New to gigging? Guitarist essentials here

Kramerguy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a keyboard player - so there aren't any "user serviceable" parts that I can carry as spares (i.e., no strings, batteries, capos, picks, etc.) that will get me up and running. Since I use two keyboards - there's already some redundancy in my setup. What I do carry for emergencies is a "Plan". I know exactly how I'm going to do to work around the failure of any one piece of gear - including my mixer and my amplication.

If your "Plan" includes rewiring/rerouting something to send it through the PA - be certain to test it sometime before you happen to need it. Knowing that it can be done is in many cases very different than knowing how to do it.

• Members

I had an amp stop working for 30 seconds during a song for no reason and then start working again. Worked fine from then on. No clue why it happened. I have busted a string at a gig during a song, which sucks when you're playing acoustic solo and singing. I've had my pick go flying out of my hand while playing. Had the other guitarist in the band bust a string during a song years ago.

From a solo performer perspective, things are a little different. You can't have a backup for everything you bring, because you bring everything... pa, instruments, everything. I'm at the mercy of my PA. I can lose one speaker and I'm OK, but if the Yamaha combo mixer blows up, the rest of the show will be unplugged... when you're solo, your acoustic guitar is your ultimate backup plan. I bring a couple of spare cords, a spare keyboard sustain pedal, spare picks, and spare strings for the acoustic and the electric, though. I guess if I were making big dollars I'd have a backup combo mixer. But if I were making big dollars, I'd hire a band.

• Members

As I read I got to wondering why you don't just gig with the powerblock...
;)

GaJ

{censored}...if it sounded as good as a Boogie or a Fender I'd buy 5 of 'em. Slather 'em up and make hot monkey love to 'em.....:love:....

If the industry could come up with serious tone in a package that size for that price....whew...game over.

Archived