Selling tickets?

austikins

• Members

We got a gig at this lounge and they want us to sell tickets. We didn't have to buy them or anything, so I'm not going to lose money if I dont sell them all (though I might not get invited back if I don't sell enough), but I still feel a little sleezy selling my family and friends tickets for some reason. Has anyone else had to do this? What are some strategies for selling tickets to people you only sort of know (coworkers, classmates, etc.)? They are $5 (from TicketsWest with my name and eveything, which is kind of cool...) and I don't know if I get anything for people that pay at the door. I get to keep 75% of the sales, so its not a bad deal. Any ideas?

• Members

It is a bad deal. They are expecting you to do all the work for them. NOt only entertain the patrons, but bring them in. While they just sit there and collect tha cash.

EVERY SINGLE BAND I know that has signed up for one of these has gotten screwed. If you don't mind doing all the work for someone else, go for it. But if you want your name on a ticket, you can give me 25% and I'll be happy to print you up some real fancy tickets.

• Moderators

It is a bad deal. They are expecting you to do all the work for them. NOt only entertain the patrons, but bring them in. While they just sit there and collect tha cash.

EVERY SINGLE BAND I know that has signed up for one of these has gotten screwed. If you don't mind doing all the work for someone else, go for it. But if you want your name on a ticket, you can give me 25% and I'll be happy to print you up some real fancy tickets.

Iif I so much as hear the word "tickets" from a promoter, I decline the offer and delete any future correspondences from them.

• Members

yeah, it's a bad deal...

none of your friends want to buy tickets from you, they just want to show up and have a good time.

there's this orange county bar that wanted us to sell tickets, but they would arrange the line up based on ticket sales... so you couldn't tell people buying your tickets what time you were going on. also they only counted your draw from ticket sales, and didn't add the people who showed up at the door.

didn't play there! =)

• Members

We don't go out and schlep tickets. Any shows we play where the venue/promoter does advance ticket sales, they are sold through Ticketmaster and/or at the venue and/or one of the sponsor's retail locations (ie. music store or record store etc.) Our fee is guaranteed negotiated in advance whether the place is doing tickets or door charge or not charging admission whatever. If it is a ticketed event, we tell our friends and fans WHERE they can get their tickets or to pay at the door.

• Members

My response to these venues is that we'll play there, but they have to put out X amount of radio ads, pay us X amount of dollars, and pay us X amount MORE if no one shows up for us to play to.

I had a regionally known local venue call us to play a show. She says "So, we need you guys to sell like 150 tickets (opening for a national act on the radio), and if you don't, you'd have to cover the cost of the tickets". I'm like.. "So.. you want a cover band, that's pulling in decent money, to book a date that could be booked making that money at your place instead, and we have to assume all the risk for 150 tickets? That doesn't make any business sense at all. Wouldn't it be smarter for me to rent out a Ruritan club or VFW hall or something and just sell tickets to my own event? At least that way, I may actually make some money for my risk. We've opened up for nationals before that are more well known than the one you're calling me about too. All that said, give me one compelling reason to do your show on the terms you gave me?" She stammered and stuttered, before sheepishly saying something like agreeing to disagree, then thanked me for my time and politely hung up.

People just want something for nothing. A promoter, a ticketsalesman, and an entertainer are three DIFFERENT jobs, and three different people should be doing them (although, anyone doing any of those jobs WELL will have a little crossover in some instances). Anyone who expects to under pay or not pay me to do an extra person's job has seriously lost it. I need to start telling them that if they are willing to cover the difference in what we make at the club and $2000, then I'll let them come out and move gear. Pfft..

• Members

I'm not thrilled about the idea, but given the circumstances and the fact that I don't much room to negotiate things like radio ads and stuff because we are still breaking into the scene, what can I do to sell more tickets? I've posted an ad on Craigslist, made flyers to put up at work, guitar shops, coffee shops, and the community college, and created an event on Facebook for my local friends to see. What are some other ideas to sell tickets?

• Moderators

I'm not thrilled about the idea, but given the circumstances and the fact that I don't much room to negotiate things like radio ads and stuff because we are still breaking into the scene, what can I do to sell more tickets? I've posted an ad on Craigslist, made flyers to put up at work, guitar shops, coffee shops, and the community college, and created an event on Facebook for my local friends to see. What are some other ideas to sell tickets?

Unless you're a known band with a solid draw, all you can really do (that seems effective to me) is work Facebook (and other social networking sites) as well as word-of-mouth to get all your family, friends, and friends-of-friends to buy tickets.

• Members

I've had to sell tickets before, its totally appropriate if you're new to the scene. The deal we had to do several times was 100 tickets for 1$ and then you sell them at whatever value you want, but the door price is 8$. I promoted the hell out of it, did the deal, stood in the parking lot before the show and sold the tickets for 5$... I made a couple hundred bucks... no big deal... Unless youre already selling out every venue you play, why not promote yourself? It doesn't cost you much and can really help build a fan base. Go anywhere with lots of flyers. You wanna make money? Earn it.

This being said. I'm never selling tickets outside a venue again. Haha

• Members

In a previous band we had a show like this. first 50 people that came in with your tickets you got $100. You get another $100 for every 25 after that. So if you bring in 100 people you make $400. Sounds good right?

We did one show and were able to pull in like 80 people, cool $300 (we were new to the scene and got all of our friends etc)

Then we got a call on a Monday, can you fill in this thursday, same deal with tickets.

Ok sure. We put together the show, and told all of our friends LAST MINUTE. We brought in 73 people on short notice. We left there with $100 split 4 ways. We pleaded with them that we helped them out on short notice, just give us the extra 2 people for an extra $100. At the least they would not have had nearly the business that came in had we not done the show.

We left with $25/person. I vowed that day (and in my youth I probably shouldnt have told the manager what I did :) ) never to play a ticket show again.

• Members

There is always one guy who everybody hates to see at a party or a bar. The guy who sells insurance or Amway or some multi-level marketing scheme and sees every social interaction as a chance to "sell you." No matter how many times you tell him you aren't interested, the conversation always winds up back at "you don't have enough life insurance, skin cream, snipe-berry extract, etc."

You're being asked to become the band-guy version of "that guy."

• Members

You're never going to sell any tickets if you fail to tell people where the venue is when you're spamming them.

Or did you think there's only one Hard Rock?

I don't think he's spamming. He's just stating how local bands playing at local Hard Rocks have to sell tickets. I think it is pretty common.

• Members

You're never going to sell any tickets if you fail to tell people where the venue is when you're spamming them.

Or did you think there's only one Hard Rock?

Settle down there cheetah. I am not trying to sell tickets or spam. I am explaining how the hard rock works here in Pittsburgh, PA

• Members

Settle down there cheetah. I am not trying to sell tickets or spam. I am explaining how the hard rock works here in Pittsburgh, PA

Sorry, my bad. Looked at first glance like a spam fail...we get them a lot here!:wave:

Is the selling tickets thing working out for you?

• Members

To the OP:

Buy as many of the tickets as you can afford, and give them away to people that you think may like your band. Then you can consider it a promotional expense. If they do, in fact, like your band, then hopefully at some future gig they will be willing to pay to see you.

If you're a new band with no track record, it's nigh-impossible to get people to invest money in the possibility that you might be good. The only people who will do that are friends and family who are not there because (or at least, not JUST because) they like the band, but because they like you, personally. Never judge your success by whether people in that category come to see you, and try to avoid situations where the success or failure of a gig depends on those people showing up. It's illusory success.

For real success, you need to build a buzz and reputation, and to do that, you need to get people to see you. Giving them a free ticket to your show is one way to do that. But be prepared for some of the people you give tickets to, to not show up. It happens. Hell, often MOST of the people who say they intend to come to a show, don't show up.

Good luck!

• Moderators

To the OP:

If you're a new band with no track record, it's nigh-impossible to get people to invest money in the possibility that you might be good. The only people who will do that are friends and family who are not there because (or at least, not JUST because) they like the band, but because they like you, personally.

Exactly. I don't think it's bad to use the "friends and family" draw, but it's one of those things you should save for special occasion a time or two a year... like, if you're having a CD release show at a bigger venue, just to help make it the biggest show possible, or something like that. But you shouldn't confuse it with an actual draw.

Archived