How important is it for the "front man" to be entertaining?

tinker925

• Members

EXTREMELY important. I would wager that it's better to be a good entertainer/frontman than it is to be a great awesome fantastic singer.

We get comments all the time about our singer not looking like he's into it and not really moving around and commanding attention.

This is all in my experience. Obviously YMMV.

• Members

It depends entirely on the frontman in question. Some people just seem to be naturals at engaging the crowd, and some people have to work at it. I'm in the latter group. The key for me is to not LOOK like I'm working at it.

As far as feeling the notes goes, yeah, the singer needs to be in the zone. If you're just going through the motions, people will know.

• Members

Somebody has to be a solid front person. If it happens to be the lead singer - all the better. However, the first rule is there ain't no rules. I've seen bands in which the front person was somebody other than the lead singer - and it worked fine. Especially since the lead singer was a great vocalist. Bands fronted by a singer who simply stands there while delivering a meh vocal performance aren't going anywhere.

Personally - I enjoy groups who have multiple strong vocalists ... and lots of harmony. (this came up in another thread yesterday...). All the better if the group is able to share the "fronting" responsibilities between everybody in the group - such that the audience gets to see a little of everybody's personality.

• Members

Isn't that kind of like asking "how important is it to be good at your instrument?" The frontman's job is to entertain and sing. Both important. That's the job description, not some hippy touchy-feely mentality of "yeah, but he..."

No buts. Be good at both or find a new one!

• Members

The other way around IME.

This is what I have found as well. I've seen so many original bands that I really wanted to like, but the front person had the presence of a slug. One in particular--they had a female vocalist, good voice, easy on the eyes--but when she wasn't singing (e.g. during a guitar solo), she stood in one place and looked at the floor until it was time for her to sing again. :facepalm:

If you're going to be a front person in a cover band, you'd better be able to engage the crowd. You can have an average voice, that's OK...but only if you can balance it out with being entertaining and a focal point for the crowd.

By the same token, if you're a phenomenal vocalist, that doesn't mean it's all right for you to mope around onstage scowling!

I've found that it's tough to find somebody who can pull off the voice, the entertainment aspect, AND be a reasonable person to deal with (talking BOTH genders here). That's why I've always tried to put together bands where everybody sings lead and backup. Lots of variety in the singing and one less person to split the money with. It's a win-win-win!

• Members

The reason I asked this question is that I read a post somewhere here that its better to have a "front man" - lead singer who also plays bass or guitar. It was followed up by something like "if your in a Cover Band no one cares about the energy/emotion of the song delivery"... something to that affect.

I have seen amazing sounding bands where the lead singer played bass and basically HID behind the thing.... I kept telling this person get out from behind that bass and engage your audience! Even though they had AMAZING talent they went no where.

• Members

The frontman is pretty much the captain of the live ship. You want that person to be able to entertain. They are what the audience most associates with - that person puts the melody in their ears. If other band members are able to command some attention with their prescence, all the better.

And I dont how what type of band matters here... cover, original, alien goat-sex tribute from neptune... who cares. You still want an engaging talent at the center mic.

• Members

they had a female vocalist, good voice, easy on the eyes--but when she wasn't singing (e.g. during a guitar solo), she stood in one place and looked at the floor until it was time for her to sing again.
:facepalm:

wow! I worked with a woman just like this! Well, almost like this... she wasn't a "great" singer just OK.

She would stand in one place alot when she wasn't singing, sometimes with her back to crowd.

I would have to remind her to turn around, and when she would turn to face the crowd, she would sometimes dance a little bit but she would dance like Elaine from Seinfeld! uggh...

• Members

It was followed up by something like "if your in a Cover Band no one cares about the energy/emotion of the song delivery"... something to that affect.

Odds are pretty strong that came from someone who slams coverbands constantly - don't pay any attention to them...

- georgestrings

• Members

OK,

How important is it that they 'feel" their notes?

You've been in the audience - what do you think works?

What do others in that audience seem to think?

Have you ever seen an over-emotional singer?

It can be uncomfortable to watch if they seem like they're trying too hard to "feel it".

Again - what do you think works for your situation?

Personally, I'd rather see a band where the frontman stands there comfortably than a band where the frontman is jumping around like a monkey and generally trying way too hard.

Your mileage may vary.

• Members

I have seen an over-emotional singer. it's horrible... but funny.

Totally agree - there is a fine line between really "feeling" the music and just looking retarded.

My wife and I went to watch a Jazz band and their "frontman" was a sax player - and the goofy facial expressions and body contortions that he did when he played completely overshadowed how good they were musically and turned into a comedy.

• Members

Interesting question, as I have been wondering something along this line as well. It seems to me that any idiot can jump around with energy (I know, I have not only seen this, but participated in it) Not that there is anything wrong with it, however, not everyone can sing their ass off. Given the choice (although an emotive yet non-moving performance can be hugely entertaining) I'd go with singing yer ass off. Talent always come through no matter how many lights are shining on your face. And for those that don't sound fantastic OR move around, well, ever consider bowling?

• Members

I think ppl are confusing "being an entertaining and engaging frontman" with just randomly jumping around and acting like an idiot on cocaine.

ANYONE can jump around and act like a lunatic - but (for coverbands at least) it's preferable to command the audiences attention and generally act like you are having a good time and getting into the music you are playing. Being pitch perfect is fantastic.....but people will usually enjoy the show more if you are captivating there interest rather than if you are hitting every note.

Dont get me wrong...you still have to sing well - it's just less important IME.

Archived