, and I would have to say, I don't think it was the pedal for me, but I also never heard it through tubes, so I'm going to try out both and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions

Archived