With Go-Go being a very popular genre in the D.C. area....

Crüsty

• Members

....you see a lot of ads on the D.C. Craigslist looking for "Congo players"....

:facepalm:

You also see a lot of "craigslistings" where guys take them to task (you maybe? ;)). The response is that that has become common usage now within the genre that was invented here and it ain't - excuse me - isn't going to change.

• Members

What the Hell is Go-Go as a music genre? I am old enough to remember Go-Go dancers and the ever popular Go-Go boots but this new genre I have never heard of.

Max

here's an explanation

[YOUTUBE]XHHNXesVW88[/YOUTUBE]

the song

[YOUTUBE]wevVoB9IdFg&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Also found some stuff on wikipedia, especially about the importance of "congos"

Learned somethin' . . . .

• Members

so.. some 70's and maybe 80's era general funk got sub-categorized as "go-go"?? :facepalm:

People need to go outside more often.

We now have almost 75 different sub-types of metal, it's pretty obvious ppl are grasping at straws to label themselves as different, rather than just being different?

• Members

E.U. actually came about a good bit later than Chuck Brown. Lived in DC for almost a decade and the go-go scene is huge. (On a side note, go-go bands are a great way to get paid if you live in the DMV.) They don't call Chuck the Godfather of Go-Go for nothing. If you've heard it live, go-go does have elements in common with funk but it is definitely its own well defined sub-genre.

• Members

lol I guess I'm just getting old. I honestly liked "metal" when judas priest, whitesnake, poison, slayer, and quiet riot were all the same. Really didn't need to be sub-defined. In fact, I'd argue that it allowed us to be far more accepting of a wider variety simply because so much more fit inside the box.

Great.. I turned into my dad. time to go get a hooker and snort some coke off her ass to prove I'm nothing like him :thu:

• Members

I think it's useful to have names for genres and their various subdivisions. Look at genres that bands list when they're describing their music for various reasons. Sometimes it's uselessly vague and even misleading, in part because there isn't a clear way to name what they're actually doing.

Blues, funk, rock, R&B, jazz . . . they're all much too broad to be of much use to anyone.

Archived