New to gigging? Guitarist essentials here

Kramerguy

• Members

I think a pro should have some sort of back-up plan for any equipment failure. Even if you don't carry a second amp, know what you're going to do if your amp quits. All good suggestions above regarding rig issues.

One major missing item: One of those handheld electrical outlet testers (so you won't have to use your backup amp so often)

I would add some personal items:

nail clippers/scissors

nail file

new skin/liquid skin

a couple of bandaids

Imodium (I've had some very grateful bandmates who needed this)

Tylenol/Advil (whatever you like for a headache)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One crucial piece for noob giggers...SIMPLIFY THE PEDALBOARD...the areas where you will have the most problems is with huge complicated chains...

dont bother with effect loops, just use a multi-effect unit...

I'd rather have zero fx than a multi-unit.

That's just me, though.

I don't like complicated chains of stompers, either.

• Members

I have a backpack full of {censored} that I call the contingency plan.

There is pretty much anything and everything that I think I could need at a gig. It has saved many a band mates ass.

I usually have my gear sorted out ahead of time, but you never know when the bassist needs a 9 volt for his active bass, or the singer forgets to bring a mic, or the drummer needs a drum key, etc.

I was a cub scout once, so this could have something to do with it...

dk

• Members

used for 30 bucks, I bought a crate powerblock. Take it to every gig ('cept road stuff). It has saved my ass COUNTLESS times when a tubes die, or a transformer blew (!!!!), or whatever. Easier and cheaper and more effective than bringing an extra amp.

Now that you mention it, I've had a keyboard player save a guitar players ass because he had one of those in his bag. I've seen the same thing happen with someone using an Orange Tiny Terror also.

• Members

A pencil and a rubber band will work when you forget your capo- I've done it and it works in a pinch. I rarely take two guitars to a gig. But I use nylon strings and they almost never break. I never have taken two amps. For steel strings a wire cutter is good, but a string winder is not needed for steel strings IMO. You can put the string in the hole in the neck end, then wrap it around several times and hook it over just as you run out of slack. Faster than a string winder. I saw BB King do it onstage and and went "wow" He was up and running in less than a minute and kept singing/talking while he was doing it. I agree with the 9 volts, tape, etc.

Or...you could just transpose the song on the fly:thu: I've had to do that a few times because I was always misplacing my damn capo.

• Members

i know for each person it's a different situation. but my most important piece of equipment is a CHECKLIST. i sit down and inventory everything and label it. cables, spare tubes, extension cords, strings (especially if you use different sets on different guitars).

before i load the truck - i PRINT the checklist (Excel spreadsheet), then i check off everything i put in the gigbag/speaker cabinet/guitar case(s). i then PRINT another one - put it in my gig bag.

i inventory everything as i pack up. if you EVER leave something at a gig 60 miles away from home in a wild place (like the French Quarter) - it's gone. never see it again. i hate that. never happened to me after i saw it happen to someone else.

and the personal items list, besides some medical items mentioned earlier, should include some CONDOMS. no use needing medical attention 3 days later beause u couldn;t resist a roll in the hay with a drunk lady. not that I ever do that. nope.

• Members

used for 30 bucks, I bought a crate powerblock. Take it to every gig ('cept road stuff). It has saved my ass COUNTLESS times when a tubes die, or a transformer blew (!!!!), or whatever. Easier and cheaper and more effective than bringing an extra amp.

In 35 years of playing I've never had a tube die or a transformer blow. What's going on with your amps that you can't even count the number of times it's happened to you?

• Members

dont bother with effect loops, just use a multi-effect unit or a few pedals in front of the amp...

I disagree with this point. Using the effects loop has the benefit of putting less pedals IN FRONT of the amp, which means that if you have a problem coming from the front-of-amp pedals, troubleshooting should be shorter/easier/bypassable.

And if there's a problem with the pedals in the loop, there will still be sound coming from the amp, so you'll still be able to rock (so what if you don't have your fancy delay until the end of the set!).

And multieffects... :facepalm:

• Members

Tips for people new to gigging:

1) Arrive early: There should be enough time to load in, set up, sound-check, solve at least one technical problem, warm up, and have at least 15 minutes to spare before starting the performance. Ideally, there should be enough time to change a flat tire on the way to the gig.

2) If there are audience members in the venue after sound-check, don

• Members

develop a system for loading / unloading and tear-down. Have specific places for all your gear, so that if there's a hole, something's missing, and you know exactly what it is.

"I know I'm missing a cable because it should be right there..." - that has saved me many times from leaving something behind after drinking and playing until 2 am.

Know your rig... I know I'd be able to use a couple pedals and a direct box as a backup, so I don't need another amp. I carry 2 guitars (more for different tones), but have only broken a string onstage once in hundreds of gigs. So I don't carry spare strings. If you've got a workable backup amp solution, you also don't need tubes and fuses...

• Members

Tips for people new to gigging:

3) Tuning: Tune you instrument before sound-check. Tune it again before the performance. Tune it again during your break. Tune it again while Joe is taking his drum solo. If you notice during your set that your guitar is still out of tune, tune it at the end of the next song. If your guitar has tuning problems, take it to a reputable tech and find out why. A guitar that won

• Members

Well, when I go on tour, I bring:

2 JCM 800 2203 heads. I use one and have one as a back up.

2 Emperor 4x12s. I use both but could get by with a half stack if I had to.

2 guitars.

Way too many picks and packs of strings.

Gaffer's Tape.

Toothpicks and super glue.

Extra instrument and patch cables.

An additional distortion pedal.

Two ground lifts.

And I always have my Leatherman on my belt.

In Europe, I also have a few US-EU plug adapters and I use a power supply that will work with EU power.

I need to start bringing fuses and more extension cords/power strips. Those are the two that always slip my mind. Never blown a fuse, but I always need extra power somewhere. I'm also going to bring a second tuner in the future so I can tune and restring backstage without bringing my pedal board off stage.

• Moderators

Spare 9 volt batteries.

But, don't stick 'em in your pocket.

I did that once, and mid-set my leg felt like it was burning.

Apparently, I had a coin in my pocket that touched +/- at the same time.

Instant heat!
:facepalm:

Ha, I did that once too.

I was walking down the street and suddenly was like "uh, why does my leg feel like it's burning?"

:facepalm:

• Members

While I don't consider myself a "pro" one thing I can add to this thread is although I travel light I keep my "toolkit" in one of those big red toolboxes in the trunk of my car. Stays there all the time and contains all the stuff that's been mentioned above(cords, capos, mics, strings, pics etc.) including a power bar. Honestly,I think I've used it more to bail out bands I've gone to watch than for myself. Usually get a beer out of the deal too!

• Members

In 35 years of playing I've never had a tube die or a transformer blow. What's going on with your amps that you can't even count the number of times it's happened to you?

For about 7 years, I did about 200-250 gigs a year (mid 90's to early 2k's) and since then I've done about 75-150 per year. Before that it was about 20 per year since the mid 80's. Do the math.

I'll throw a few recent examples: I played a gig 2 weeks ago at a dive bar apparently with bad power. I noticed slight power flux during the gig. But the ol fender blues deluxe seemed to make it thru. The next day I drove 4 hours to do a big gig. Plug in and do sound check and I heard an intermittent problem. I re-seated the tubes and that seemed to do the trick. Then I go up to start the show and guess what, and I flip the standby switch and crackle, crackle, crackle. Bad tube right? Powerblock ready to go. Problem might have been caused by the bad power from the gig the night before.

About 2 months ago, I show up for a gig and after I let my amp warm up, I flip the standby switch to my #1 amp, and no sound. It's about 15 years old and has seen hundreds of gigs. I piddle with the tubes to no avail. Powerblock to the rescue. Turns out a solder joint on one of the greenboards attached to the pre amp came loose. Off to the tech.

A year ago, I'm subbing for a friend on an artist gig for 2 shows fairly close to home. First gig goes well. I loaded into their cartage after the first gig and we left for the second gig. It was a festival and about an hour before I go on, the stage manager asks me to come check out my amp. My amp (it's still in the road case) had fallen off the the back of the stage. Open up the road case and glass everywhere. Powerblock to the rescue.

The transformer blow was 2 years ago, 1 gig after I purchased a vintage MusicMan amp. It was a local gig. Warm it up, flip the standby, and the stage goes brown as my amp just SUCKS all the power, then starts to smoke and then POW. All dead. Tranny gone, board fried. STILL bummed about that one.

In the years I was on the road, I programmed several patches into my GT3 for emergency use thru the monitors, since we had great monitor people. Since I don't tour much anymore, I bring the powerblock cuz I play a bunch of smaller places, mostly local. Sometimes there isn't a monitor guy, or even a soundman.

So in the past 2 or so years, I've had several times the poerblock saved my ass, and that is just in the past few years. So neyyahhhh....:p

• Members

I guess I must be lucky or something, but I played 6 nights a week for about 4 years straight, three on the road, and used the same amp ('74 Music Man HD-130 w/ 2 10s) and only replaced the output tubes once, and never blew anything but the occasional fuse when power surges happened. I went on to use that amp for another 15 years doing weekends, still without problems.

Now I've used my HRD for 10 years, never had any problems except replaced the output tubes (never blew any) and changed the speaker for a less middy sound. Knock on wood.

• Members

I guess I must be lucky or something, but I played 6 nights a week for about 4 years straight, three on the road, and used the same amp ('74 Music Man HD-130 w/ 2 10s) and only replaced the output tubes once, and never blew anything but the occasional fuse when power surges happened. I went on to use that amp for another 15 years doing weekends, still without problems.

Now I've used my HRD for 10 years, never had any problems except replaced the output tubes (never blew any) and changed the speaker for a less middy sound. Knock on wood.

It was a 115-65. I've known a couple of guys here in Nashville who use 'em, and they love em. Reliable, etc. Got it off ebay. Played it after I got it, did one gig, and at #2, Poof. I never looked under the hood. I took it to my tech after and it would have cost too much to repair. So 'effin sad.

Yours seems like the norm.

• Members

extra fuses should be on eveyones list. they fix alot of inop amps

Archived